Note to New Members ×

CNBC - the world is coming to an end

tex1230

Can you explain the interview details>?

I think that without the 'ski lifestyle' and 'snowboard lifestyle' neither sport would be as popular; while we the fully keen people might not be so into the flash elements, m arketing rules the world (sadly) and the Starbucks brigade want to create this group who are all the same and ride the same gear wear the same clothes and talk the same who are part of this group 'the park crew' or 'the black diamond massive' or whatever.

Wanting to be part of that group, sells boards and gets people out there.

Look at a sport like windsurfing, with no real lifestyle as such at the moment, and growth is maybe 5%. Then look at kiting which has a lot of pluses and minuses but has got this 'lifestyle' attached to it and for a while anyway until the safety aspects started kicking in, according to the indsutry people it were growing well fast.

Teenagers love to be part of a crowd - let's be individuals as a group. So seems like good sense to develop the lifestyle of snowboarding.

Or am I totally off base?

the interview was (I think) at ASR or a similar trade show. They started by saying the same old stuff ... ski industry stagnating, snowboarding still growing...then interviewed Jake and ha was talking about the money really being in the accessories and clothing and not so much in the boards and boots anymore.

I have to hand it to Jake for creating a brand name out of an outsider sport. But I think my thoughts of the overkill of the "Burton Lifestyle" are well documented. (see my old thread "Into the Demon's Lair")

There's a Quicksilver shop in Soho and a Billibong shop in Times Square. How many surfers are there in New York City? Not all that many (quite a few but not enough to support two major surf company flagship stores). Snowboarding has been in this world for a while now. Burton probably sells WAAAY more soft product in their Soho shop than hardgoods. What's the surprise? :confused: Skiings' "lifestyle" time was in the 50's and early 60's when skiing sweaters were all the rage and hanging out around the lodge fire was the epitomy of cool. Jakes' just trying to rake it in while it lasts which is what any business man needs to do.

Isn't this just about the constant battle between the purist elitists and the mangy populists? (is this off topic? sorry if I got sidetracked)

The "lifestyle" is softgoods and the image conscious rider....

Let 'em be.....

I prefer bibs anyway.....and my Columbia parka-only 20 years old, but since I live in Texas, only worn for a few days each year......

I don't doubt my "peeps" here will still be shredding when snowboarding ain't cool

The "lifestyle" is softgoods and the image conscious rider....

Let 'em be.....

I prefer bibs anyway.....and my Columbia parka-only 20 years old, but since I live in Texas, only worn for a few days each year......

I don't doubt my "peeps" here will still be shredding when snowboarding ain't cool

You're not the only one. I am still wearing mitts and a jacket bought in 1995. I tried other jackets that I have and none keeps the snow out like my good old Concept jacket. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it's a pullover type, popular back then. The mitts are indesructible, and I never found another pair that could compare.