Note to New Members ×

Helmets to Avoid

Jack M

<i>Originally posted by Pat Donnelly</i>:

Giro 9

IMO - the Giro 9 is a step up from a bicycle helmet. Giro is part of Bell Helmets and are manufactured in China. The Leedom I have (Limit) has been rebuilt (stryo foam replaced by Leedom) twice since 1999 - this was done in Norwood MA. The current repair was done on the day the helmet was received. In both cases I did not know the styro's integrity was in question. Some Mfg's liek Leedom offer an inspection service while others tell you to destroy and discard the helmet after an impact or after 3 or 4 seasons. If a hit is taken with the Giro then I will have to toss it as the styro foam is molded directly onto a thin layer of plastic.

Actually the Giro 9 was top rated in a recent Consumer Reports test. Here's what CR had to say about a few helmets they deemed unacceptible:

"HELMETS TO AVOID

Although our own tests suggest that the Boeri Axis Rage would have passed the impact tests of the ASTM and European Committee for Standardization, shells of 7 of the 10 high-gloss Boeri Axis Rage helmets we tested shattered when we dropped them from about 6 3/4 feet onto a flat anvil. (This did not occur with the Rage’s Iron shell, which is made of a different material.) The high-gloss shell broke into large, sharp fragments that could cut the wearer’s face. And the chin-strap system was compromised, which could cause the helmet to come off (see Problem helmets). We’ve judged the Boeri Axis Rage helmet with high-gloss shell Not Acceptable.

Some samples of two helmets failed our test for chin-strap retention. A plastic ring connecting parts of the straps broke. If that happened during an accident, the helmet could shift or come off. Their names: the W Helmets W Ski w/Slider (see Problem helmets) and the Boeri Axis Rage (high-gloss and Iron versions have the same retention system). We recommend that you not buy those helmets. If you own one, consider replacing it.

We also checked all the helmets for warmth, ventilation, and resistance to being pushed out of position. As the Ratings show, some helmets will keep your head warmer or cooler than others, and some were more adept at staying in place on our panelists’ heads."

My point was when spending $100 to $160 for a helmet I would prefer owning one that is capable of being inspected and rebuilt when and if it is needed. On the other hand, Leedom has changed the design since 1999 and they just happened to have an old styro to fit my shell. There may not be one around the next time. Another issue was trying to find a lid to fit my large head. Both are XXL's, and the Leedom is a better fit for my head.

Guest OlderBoarder

i ride(carve) with an NZI Carbor Fibre helmet, which is made for motorcycle observed trials. it's as light as my Leedom was, but the Leedom always felt a bit cheesy compared to my NZI. i'll take a motorsports rated helmet any day. i also wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket under my shell jacket. it has armored elbows, shoulders, and spine protection. i complete my emsemble with padded mountain bike shorts and hard shell knee pads. aside from the protection, the padding keeps my joints and body parts noticibly warmer. hey, at 47, i don't bounce or recover from injuries as quickly as you youngins!:D

IIRC, this test was reflected in old message board or link was given there... Jack, can you give link to whole article (so I can help my decision for next bean-protection equipment)? I started to count my helmet's (Red's Skycap??) age and IIRC, it was bought November, 99, so I probably should replace it this season or next. So far it helped me in one heel-side edge catch on freeride board, on slide-scratch against rock and numerous bangs from skis (on shoulder of skiers, who like to turn around unexpectedly) and lift's security bar...

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Pat Donnelly:

Giro 9

IMO - the Giro 9 is a step up from a bicycle helmet. Giro is part of Bell Helmets and are manufactured in China. The Leedom I have (Limit) has been rebuilt (stryo foam replaced by Leedom) twice since 1999 - this was done in Norwood MA. The current repair was done on the day the helmet was received. In both cases I did not know the styro's integrity was in question. Some Mfg's liek Leedom offer an inspection service while others tell you to destroy and discard the helmet after an impact or after 3 or 4 seasons. If a hit is taken with the Giro then I will have to toss it as the styro foam is molded directly onto a thin layer of plastic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Leedom and a Giro. I prefer the Giro because it is lighter and not near as warm. If truly it is a step above a bike helmet then that is OK with me. I say this because I once had a “pile-driving” (head first) episode in the way of a direct slam into the ground on a single-track mountain bike decent at about 25+ MPH. The helmet (Specialized) only suffered a small break at the rear. Me nothing, not even a stiff neck. Of course I replaced it through Specialized for a fraction of the cost of a new one. I also understand that one good hit and you should replace a helmet anyway.

kt

Hey Limbo King (K-T), are you coming to the SES this year?

Rode today with the Giro, no problems. It is a lighter helmet than the Leedom and also not as warm, could have used a few degrees today. I talked to a few riders and skiers this week and I was surprised how many of them said they have taken at least on hard hit to their helmet, some of the lids were 4 years or older and they never gave it a thought to replace or at least return to the mfg. for inspection. I figured $100 was cheap insurance for a helmet as I will not ride without one.

Hey Pat.

I hope to make at least some of the SES again this year. Rode with some CO guys on Monday at Targee. Work has got me scrambling right now and the cost of lodging is what may stop me. Any one have room for the Summit side cheep? Will try to make the Aspen side at least.

kt