Note to New Members ×

Medieval Torture..........boot pains

rikytheripster

Is it normal for your feet to feel like they are trapped in an ever tightening vice for the first few hours of riding each day?

I get the pain so bad that every lift i have to loosen ther clamps and even mid run. I do not tighten the boots excessively although bear in mind that i go 10 months in between boarding so maybe thats just why. Boots are raichle 324's.

Secondly for the first few days of riding it felt like i had ingrown toe nails on the inside of my big toe, so it hurt relatively but was more annoying. This was prob becasue my liners are a very tight fit even after using a toe box mould. Angles are 45 deg f&b.Luckily this disapeared after 4 days riding.

This normal too?

Lastly with 45/45 the outside of my feet hurt like hell for the first 4 days on the snow.It felt like the bone/tissue running parallel with my little toe (ie outside edge of foot when viewed plan) was bruised. I put this down to the fwd and back movements on the board.

Yet again is this normal?

cheers guys

I get similar pains with my Indy's. It doesn't last nearly as long but it's more everyday for the 1st 2-3 hrs. Then it's fine. I also get a bruise just above my ankle along the left side of my left (front) leg...I ride regular. I think it's because of the bumps and type of riding I'm doing as I don't get it as bad when riding groomers.

When you start your day on the mtn: tighten your boots just tight enough to keep your foot from moving. Tighten the buckle that holds the ankle in position (buckle just above ankle). Then tighten the next higher one and lastly the toe buckle. The toe buckle should be just barely strapped, but NOT tight. After you have warmed up for a few runs, then tighten the ankle strap a little more and others accordingly to reduce movement.

If your liners can be molded again, do it. Maybe the first fitting didn't turn out right.

Loosening some buckles is normal on the lifts. If your boots fit correctly, then no loosening is needed.

This weekend, I used a square of thick moleskin on the back of both of my heels and my boots fit great and I didn't have any heel movement. The thicker moleskin works way better than the thin stuff.

Good luck, Hugh

Guest jschal01
Is it normal for your feet to feel like they are trapped in an ever tightening vice for the first few hours of riding each day?

Yet again is this normal?

cheers guys

You need to find and see a good bootfitter. Without looking at your feet, then looking at hotspots after you've been in the boots a bit, it's impossible to tell precisely what the issue is (maybe need more arch support, maybe a punch, etc.) but that type of exceptional discomfort is not necessary. For any plastic shell boot the $$ you spend on bootfitting may be the most important $$ you spend.

It does not sound at first blush like a liner issue to me.

Go to a boot fitter

http://www.bootfitters.com/

(I see your in the UK, but mabey the have a similar concept over there)

Or

Try finding a old ski shop around that the owner fits boots really well.

Or

go to a podiatrist. Oddly mine is a big skier and made me some custom inserts for about $100( I got a little lesson on boot issues for free) Much better fitting than the custom one I had made at a ski shop.

Sometime there is not much you can do. I happen to have a small extra bone in my foot so I have to have inserts. My foot goes numb sometimes its just the pressures on some of the nerves on the front of the foot. Nothing I can do.

Hi paappraiser,

About your foot going numb, do you have a metatarsal bar on/under your inserts?

My doctor made the inserts, they go under my whole foot. covered in vinyl etc. Not just a pad under my heel or arch but a whole custom orthotic that was molded to my foot.

Per the feet doctor :

The actual numbing is because there is apparently a big nerve that runs down the front/side of the foot. Mine is very sensitive or just higher than most and gets smashed on shoes or boots. My feet will go numb in the gym on a tredmill or stairmaster, thats why I primarly ride the bikes. (My brain is saying "can you hear me" but foot is in a bad cell zone)

Oddly enough, I had a ACL in my left leg a few years ago. The surgeon had to cut a few nerves in the knee to get the instuments in and the Left foot doesnt go numb as easy. But I have no feeling whatsoever on the side of my knee.. (and yes it was orthoscopic, I chose to use my own doner ligamanet for the repair so I do have a large scar on the kneecap)

I just have screwed up feet. lol

If you have a suggestion to help. Im all ears.

whatever you do, make sure you see a custom bootfitter. As jschal01 said, its the most important money you will spend. If you can't be comfortable in your boots, you can't enjoy riding. It might be kind of expensive, but your feet will thank you later.

My boots still don't fit 100% right because I accidently got them a little bit small. After getting them stretched,I can ride them comfortably, but only barefoot. Also, I usually buckle the boots up pretty loose for the first 2 runs. After that, the boots heat up and I can tighten them alot more. Its ridiculous how much more flex my burton winds have after just a few runs.

It seems like your boots are a bit small for your feet, well at least your toes. Get it stretched out, or make it wider, shouldn't cost too much. Ive had all of the pains you mentioned, but they have gone away, and no, it shouldnt be normal, just bad luck. Hope this helps.

I was suffering from some heel lift inside my Raichles. It seemed to happen no matter how tight I cranked 'em down. So I picked up some of those Dr.Scholl's blue gel arch support inserts at the drug store, then just started wearing thick Smartwool socks (I was wearing ultra-thin socks before). It's hell getting my boots on now...but no more heel lift! They fit and feel fine now for hours!

Scott

Hi paappraiser,

Having the full insole does not mean that you automatically have a metatarsal bar.

The bar lifts metatarsal heads, spreading the bones and releaves the pressure on the nerves which run between the bones. Have a look at the symptoms for a morton's neuroma to see what I'm talking about.

I had a numbing in my right foot and it was disgnosed as a morton's neuroma. Adding a bar to my insoles helped a great deal so I thought I would mention it.

Hi paappraiser,

Having the full insole does not mean that you automatically have a metatarsal bar.

The bar lifts metatarsal heads, spreading the bones and releaves the pressure on the nerves which run between the bones. Have a look at the symptoms for a morton's neuroma to see what I'm talking about.

I had a numbing in my right foot and it was disgnosed as a morton's neuroma. Adding a bar to my insoles helped a great deal so I thought I would mention it.

Do they sell these somewhere?

Hey, Ripster!

I remember 2 years ago,when I started on hard boots. I had a brand new pair of Head Stratos with a non-heated liner. I had a pair of custom footbed made at the time of purchase.

I recall doing stops every 2 minutes to wipe my tears from the pain I was having on my feet. :(

Even with custom footbed, I had the feeling my boots were too short. That was until I started to ride. Then I was feeling better about the length. But I have considered selling everything thinking the sport wasn't for me! Until someone gave me the very same advice I am sending you. I by no means consider myself an expert by the way!

After about 6 half days of riding (I just couldn't do more then that), all became better as the liner started to pack up. My only advice is to hang in there for a few more sessions. You might want to wear your boots while watching TV to help pack those liner or get them molded.

I have tried to ride with my old soft boots (Flow Morphan). Although my feets are comfy, I just can't ride without my hard boots for securing that heel down!

Those advice are only valid while assuming the boots are right for you. My feet were pretty wide to start with. So I read somewhere that the Head boots were fitting wider feet better. Also, my feets don't have any abnormalities.

In a nutshell, I can feel your pain, just hang in there for a bit more, if it doesn't get better, then start thinking about going further in boot fitting, custom footbeds or maybe switch boot company if your feets are too wide.

Good luck and let us know how you solved the issue! :biggthump