Note to New Members ×

Burton FP for beginning carver?

Michael_A

I see these for sale relatively often for not much $.

How would they be for a new carver? I'm 160#, been softbooting for 2 years and am getting pretty good at carving on my setup. I'm not very aggressive and spend most of my time on a small east coast mountain (Crotched Mtn) with fair amount of crowds and not-so-wide trails.

If they are suitable, what length should I look for? Anything special I should know about them?

Michael

157ish would be your best bet. The 1st year, brown tire tread graphic was pretty stiff. I used to ride it for fun on our pimples here, when I was 190lbs, I also had 167,173. 157 was really too small for me but could really crank some crazy little turns with it. I'd think at your weight 160, it would be versitile at small/medium resorts. Sidecut was about 9.5, waist 19.

Later years had different flexes, narrower waists, 18cm, same sidecut. I can't remember which graphic was which flex/waist. The approximate cronology: gray, blue metallic, red, yellow, black? I'm lost after that. But I'm sure someone else here'll know.

Hope this helps some. :)

i rode east coast last year on my fp 157, and it was great, short enough to run the people slalom but still long enough to lay out some good carves. I have the softer flex board, dont remember which year it was but it's the pinkish/redish topsheet with the orange side wall.

I started carving in 1999 with the board im still riding now FP 180s, with suzuka deeluxe boots, td2 step ins with the suspention kit which is new this year @ welch Village MN, 800 ft verticals hills. Im 165# , this board has done more than hold up, thankfully im only 165#, sounds like 165 FP you may like.?