Note to New Members ×

O Sin 4807 178 swallowtail mod

utahdeafcarver

Oh, I have sinned! You've heard from me rarely (due to Ph.D. studies) but I promised I would attach some photos of the O'Sin 4807 178 swallowtail mod I had done on my board. I have ridden this baby several times this year in the Utah pow and it is SWEET! :biggthump Sweeter than the stock board, that's for sure, and in my opinion, much more maneuverable. The tail does not feel breakable at all (but I'm a lightweight and I wouldn't want to land on it). It was cut and epoxied by Dennis Nazari at Salty Peaks (I can walk there from my home in under two minutes, how's that for a second home?!). Anyhoo, I just might get up to PC for the WTC on Friday and will bring it (but not for you to demo). :nono:

(play elevator music here)

Well dammit. Seems there is a 97.7 KB size limit on a jpg photo. Both photos I have are 110 & 118 KB. Anyone care to share how I can attach the photos? Other option is to send the photos as an e-mail attachment but I'm afraid I'll be overwhelmed with e-mails from everyone who wants to see it.

Not all jpg codecs are created equal... and please don't drop down to 800x600 if you can.

Hum, just shot me an email and I'll reply back with an email addy you can send them to. I'll resize and host them for you and then post back here with them. :)

Edit: I'm particularly interested as I have a 4807 waiting to be modded. :D

Thanks for the many offers to host my photos. I've sent them to Dan to post on my behalf. One more point, for those of you considering the mod: Dennis Nazari at Salty Peaks said he would go ahead and do the same mod on his own 4807, now that he's guinea pigged my board! I don't have specs, but the highest point in the cut is at least a fist size below the last inserts. It's stable and does not feel fragile whatsoever.

And here they are: <a href="http://www.gamingjapan.net/images/4807_2.jpg">full board</a> and <a href="http://www.gamingjapan.net/images/4807_1.jpg">detail on cutout</a>.

Looks pretty hot! As if the 4807 isn't enough of an attention magnet already...tempting

PhD studies be damned, I think we need a detailed ride review from utahdeafcarver. :D

all that trouble to host a photo that is exactly the same size, no SMALLER than the one I posted for example.

utah...just...do it yourself. unless youre on a mac (in which case there are many, many other photo editing progs that will let you resize)

just curious:

- why cut the board?

- is it cut in half all the way

- Is it reglued somehow? ( if yes why cut it? ;))

I assume it frees the torsional stiffness, which is pretty high up the nose on that model because of the v-hull. But in powder torsion is not so usefull is it?

Curious :):)

Nils

Hey D-Sub, I appreciate your response with the "how-to" but I just don't have the time or desire at the moment to do it. Easiest way out was to e-mail Dan after he offered to host.

Nils, the stock 4807 board has a small cut in the tail that didn't really do much to help the board float in pow. The cut you see in the pics has done wonders for this board and I recommend it to others. It is just a swallowtail cut, not a cut through the entire length of the board. The cut edge has been epoxied.

Buggs, yep, Dennis/Salty Peaks will do mods, repairs, whatever is needed; they are a full-service board shop. They fixed my busted tail/edge on a Burton Ultra Prime several years ago. Best of all, the guys and gals there are cool and helpful. Of course, the mod wasn't free, and since I'm not handy with power tools, I wasn't goint to do it myself. I know many people on this board have such a gift, so I imagine those who have the means can DIY.

I did this a couple weeks ago to get a better feel in ALL that powder we've been havingnewsin.jpg I'd be happy to do yours Bobby,,, I like my line better than the "nitro" look & it wasn't more than 30 minutes start to finish...Still handles the hardpack well just a little softer in the tail, makes it ride a little "longer" :biggthump

Jeff / Peter, have you tried riding it on hardpack yet?

One of the things I like about the 4807 is that I'm not necessarily bought to tears when I have to take on some hardpack. Just how much is this versatility compromised my making it more of a true ST?

Edit: Hum, will I even have enough board to do this with my shorter 168cm 4807...?

Buggs,

Salty Peaks:

http://www.saltypeaks.com/

Give em a call and ask for Dennis Nazari (owner). He's not always in but I'm sure the guy/gal you speak with can take care of you.

Or go with Peter C. His mod sure looks sweet!

As for the hardpack, it rides just fine. Of course, I'm not laying it over like I would a GS board but it still carves just fine.

Hey D-Sub, I appreciate your response with the "how-to" but I just don't have the time or desire at the moment to do it. Easiest way out was to e-mail Dan after he offered to host.

yup...at least now youll know for next time. teach a man to fish....

As for the hardpack, it rides just fine. Of course, I'm not laying it over like I would a GS board but it still carves just fine.
Still handles the hardpack well just a little softer in the tail, makes it ride a little "longer" :biggthump

^ Awesome

What did you guys cut through your boards with? Then what, just smear the fresh cut edge with some slow-setting epoxy to keep the sandwitch from separating?

Also, what are you guies' (I made that work up) weight? I'm tempted to pick up a 178cm to do this mod on...

---

On the side: A really nice _free_ image tweaker is PhotoFiltre, which you can get from sites like tucows.com. It has a really good jpeg codec, so you get superior quality/file size compared to a lot of generic apps.

Here's a direct link for the app: http://www.tucows.com/preview/361834

Slightly off topic but.......

I have a 185 rossi undertaker developing some stress risers/cracks in the swallow cut at the end of the finger wide section, I have been contemplating using a two to three inch hole saw to cut a " key hole" section out ala a prior swallow to stop the risers progressing.

Any issues ? Will the rossi survive or should I keep riding it till it explodes.?

Neat mod on the 4807.

dave*

Guest rick ferguson

This is nuts! I have this board and can't understand how it would float better. More surface area = more float , you have only shaved of a small percentage, thus increasing your chances of tail damage. While it "looks" cool and sounds so "custom" the difference really is'nt going to make the board feel longer, if anything -shorter. More flex and give and reduction of surface area results is a shorter feel board. What was the actual amount removed, volume? I deal with this all the time with surfboards and find that most are gunning for an excuse to be different and elite. Go ahead and cut your tails off on a out of production board and when your tail sucks in water, delams, and/or breaks, was it that big of a deal? Maybe I should cut a HUGE hole in the hood of my toyota pick up and put a scoop like a 80's hot wheel car so it will get more air, increase hp-right? better performance, right? Please , the level of performance by doing that mod to the snowboard needs to be made by the rider, NOT THE BOARD!!

Rick,

You are WRONG! If you can make the tail sink, the nose will float better / stay afloat better. To a certain extent, you can accomplish the same effect by moving the bindings to the back of the board. However, giving it more of a swallow tail will definitely work better, especially in light, fluffy powder.

In Tahoe the 4807 is pretty good, but it still lacks something on fluffy days. Its a major improvement over many other boards, but it could benefit from this mod.

Its not like surfboards where any design will work the same, regardless of conditions, rider and other stuff, right? I think you know something about surfboards, no?