Note to New Members ×

Favorite Drinks

Justin A.

As a part-time State employee who sells booze to hundreds of people, I can tell you that Utah is not a Dry State, rather it is a Control State which means you buy alcohol according to the rules of the Controller. It's that easy. So, you can't buy hard liquor in a grocery store or a C-Store. You can buy 3.2 beer in those stores. For the high octane, you have to buy that from the State of Utah. The State wants the revenues from alcohol sales so that they, the State, can run their State programs with the monies derived from Sin Taxes (not to be confused with Syntaxes) The store I work in sells ONLY BOOZE. No mixers, corkscrews, cigarettes, ice, et cetera. The biggest seller is Vodka, namely Kamchatka and Rothschilds, so you can imagine that most of that is sold in the morning to the customers with the 'shakes'. Next, is Whiskey. Mostly the high-end stuff but some Rich and Rare, Canadian Blends, and Lord Calvert (sorry if that offends you). A lot of Gin goes through the store, too. Tequila is a good seller. Patron, Jose Cuervo, and the awful smelling Senor brand. I rarely sell Sammy's Cabo Wabo. The 4-7 pm crowd are the Wine Snobs who ask for a Chablis, Pinot Noir, or Shiraz from a certain vintage and winery that we usually don't have. And last, is the College Crowd, who are simply bored with living LaVita Loca at Utah State University and want to drink what is popular in the areas they came from. JagerBombs, The EverPresent EverClear for the punch bowls, and some sissy-assed over-priced Jennas thrown in for the cheerleaders.

All that to tell you I'm a beer-drinker. Until this past weekend.

I found Mudslides. I have resisted Kahlua for years. There is something inately wrong with putting alcohol, coffee, and dairy together. Period. It's like tongue-kissing your mother-in-law, it's just so wrong. But, it tastes SO RIGHT!!!

So, Justin, learn to mix Mudslides. Add Tom Collins, and Sloe Comfortable Screws to your repetoire for this old schooler.

The above information is probably more than Justin A. wanted to know but, hey, nobody ever plans a vacation to Utah to go drinking. Now, they can!!!

Mark

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found Mudslides. I have resisted Kahlua for years. There is something inately wrong with putting alcohol, coffee, and dairy together.

You've never had a White Russian?? Go ahead, The Dude abides. What day is it?

FYI - Kamora is just as good as Kahlua for half the price.

To ease Jack and Tommy's pain, the school that Im going to has a class specifically about single malts, and I already have a decent knowledge of vodkas, but the Tequlia will be something entirley new for me. What's good in the tequila world? And yes, they teach us what 'neat' means. I'm actually suprised that there are bartenders that don't ...Maybe they just got their licence through a restaraunt and not a bartending school.

________

Rhode island medical marijuana dispensaries

What's good in the tequila world?

Porfidio

Chamucos

El Tesoro

Don Julio

Patron

these are my favs.

Herradura is a good "gateway" into the world of blue agave tequilas, and makes a great premium margarita.

Avoid 1800. It may say 100% blue agave, but it is piss.

Out of ignorance and curiosity, can mezcal be used as a substitute for tequila in drinks and vice-versa? I read the article and now understand much more than I did 20 minutes ago about them, but I wonder that because they are from the same plant, can they be used similarly, like bourbon and whiskey? I know that they are different drinks, but still...Please Jack and Bob, forgive my mexican drink based ignorance.

________

Extreme vaporizer review

Being from the midwest, I am first and foremost a Beer Drinker, and that light yellow colored stuff that tastes like water doesn't count. I also worked my way through college as a tender and learned a ton about differnt drinks. Never acquired the Scotch taste, although its all a friend of mine will drink. I am especially fond of good Bourbon's with Bookers being at the top of my list(I gave all my groomsmen flask filled with it at the cermony, made for a un ride to the reception). When it comes to mixed drinks I am a Wisconsin boy at heart and love Brandy Old Fashioned's and Manhattans. Not many people outside WI know how to make one, or carry decent Brandy, but they are yummy. Especiallyu ought to learn the difference between sweet, sour, press, and perfect. Sounds like a decent school you're going through. Wait until you get to the wines.....can be a lot of fun, but often times people think thjey know more about them than they really do. I worked in a wine bar for 5 years part-tiume after college and itr always amazed me what people would say to their frioends to make it look like they knew what they were talking about as far as wine went.

