Note to New Members ×

Favorite Drinks

Justin A.

There have been posts about favorite beers, wines, and all kinds of other assorted liquors. But what is your favorite mixed drink? I'm going to bartending school to be a tender to help put myself through college and I was wondering which drinks and recipies I should focus on perfecting just that little bit more than less popular mixers, like the Scazaraak Cocktail, which is very rare. So whats your favorite?

________

Cancer - breast advice

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn how to make a Caipirinha.

You have to use the real Cachaca from Brazil.

http://www.maria-brazil.org/caipirinha.htm

Good call Speedy.http://www.brazilmax.com/news4.cfm/tborigem/fe_fooddrink/id/5 I even named one of my dogs after Pitu http://www.pituusa.com/ because we found her at a brasilian bbq party (chuhasco) and she is a big black shrimp and her mom is from portugal

post-123-141842212841_thumb.jpg

a bartender that I trust with how much water or ice to put in my whiskey is one that I will tip well

if its cheap stuff load it with ice but other than that always ask, if someone knows their whiskey they will be particular, also if its straight and not cheap do not put it in a shot glass

My favorite is probably balvenie portwood with just a drizzle of cool water

Sure do like a good Bourbon too, such as Booker's

mixed drinks I go for a cape codder or a grateful dead, a caipirinha is ****ing amazing if done right but thats rare at most bars

for a Sazarac be careful they are really easy to mess up, use Peychauds bitters, herbsaint pastis or if you got the cash Jade absinthe and rye whiskey NOT bourbon most drinks you can substitute ingredients but not with this one

Thanks bob about the Sazeraak, I already knew though. Thats what my fater drinks more often than not when we go out. And good whiskey always goes into a rocks glass or a delmonico. What do you serve a caipirinha in though? I think that it would probally be a nice touch to take another lime, cut one end off, scoop out the fruit and serve the drink in the lime shell (I've seen this done with orange drinks before). Maybe trim the other end of the lime so it can sit on a surface.

________

HONDA L ENGINE

1 part Vodka

1 part Tequila

1 part Rum

1 part Gin

1 part Triple sec

1 1/2 part Sour mix

1 splash Coca-Cola

Mix ingredients together over ice in a glass. Pour into shaker and give one brisk shake. Pour back into glass and make sure there is a touch of fizz at the top. Garnish with lemon, lime or orange.....

Yummy....yummy.

http://www.goslingsrum.com/recipe_detail.asp?RecipeID=8

My favorite after the Margarita. Soooo good.

After this would be the Dark 'n Stormy, which is Gosling's Black Seal rum and Barrett's Ginger Beer in a tall boy over ice, optional lemon wedge. Only Barrett's will do. Stewart's is an imposter and is too spicy. Reed's Jamaican Ginger Beer is weird and tastes more like honey and lemon than ginger.

Serve up these two and anyone who has ever been to Bermuda will love you forever. Among others.

Another good one is the Paloma, which is tequila, ginger ale and ruby red grapefruit juice over ice in a tall boy. Yummy.

Don't fear the LI teas...just don't get carried away...

as for favorites:

Snowblower:

equal parts Rumpleminz,Kahlua,Good Brandy, and heavy cream. Shaken with ice, strained, and seved as a shot. aditionally accompanied with the following Toast: "If I had a dog that could piss this stuff, and I was sure he could piss enough, I would tie him to the bed and suck his d$%k till we both drop dead"

Carrot cake

goldschlager, kahlua, Buttershots, baily's equal propeortions, chilled, strained and served as a shot.

I have to agree with what somebody said above: A good bartender knows just how much water/ice to add to a single malt beverage (Scotch, bourbon ...) or even what 'neat' means. They would also have a good knowledge of single malts. It's really disheartening to get to a bar with a nice top shelf selection, of which the 'tender knows very little, if anything about. Same goes for vodkas, tequillas, etc.

But along the lines of singlemalts, look into The Dalmore Coffee Egg Nog drink. Delicious.

Kent, thats a long island ice tea. I've always been kind of afraid of it, with all the different alcohol in it. Rum and vodka?? woof. Traditional Long island Ice Tea is made with lime juice instead of sour mix and it's just built in the glass, not shaken. But good call either way!

Of course it's a long island. 99% of time, tequila shouldn't be put in it.

Mixed properly, doesn't even taste like booze. It's dangerous.....

1 part Vodka

1 part Tequila

1 part Rum

1 part Gin

1 part Triple sec

1 1/2 part Sour mix

1 splash Coca-Cola

Mix ingredients together over ice in a glass. Pour into shaker and give one brisk shake. Pour back into glass and make sure there is a touch of fizz at the top. Garnish with lemon, lime or orange.....

Yummy....yummy.

Yes those can be quite delicious and dangerous. My recipe for the LIIC is slightly different than yours. Lose the tequila, and double up on the triple sec. It really takes any alcohol bite away from the drink, and makes it all the more dangerous to drink. :eplus2:

A few variations on the above recipe that also really work: replace the coke for Chambord = a Black opal. replace coke with Midori = a Tokyo Iced Tea.

Good stuff!

I can't say I have a single favorite, but here are a few I get time and time again:

Irish Car Bomb

1/2 pint Guinness in a glass. Put 1 oz Jameson's Irish Whiskey ans 1/2 oz. Bailey in a shot glass in the Guinness... Drop in the shotglass and drink quickly.....

Hurricane

1 oz Vodka

1 oz Gin

1 oz Light rum

1/2 oz 151 proof rum (optoinal)

1 oz Amaretto

1 oz Triple sec

Grapefruit juice

Pineapple juice

Grenadine

(This WILL catch up to you if you aren't careful... If made right, it hides it well, just like a Long Island)

Long Island Iced Tea

See Above

SnowBlowers are good too....