Note to New Members ×

Deleting of Threads

midwestspeedster

Question: Are threads deleted once an item has been sold? The reason I ask, I posted a response to Thor VonRippington's thread where he was selling a Madd 170. I asked him if he received any of the three emails I sent him through this site because I received no response or opportunity to buy this board. This thread has since been removed as far as I can tell.

Leaving these threads up could be a way to create a feedback source on buyers and sellers. I not saying that TV did a wrong here, he may not of gotten any of my messages. But, if he did do a wrong it would be nice to let other people know about it.

Just a thought

-Tim

Deleting it is not a bad thing IMHO. Keeps people from bumping three year old posts (like what happened yesterday).

But yeah we need a feedback system. I too wanted that Madd 170 but I passed due to self-induced paranoia. What sucks is TV's more than likely a legit BOL'er and I just missed the deal of the century.

:smashfrea

midwest

perhaps the board was already sold, or in the process of selling? Or perhaps he didnt get your emails?

or perhaps, just possibly, your 2nd and third were less than friendly?

thing is...the only person a seller is truly obligated to is a commited buyer, no? no one is under any obligation to respond to any and all emails, or make an effort to keep perfect track of who was "first"

in a way, you kindof are saying that by not responding to your emails he did something "wrong"

not true.

and the thread was deleted because others were complaining about not having been given attention as well.

Kirk,

The Madd did sell.

D-Sub,

I am not blaming TV of anything because there are unknowns. I am using this as an example of what could have been. Chances are I screwed something up. If those posts were left up a prospective buyer/seller could search threads to see if there were good or bad transactions in the past.

I am not trying to recreate the wheel or make things difficult. It just seems that there is a lot of money changes hands on this forum. Usually more money means more problems.

BTW, D-sub are you the moderator?

-Tim

I joined BOL for one reason. I needed a new lifeline to feed my addiction. Like most shops, the one I was using stopped selling the good stuff. This site for me is for business transactions, not a social life or a place to vent. Translation: I don't want to spend any more time than I have to here. I'm new to the site and I don't do paypal. If that keeps me from a close, my loss. If you are suspicious of me or anyone else, ask for references from other transactions. Do you really think someone ripping people off would get to go away silently or come back for more here at BOL? Fin has done us all a great service in setting up this site. The rules are simple. All we have to do is have a little respect for our fellow hardbooters. If your feelings get hurt, go kick the dog. We don't live in a perfect world, deal with perfect people, or have perfect websites. (I bet most of us can carve a perfect turn though.)

I have a buyer for the Madd that I have enough confidence in to remove the thread. My bad if that is not proper etiquette. I posted as sold and then the whining started. I was tired of babysitting that thread in the first place. Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I would do it again. If you want to look at threads of sold gear, suggest to Fin that he set up a page for it. During this transaction, I went in order of messages received, put the board on hold for one guy for 16 or so hours while he "thought about it" (above and beyond in my opinion), and responded to EVERY email. I still have them all in my sent file. If it were me, no response would mean my number didn't come up and I missed out. I was hosed by a seller who agreed to price, terms, and told me he would let me know if someone wanted to step ahead... none of which he did. I told him how I felt on a personal email and let it go. I don't see the need for all the drama.

Bottom line here... I lost a little money to try something new. I will do it again. If I offend you in the process, tell me so we can clear the air. This should be all about having fun and supporting our passion.

Hey Thor you sound cool by me. You do what you gotta do to move your stuff. It's all good. Perhaps me not seeing you much on BOL made me hesitate on the board but that's my loss and others gain.

With references I woulda mailed you a personal check right away. That board is worth so much more than what you sold it for ;)

I just posted mine for the Renntiger I sold tonight as a courtesy to anyone else who might view or pull up the thread I originally posted. My post wasn't even on the front page anymore, but I figured it's a good way to let everyone know that it's no longer available. Unless I'm mistaken there is no real way of doing things set in concrete here on Bomber about posting/selling/buying equipment. So as far as comments made about peoples inability to understand how the system works I have to error on the side of those who are slightly confused about the whole situation. Maybe Fin can come up with a SOLD insert to threads or some other way of marking posts here on classifieds as sold in bold red letters that is a "click and your done" for the seller and a "noticeable eyecatcher" for buyers? Buying and selling here is based alot on reputation and there have been new members who have ripped off or stiffed honest people in the past, so the old adage "buyer beware" is still a good thing to remember. But as with everything here, everyones opinions and ideals are different, so until something concrete comes along to guide us we'll continue to interpret things as individuals,

Good luck,

Paul

IMHO I think it's useful to keep the old sold posts up - it helps establish a historical price for equipment. How much is a 2000 178 Factory Prime worth? look at the last few sales... useful for both buyers and sellers to know the recent price history so the sellers don't price too low and get ripped off or price too high and get no responses...same advantages for buyers -

I might be wrong, it's happened before, but only the moderators can edit the thread title. If we could add "SOLD" to the title when the item goes, it would make sense to leave the thread up. Otherwise, I'm with TV, it's better to delete the thread otherwise you get the garage sale guys a month later, "will you take $50 for it?"