Note to New Members ×

Your First Board

Guest alakata

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1985 Burton Performer that I picked up from the rental shop at Wildcat Mountain in New Hampshire that year. It was kinda lost in the back, and very few people showed interest in it.

It had two aluminum skegs along the sides near the tail, and a wooden base and rubber strap bindings. It was really squirrelly on East Coast hardpack, but things got better when I moved out West with it in 1986, and started using it in pow.

Good times, good memories....

George

First board of my own: Limited All-Around 163. It actualy can carve quite well for a twin-tip board. I didn't ride it for a year now, I should give it another go to compare to alpine...

First alpine: Hooger Booger Grinder 168. I still ride it and love it. A bit soft, but can go all over the mountain.

My first was made by Ride, but I don't know the actual model. The topsheet was spray painted over, but I believe the original color was blue and said Ride/Ride on the bottom. 160cm, with one of the useful inserts all gouged out. Incredibly floppy and the nose/tail were quite upturned. Also a bit on the narrow side, at least for a freestyle stance (24cm or so). Does anyone know what this board might have been?

that was its name, same as the company, I had the 164 that was insanely stiff from a different year, those boards were kinda ahead of their time

I had two decks for back yeard use when I was around 9 but my first board that I ever brought out to a ski area was a ride 164 they made those boards from 92 or 93 up to 1998 or so

Aside from demos and rentals, my first board was some early 90's thing by Oxygen. It was brown and yellow/cream and was a 151 I think. I still had it lying around somewhere when I went to Big White a few years ago and because it was so short I figured it would be ok for my sister to learn on. However I bought her a new board in Vail and ended up leaving the old one in the hotel room that we stayed in. Wish I hadn't in hindsight because it was a classic retro thing.

My first alpine board was a Burton Coil 173 which I rode for the first time at SES 05 and for the last time at Mt Hotham in August when I snapped it.

RIP to my two first boards.

First board I rode was a rental, I think the brand was Snowtech or something like that. It had real edges (no turn fins) and a swallow tail. Emery bindings, I think.

I liked it so I bought a K2 Gyrator after a day or three of renting those mystery boards, with Sims bindings(I broke a few baseplates along the way). It was very modern for its day, with a slightly upturned tail, radial (looking) sidecut, and snazzy 80s graphics. And no inserts. :eek: It rode OK but the camber went away pretty quickly. Gnu Hypercarve and Antigravity were the others I seriously considered riding in my Sorels, with their ski boot liners and heavy socks.

My first board was a Burton Performer Elite 140 that my brother got when we took a family trip to Stratton in 1985. It was the kind with fixed high back bindings with web straps and buckles. When we got home, we found out that we weren't allowed to use it at our local mountain. 2 years after that, when my brother was away at college and they started allowing snowboarding, I "stole" his board and learned how to do it. I used my mom's gore-tex hiking boots because I couldn't really find anything that stayed on well enough. I tried snowboots, but ended up with a foot with no boot on! The following year that board went with me when I went to Germany as an exchange student, but I couldn't do the T-bars there so I didn't ride much. When I got home, started college, and started teaching skiing, I got a Gnu Anitgravity that was bigger than me, I think! I got these bindings.... I think they were Miller brand (?) because I wanted to use my ski boots. Besides, they still didn't make hard boots in my size then. At least none that I could afford!

'95 Sims all mountain 160, bought right after renting my first board that season, a Hooger w/first year Clicker bindings. First alpine, a 153 Mad Dog. Never seen one since, still have it in the rafters. Have bought over a half dozen since '03 season end, am thinking there is no hope for this addiction!

My first board was a K2 Fatbob 166 with crappy Universal bindings and Airwalk Extreme Boots. Think it as a 95 model, olive green with red and yellow logos. I really liked that board because it was wide enough for my big feet unlike most rental gear. My first alpine board was a Liquid Arc 164 that I got from a local shop for $60. Mounted a set of Burton Step in race plates on it from a ski swap and got hooked on carving. I still have that board but I busted a toe bail on the race plates and replaced them with some Burton Race Physics.

________

Electronic Cigarettes

Burton Cruzer 165 (I bet oldsnowboards.com has a pic somewhere) with those inflexible black high back bindings.

Bought at a ski swap at Ski Roundtop in the summer of '87.

Rode it with Bass duck boots and 4 pairs of hunting socks. Black and blue feet pretty much all season.....those were the days.

First Hardboots were ski boots. Salomon SX91E with Burton Variplates and a K2 Gyrator.

The first one was a red and black Burton Performer Elite, I think it was a 148. It had a swallow tail with a skeg in the middle of the board near the tail (if you could call it a tail) and fastex webbing for binders. Combine that with a pair of sorrel (sp?) boots that I took the felt out of and replaced it with liners from my dads dynastar ski boots and I was rockin'!!!

Oh my, what a death sled that thing was...

Guest vlad westervaeld

first board was a sims switchblade and an 1161 (or 1611?) that a friend gave me...then an 1171, then, finally, a first-year pink & white PJ , free!

burton backhill with only 1 rubber foot strap (for the front foot). By the time I got it second hand, someone had made a back foot straoout of an innertube, and had made "metal edges" by screwing angle brackets on the sides that hung down about 1/2" below bottom of deck.

After that I picked up a "Flite" board (made in a garage in Newport RI I think). This board was awesome for it's time. Had awesome hi-back bindings with an innovative velcro pocket on the backof the hi-back. The board had a plywood core and you could see the ply's all down the edges. Had a cool shark graphic on it. :)

Sims 1711 with sims high backs and sorels without any liners... made toe side turns hard....

Then next year upgraded to a nitro fusion 160 (the first model) also with the elfgen tongues and the shop I worked at introduced me to their top racer from NZ, who sold me his EFT 156, with elfgen bindings, the ones with the heel clip. Super strong, I sadly threw them in the bin just last year when cleaning out my old rubbish back in NZ>....

After 1 try on the EFT, the fusion was never used again.

Subsequent to that, owned and broke a hot logical, owned and delammed 2 nitro epics, and owned and delammed 1 scorpion and snapped another.... still riding the last scorpion which still rates very highly as a great board IMHO... the hot was the worst made of any of the boards I owned; within 3 weeks it was noticeably convex rail to rail, and my acquiantance on the same hill broke I think it was 6 on warrantee over 2 years until hot refused to keep replacing them (Greg Prouse).

Actually, I sold the EFT, then bought it back again an remounted it; now that the world is 4 hole, I might have to remount it again, as I have a need to show up sometime on the slopes with a spot of carving asym style :-)

The sims was ok, but it was the eft that opened my eyes.

Mine was a burton performer elite, blue with rubber band binding and tail fins. Since I lived in wisconsin at that time I realized how useless it was on ice and took the fins off and added screw on metal edges from an old set of wood skiis. Next board was an alpine burton sarfari cruise 165 with 3 buckle bindings. I switched to burton variplates and modded rachlie flexons a year later.

jim