Note to New Members ×

Who purchased Aimee Newton's "soft" 175 WRC

oldkey

My son is now riding Aimee's 155 Prior WRC "soft" board and it has taken him to a new level. At 95 lbs I worried about a Prior....but this kid that falls frequently in our MN ice has not fallen once in a race course. Aimee called this her SL "ice board," intended to mirror a F2 Speedster. We are wondering if you have experienced the same thing on her softer, GS version of this board? Maybe the board is too soft for you and you need to sell it? :)

The tune, the board, the conditions.....not sure what combination of attributes made this work but the stars and moons aligned just perfectly on this one. After three years of experimenting with boards.....we finally hit the jackpot. Now we know why so many of you have such large quivers.

I guess my Ebay buying days of old Burton Speeds is over....anyone need a Burton 164 or under? :)

I can't help you locate that board but I can mirror your opinion on the WRC. I have my 110lb. son on a 151 Prior WRC and it is perfect for him. Are you considering the 175 for your son? Seems really long for his size. I was thinking of finding something soft in a 160 range for my son to move into next season.

....stock from Prior.....no modifications? How tall is your son?

Patrick is 5'6" now and rides a Donek Pilot 168 with no problems. Yes....a 175 is too big now, but since he grew 4 inches last summer, he may grow into that board either next season or the season after. I'm more interested in trying to triangulate on why this board seems to work so well for Patrick so that I can duplicate it in a GS board and boards in the future as he keeps growing.

We recommend the Donek Pilot for its' value and softness for young riders (although I would say it is stiffer than we expected), but your son may be disappointed in edge control as compared to the Prior WCR, especially in the ice. Having said that.....I wish I knew why....here I am now showing my ignorance in board technology.

Matt

Usually if the "custom" request is decontenting the board, making it softer for example, Prior will do it (or at least has done it many times before, for me and others) at no charge, the only penalty is waiting for them to build it.

Stiffer flex or different sidecuts and widths of course would be added cost. Surprisingly inexpensive in my experience, but definitely added cost.

A short "adult" board will not work for a kid, you'll just get them really depressed and tired trying to ride a board that's too stiff.

wavechaser bought the Titanal topsheet one and had some pretty big beef with the board and seller.

sounds like all other sales went ok

The Titanal board was delamed at the inserts front and back, and starting to do the same in the nose. Also topsheet was scratched to heck in shipping. Dean saw my pics of the delam and said he was not surprised...that was the first one they ever made and that it had known problems which the seller should have known about and/or made clear to the buyer, especially at the $500 selling price - I sent it back to the seller for my $$$ back but with mucho hassle from her...and loss of import duties paid. I insured it, but insurance was rejected by UPS due to improper packing...protect these things (titanal topsheets) if you ship them folks...when they scratch and scrape they look like crap.

Titanal may be great if you are sponsored, but with the fragility and breakage/delam problems, it ain't worth it for us regular folks to pay $1000 for a board that has to be babied and is likely going to bust at some point if ridden hard.