Note to New Members ×

Turned off to softboots forever!

SWriverstone

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have stats but I suspect the median if you looked at catalogs would be somewhere around 4-500. My point is, affordable boots could be made available if the market was sufficient.
Yea, I was just asking for an guesstimate. I guess I was coming more from the "same price as softboots" direction more than the "affordable" direction. Does that make sense? I think I should probably take D-Subs point and say that I've become too invested in this discussion.

alpine boots go for almost the same exact price as ski boots. I noticed that right away. They are almost the same, just different toe pieces. Well, there are other minor differences, but nothing that would cost alot more or less. An ok pair of boots would defintly be around $400, same as alpine boots.

Not to beat a dead horse ...

My girlfriend started on softboots a couple years ago. Through some coercing on my part, she acquiesced to trying hardboots. Since then, she looked back only once, and vowed not to look back again. :biggthump Both her experiences were on the same freeride deck.

However, I'm wondering now about the ankle strength argument ... Being a relative beginner to both soft and hardboots, it is possible that her ankle strength wasn't great enough to get the most out of her softboots. That said, she has way more control in all conditions with the hardboots than she did with the soft, and she's a lot smoother too. More importantly still; she's having a lot more fun, and aspires to laying down some trenches!

There was another 'thread' within this one about softboots helping improve the hardboot experience/skill. Having never used softboots, I cannot comment on this. Although, learning how to carve a snowboard has definitely improved my skiing.

I love to ski, and ride hardboots, and will likely do both on all kinds of terrain. And, I'll always be searching for the perfect carve.

Oh, I fall into category "B" - people who love controlled, sustained speed (and carving all kinds of corners!!!)