Note to New Members ×

How much powder can an Coiler AM handle?

eos4life

Just wandering if you could let me know how much powder can an Coiler AM 172 with a 23 cm waist handle?

I have a Burton Frontier 170 that I'm about to sale, it would be replace by the Coiler.

Will the Coiler float on a deep powder base, say 12 to 24 inches of the fluffy stuff? Not that I see lots of it (powder) but just curious to know the potential! ;)

Any info or experience would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Just wandering if you could let me know how much powder can an Coiler AM 172 with a 23 cm waist handle?

I have a Burton Frontier 170 that I'm about to sale, it would be replace by the Coiler.

Will the Coiler float on a deep powder base, say 12 to 24 inches of the fluffy stuff? Not that I see lots of it (powder) but just curious to know the potential! ;)

Any info or experience would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

I rode that exact board (AM 172 23cm waist) in 1ft+ a few weeks ago. It worked great, but was too stiff for me when it got chopped up and bumpy. It was made for a rider heavier than myself though.

I have the 172 with 21.5 waist (small feet). I've had it in 16" inches here in Aspen without any problem. Floated just fine as long as I was not at near deap stop speeds. it rips great down the fall line. I have a Burton Fish also but prefer the Allmtn if I am riding the slopes on a powder day in the morning, by afternoon I am usually beat up so i grab the Fish and mellow out in the trees. The AllMtn is just that much more stable when ripping up the untracked. It is far superior once the slopes turn to crud too since it is stiff enough it just blows through crud bumps. I had Bruce custom cut a Swallow tail into mine, small one so not to affect the carving capabilities much. PM me off the board and I can send you some photos. You can also talk to Bruce about it as he and I have now got quite a few others going the same route. It was an experiment that has turned out really good for me on powder days where I do like using this board.

Now if you want to get into tight tree riding then I prefer my Fish. I can slow it down and turn it faster in tight situations and with the different stance it's easier to stop look for a new line and get going again. The Allmtn likes to keep trucking. Also if you like the zipper line (lots of turns) along the trees when it gets cruddy then again the AllMtn isn't as fast a turner.

If you don't get many really deep powder days then the AllMtn will more than suffice you. Otherwise pick up a cheap powder only board for 2' or more type days.

jparker - at - sopris - dot - net

JoelP

I had Bruce custom cut a Swallow tail into mine, small one so not to affect the carving capabilities much. PM me off the board and I can send you some photos. You can also talk to Bruce about it as he and I have now got quite a few others going the same route.

One of them being Yours Truly :D

I currently have a Donek Axis 172, which has the same length, width, and effective edge, and almost identical sidecut to the stock template AM 172. Even at 190 pounds, I ride it in up to a foot of powder. I just keep some speed for the open flatter sections. Anything deeper and the OSin comes out.

BTW if you've been following my posts, the AM 172 12m scr I was talking about is going to be the one with the swallowtail. I just hope we get another good snow year at Bachelor next year! :eek:

Driving past cemetaries, my father would always ask us kids, "Do you kids know why they buried those people in there?"

Every time we'd say, "NO DAD!"

Every time he'd answer, "Because they're dead."

Just one of those dumb things that Dads do, that I now do because I'm a Dad myself.

You miss them when they're gone.

I wanted to thank the people that took the time to share their experiences with the AM type of board!

I feel confident about selling my Burton Frontier 170 and use the AM as my powder board! I only had 2 days in the last 6 years that I could ride with more than 12 inches of snow. So this AM board will cover the rare 4 to 6 inches of fresh non-groomed snow we get sometimes and it will also cover a bigger dump!

Thx!

Dad lost the end of his middle finger to an industrial lathe - he was fond of telling people he'd just met (especially kids, and also my girlfriend, now wife), that he had kept the severed end, and offered to show them.

He'd run off, and come back with a matchbox, open the box, and there inside, on a bed of cotton wool was the apparently severed end of a finger.

And he'd twitch it for effect - because it was his good finger that he'd inserted through a hole in the bottom of the box.

My wife screamed. Dad never got tired of bringing his finger out.

I have'nt ridden my AM 172 with 23cm waist in really deep stuff yet but I am going to Banff next week and then Kicking horse so if the conditions are right, I might be able to give you a RR

FWIW I have ridden in 15cms with it and it seems to float pretty good, but I think I need a longer board (177) for deeper powder, it does sink down a bit under my 240lbs of pure snowboarding muscle. But it is still really manoeverable and easy to rip big arcs in the POWPOW.

Oh, yeah, back on topic - I've got an AM 172 with the 21.5 waist and before that I had a 4WD 165, same waist but softer. Both worked fine in all conditions although I never had them in bottomless powder. I strongly recommend them for all-purpose riding. I think your 23 cm waisted model should be even better, but if you really want to cover the deep days, you could pick up one of those boat-nosed OSins or a used Tanker for not too much money. I bought my 200 cm Tanker a couple of years ago for $125.

One caution - if you're considering Nekdut's board, make sure your weight matches up. That one is built for a 220 lb rider and if you're too much lighter it will be a bear to work in soft conditions.

One caution - if you're considering Nekdut's board, make sure your weight matches up. That one is built for a 220 lb rider and if you're too much lighter it will be a bear to work in soft conditions.

Yup and thats exactly why I'm selling it. Great board, but it takes too much effort to decamber it at my weight. And besides, Bruce will get around to my order eventually.... in 2007.. :lol:

My kids (17, 14 and 11) all hold their breath when they pass a cemetery because they were taught by my wife "that it is rude to breathe when others can't".

Police car = Johnny Law

Ambulance = meat wagon

My dad's funny sayings were: when someone honked at him, he would say, "Your horn works, now try your lights". Or when someone dropped something in the kitchen that made a loud noise, he would say, "ooops, someone dropped their watch".

Separate OT thread?

--Hugh

p.s. I ride my Prior 174cm 4x4 is powder up to 1 foot, but my 178cm 4807 is my powder/carve board of choice or my 156cm Burton Fish for tree's and powder chop.

Yes, quite right - my 169 Prior 4wd just floats all 190lb of me and my gear in 1' of powder.

By the way, on driving trips: Dad would yell "Don't do it!" at wedding processions.

Tell us that, "them's not sheeps, them's boats" which in New Zealand provided him with endless material.