Note to New Members ×

whistler/blackcomb

JGU

Hello,

I'm headed out to Whistler BC next week and wanted some advice on whether to bring the alpine set-up. I ride in the Northeast on a regular basis and spend 50% of my time on the freeride (custom 166) and 50% on the alpine (fc 171). I've never been out west before. Is there too much powder out there to bring the alpine or am I better off just bringing the free-ride set up?

Thanks for the advice.

Hello,

I'm headed out to Whistler BC next week and wanted some advice on whether to bring the alpine set-up. I ride in the Northeast on a regular basis and spend 50% of my time on the freeride (custom 166) and 50% on the alpine (fc 171). I've never been out west before. Is there too much powder out there to bring the alpine or am I better off just bringing the free-ride set up?

Thanks for the advice.

Hey, I've been to Whistler twice. The conditions there change season to season. The first time I went I had been living in Boston for a few years and the was over 3 feet of powder down big open bowls was pretty epic, the second time I had spent a few years in Tahoe and so the dust on crust was a little underwhelming.

Looking at the snow report it looks like they are getting a lot of snow and will continue to do so in the next week or so. They do a good job grooming and the Panorama trail area on Blackcomb is a lot of fun to carve on, so I would say if you have the room... bring it! Another option is to just bring your boots/bindings and demo a Prior board from the Whistler Factory or Fanatyk Co in the village. Last time I was there I demo'd a Prior 174 which was a lot of fun to carve and still could float in the powder and swing through the trees. Also note that the Prior boards are better suited to the bumpy, choppy snow conditions that you get in the West than your Donek (homefield advantage).

Guest Whistler Rider

Definitely bring both boards if you can. It's so huge here that there's always terrain suitable for both. If you only bring one board you'll wish you had the other. The snows fantastic right now. You've lucked into a great time to come.

Thanks for the update whistler rider...that's great news about the snow cover. I just came back from Sunday River, Maine about a few hours ago. I had a great time riding today but the snow is lacking here in the North East. My buddy and I hit the glades and he took a nice chunk out of his base...I'm looking forward to riding in BC! Thanks for the update.

Good looking out - I appreciate the advice. I didn't want to bring too much gear with me and the boot and binding idea is a great idea. Perhaps a Prior 4x4 would be fun to try out. Thanks again.

I just got back from there - rode both mountains. Had a superb run down from the top of Whistler Peak Chair to the bottom of Creekside. Called the Peak to Creek run. It is 5000 feet vertical drop - No lie here - check the trail map - You have to run it - at the top there was powder over my knees and would spray up to my chest and face. Damn wish I was there now. I rode my 179 Prior 4X4 everyday everywhere - fresh untouched stuff to the groomers and then to mogal field. Did not do to well in the Mogals since they are closer together than my 179 so it did not fit very well but who cares - the soft stuff made up for it. there is over a 100 inches of snow at mid station and more snow everyday. Be sure to run Ridge Runner on Blackcomb - one of the best there on your FC. Also recommend Seventh Heaven - any of the 3 main groomed runs.

We have been getting puked upon, more systems expected either tonight or tomorrow, Records set for Jan snowfall in recent years.

got the head fake yesterday expecting 12 cms was closer to 30 cms up in the alpine, and the old 79 4x4 did better than expected with my fat 210 lb carcass on top ,

Today another 14-16cm claimed , on the old one off Prior BXer definitly the weapon of choice for today

Come prepared to deal with powder and some very sweet packed powder corduroy in the am,

Dave*