Cheers :D

You've never had a White Russian?? Go ahead, The Dude abides. What day is it?

FYI - Kamora is just as good as Kahlua for half the price.

Jack,I saw the white russian post last night and you beat me to the punchline. Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?

The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback

post-123-141842212895_thumb.jpg

Guest rphillips

Tequila: Patron Anejo.

Scotch:

- Single Malt: Talisker

- Blend: Johnny Walker Gold Label (or Blue if you can afford it :eek: )

Gin:

- Magellan (natural blue color is cool and the stuff tastes great)

- Hendricks (cucumber infused is a nice touch and something different)

Vodka: No question at all!!! Stoli Elit is insanely good. Blows Grey Goose away. Of course it's also $60 a bottle :(

Not as good as what comes from Mexico but as good as most other knock offs:

9 Cups sugar

4 Cups water

20 teaspoons instant Folger's (coffee)

Simmer the above on stove for 20 to 30 minutes and stir occasionally

Then allow to cool to room temp. I have rushed the process by setting the pan in a cool water bath.

Add

7 teaspoons of vanilla

1/2 gallon of Vodka

Makes about 1 gallon.

Have done smaller proportions with quality results but I will allow you to do the math.

Anyone who drinks vodka should do themselves a favor and check out the new potato vodka from Maine - Cold River. Very distinctive, unique flavor.

bottle.png

And Justin, don't forget the Mojito (mo-hee-toe) - it's trendy but very good. silver rum, club soda, lime juice, sugar, fresh mint.

I have yet to find a regular, non-mexican bar where when you ask "do you have any fine tequila" the bartender doesn't say "we have Cuervo Gold, Sauza..." :smashfrea

top shelf bottles at Less Otten's place at sunday river, cant remember the name but its the one that was just built a couple years ago

the bar tenders there are hit or miss but one guy really knows his **** and will go so far as to make ask if you like what you got and make suggestions based on what you have been liking and not, they really have whiskey covered well but their tequila selection is quite good compared to most places in ME

have yet to find a bar with a decent selection of Mezcals though, there are a few great ones out there that are as good as any tequila just usually a little smokier

A Vodka Snob I am. Im a very very big fan of Russian Standard, which isn't exported. I bought it there on a trip a few years ago and have been saving it for special occasions ever since. Good stuff uh huh. My favorite other than that that I've yet found is the new Absolut Level, with Stoli Gold a close second. Despite what they may try to tell you, Grey Goose isn't nearly as good as advertised. See if you can find some Russian Standard online. The Absolut Level is very good also and much easier to get. Its new though, so watch out for price gouging, its supposed to be about $30 a bottle.

________

List of assembly plants

Guest rphillips

Yeah, I've heard from a couple of people that Svedka is good for the price.

Level to me tasted like trash - literally tasted like a garbage can. It's all personal taste so who knows. Maybe I had a cold or something when I tasted it.

Pravda I thought was good. And seriously, check out Stoli Elit sometime. Straight on ice - oh so nice. :ices_ange

How bout a Flaming Dr. Pepper?

Red Snappers are fun shooters.

My wife is a Midori Sour Slut...

In restaurant/bar's I pretty much stick to the Fat Tire on tap. It's pretty much at every place in NM and CO.

At home it's Jack and Coke, or Crown and Coke. I got a 1.5L of each downstairs I've been working on since the end of November. I rarely drink to get drunk, but when I do lookout! :)

Mostly like to have a drink or two every now and then...

Good Vodka on a budget...

