Note to New Members ×

Who has carved at Fernie?

skategoat

It's been a while since I've been there, so I only have a vague recollection of the mountain. I don't believe the bowls were groomed. At that time (About 5 yrs ago), I only had a Burton Alp at the time (my first carving board). I would say bring another carving board if it's not too much trouble, but I think the fish and the 4WD would probably be sufficient. Hopefully you'll get a taste of some powder as well while you're there. (The snowfall was pretty poor the year I went.)

Gabe

Thanks Gabe. I'm packing the Fish, the 4WD and a freeride Volkl. Soft and hard boots. I recall fondly the days when I packed one pair of skiis and one pair of boots. Now I have to bring a "quiver". It's all your (BomberOnline) fault. I hope Air Canada turns a blind eye. Have a great time at Big White.

I haven't been to Fernie for the last couple of years, but I remember some of the lower stuff being groomed, and Currie Bowl being left pretty much as it was (Currie Bowl was fun).

It's been a weird sort of season there this year. I was talking to a couple of people yesterday who said that the conditions there have been pretty variable, plenty of snow but ranging from spring soft to crusty and windblown. Apparently they have a lot of the upper closed in the mornings as they're paranoid about avalanches. They reckon they've been grooming extensively this year, though.

Hope you have a great trip and let us know what you find ... when Fernie is on it's epic, but it's truly a mountain of four seasons in one weekend. I'd say the 4WD is an excellent choice.

should be lots of groomed this year with the early wet stuff. this week we have been getting dumped on at big mountain another foot of powder last night. If fernie isn't cutting it head south 2 hours . bigger mountain lots of choices. see big mountain rub in thread.