Note to New Members ×

Where to go near Seattle...day trip

Guest astan100

Guest astan100

Hey guys,

I got a free flight out to San Francisco for work, so I'm thinking of turning it into a vacation. I have 2 options:

1) rent a car, drive somewhere. Then I have to pay for car + lodging though. Which leads me to idea 2.

2) fly to Seattle to stay with my friend and steal his car and do some day trips. I'd hit Whistler, but I'm already going in April and don't really want to drive 4 hours in his car.

Any local places by Seattle that are good? I heard it's a rough season over there (like the Northeast). I'll be on ready to ride March 9th-12th.

-Allen

Guest thomas_m
Hey guys,

Any local places by Seattle that are good? I heard it's a rough season over there (like the Northeast). I'll be on ready to ride March 9th-12th.

-Allen

Huh? Yeah, it's been so rough that Baker had to close over MLK weekend due to too much snow creating dangerous conditions inbounds... ;) They were actually very close to their one month record in January.

Mt Baker about 2.5 hrs from Seattle

Crystal Mountain about 2 hrs from Seattle

Stevens Pass about 1-1.5 hrs from Seattle traffic depending

Summit at Snoqualmie (4 small areas) about 1hr from Seattle

Post again a week or so in advance and I'm sure one of the local group would be happy to meet you and/or give you detailed beta depending on what sort of riding you want to do.

T.

Hey guys,

I got a free flight out to San Francisco for work, so I'm thinking of turning it into a vacation. I have 2 options:

1) rent a car, drive somewhere. Then I have to pay for car + lodging though. Which leads me to idea 2.

2) fly to Seattle to stay with my friend and steal his car and do some day trips. I'd hit Whistler, but I'm already going in April and don't really want to drive 4 hours in his car.

-Allen

Not a rough season here unless you think there is TOOOOOO much snow. Yea , ok Baker had to close for a couple of days due to too much snow - like 9 feet in a couple of days, yea yea the chairs were draggin thru the snow - yea that is kinda rough season but we have had to adjust. Oh, yea there are a few chair places at Crystal that have orange tape perimeter around areas under the chair cuz it it to close to the chair and you could get your head hit by the snowboards on the chair lift. ok so it is tough to snowboard around here this year. But if you get off the main groomed areas that only have 100 inches of snow you can enjoy yourself in the deep powder like Crystal Mt has right now and loose your self. Bring a radio. So anyway after all this B.S> I would suggest Crystal Mountain for your day trip. Big area of great snow everywhere and 6 person high speed chair to whisk you a way. Yes, 6 person not a typo.

AL

Mt Baker has the rep of being the holy grail of backcountry. Bring a beacon and a buddy and go for it off the Pan dome. Daily lift ticket prices are very reasonable, season passes are not, so while I live closer to Baker, I ride at Stevens Pass most of the time. Snoqualmie is closest to Seattle, but also the lowest in altitude, so while they are being pounded like the rest right now, if it warms up they may suffer the most. Post up before you come this way, you can probably find someone(s) to ride with for sure. And if you have a splitboard, I could be convinced to share some suffering with you!

Guest astan100

LOL...I just assumed all that rain made it miserable or I thought I read it somewhere.

Fine...it's just bad here in New Jersey ok? I just wanted people to feel bad for me. :)

Crystal Mountain looks good…the 3100 ft vertical is a pretty sweet selling point for someone who gets excited about 2100 ft verticals around here. I’ll be riding on Thursday and Friday during the day, so crowds aren’t an issue at all. So, assuming I don’t get horribly lost, it should be awesome.

Thanks for the responses!

-Allen