009012.jpg

I'd be very interested to hear what the vodka snobs have to say about Svedka. It's cheap at around $15, and in my opinion is just as good as Absolut or Ketel One.

I'm not a vodka snob but have been picking up the SVEDKA tangerine? (some kind of citrus) for 12.99 lately. Mix it up with some Sprite and Lime juice.I prefer decent rum and got some Appleton's Estate last weekend that tasted like smokey kerosene :barf: .Sailor Jerry is good rum for 12.99. Mix it up with Brasilian Mango concentrate and Sprite.

is worth a premium price

its not aged, generally made from cheap grains and in the US always has thickening/smoothing agents such as glycerine or glucose in it that throw off the taste

I have been played with distilling for a few years and its incredibly simple to make a vodka that would be considered "ultra premium"

all that is needed is a half way decent wash to start out with, even simple sugars like corn sugar and some nutrients for the yeast

run through a reflux still twice and then possibly a clean up run to rid any nasties that may have been left over

got a refractionating still?

one run might do it and it would probably be pretty clean tasting if you got skills but probably be amazing in two runs

finish all your vodkas by running them through some carbon, this even helps many store bought vodkas

my favorite vodkas have been slightly tasty, one that was made from fruit had a ever so slight taste that reminded me of pisco

now try to make a whiskey, gin, absinthe, rum or brandy that easily, it just is not gonna happen because they take skills and time and quality ingrients

I just don't get the recent rage with "premium" vodkas, none of them are that good, in particular in the US

if you want a quality vodka your best bet is to head down south and find some high quality 'shine, run it through some carbon and add enough good spring water to bring it into the 40% to 50% range

The world of booze is an amazing feat of marketing. Take ingredients that cost almost nothing and create hype - over what?

Yes I love to consume all forms of alcohol. There are so many delicious liquids out there. The marketing is unreal though - especially with Vodka. I'm always blown away at the abundance of pretty bottles and how there is this constant "it's the next big thing".

is worth a premium price

its not aged, generally made from cheap grains and in the US always has thickening/smoothing agents such as glycerine or glucose in it that throw off the taste

I have been played with distilling for a few years and its incredibly simple to make a vodka that would be considered "ultra premium"

all that is needed is a half way decent wash to start out with, even simple sugars like corn sugar and some nutrients for the yeast

run through a reflux still twice and then possibly a clean up run to rid any nasties that may have been left over

got a refractionating still?

one run might do it and it would probably be pretty clean tasting if you got skills but probably be amazing in two runs

finish all your vodkas by running them through some carbon, this even helps many store bought vodkas

my favorite vodkas have been slightly tasty, one that was made from fruit had a ever so slight taste that reminded me of pisco

now try to make a whiskey, gin, absinthe, rum or brandy that easily, it just is not gonna happen because they take skills and time and quality ingrients

Kinda OT but while I was in Saudi I was blessed with being schooled on making moonshine (Saudi Arabia is DRY). Neat stuff. Amazing how easy it is. Hot water heaters were the stills of choice although one of my friends made it with a pressure cooker and a electric burner. My next door neighbor made more money selling booze than he did as an Learjet aircraft mechanic for Boeing. He only had one customer and it was a Saudi. Go figure.

Anways we used to make Jack Daniels out of the moonshine by just taking the pure and soaking it on Jack Daniels wood chips for a week or two. Good stuff! Almost couldn't tell the difference when it was cut...and if you didn't cut it down to ~90 proof from the 180-190 proof pure....Whoa lookout! One drink would have you spinning! :)

Good times, good times :biggthump

for vodka on a true budget, try rubinoff. $12 for a handle and thats enough to take out a bunch of us. Svedka is the ultimate luxury. $15 doesn't go a long way with it. I do love it though. Supposedly grey goose is the #1 and svedka was #2 or something along those lines. That was based on some international taste testing.

As far as mixed drinks, i love screw drivers (first mixed drink I had) and pretty much anything with vodka.