Note to New Members ×

Your First Board

Guest alakata

Guest alakata

alright lets see what everone first board was and how rediculous it was :biggthump

i bought mine when walmart actually sold real boards, yea you heard it, walmart actually carried nitro boards! and i picked up a 140 and that was my first :lol:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first board was a used 1991 Burton Air 6 (no inserts), but it got stolen on the first day I used it (I didn't know I had to lock it), so I don't know if it counts. My (second) first board was a 1993 Burton Air 6.1, paid by the insurrance company for the one that got stolen.

My first alpine board was a 1995 FreeSurf Highlander 155, bought new in 1997. I sold it a couple of years later because it was too short and stiff for my liking.

My first was made by Ride, but I don't know the actual model. The topsheet was spray painted over, but I believe the original color was blue and said Ride/Ride on the bottom. 160cm, with one of the useful inserts all gouged out. Incredibly floppy and the nose/tail were quite upturned. Also a bit on the narrow side, at least for a freestyle stance (24cm or so). Does anyone know what this board might have been?

Burton Elite 150. V-notch tail that ended about 6" behind the back binding. Skegs on the tail that I removed for resort riding. Foam core with inserts that tore out the first run down a decent hill and were subsequently t-nutted. Fastex buckles with web straps that got wet and stretched, requiring adjustment each run.

As of this month, I'm celebrating 20 years of sliding sideways. Here's to another 20 at least!

Crazy Banana back in 1989. I don't know, if there was a Name for this model, it came in cuple of ugly designs. Mine was with the dark topsheet with some pink and green in it, base was (like on all these boards I think) white with a giant banana wearing sunglasses. This one I bought used but almost new just before christmas, and I still have it in my quiver (To be honest, I never sold any of my boards, which I rode for some time).

skywalker

My first board, after a couple of seasopn of renting and demoing, was a '99 Burton Supermodel 168. My first alpine board was a Liquid Race 159, with Nitro Razor bindings. I broke the bindings almost immediately, after going over the handlebars numerous times. The next season I bought a Donek FC 163 and some Catek WC's and did much better, even though I wound up developing some bad riding habits I'm still trying to shake today :rolleyes:

Some sort of Morrow square tail in '94. No inserts, the shop guy had to screw the bindings directly to the deck. It was a short, narrow, piece of junk. On it's 3rd time out, I left it leaned against a snow bank in the parking lot while we loaded up, forgot about it, and didn't realize it till we were back in Oly. Good riddance! Got a Burton Air with Torques in a rental deal after that, and finally discovered how cool snowboarding was. :biggthump

Crazy Banana back in 1989. I don't know, if there was a Name for this model, it came in cuple of ugly designs. Mine was with the dark topsheet with some pink and green in it, base was (like on all these boards I think) white with a giant banana wearing sunglasses. This one I bought used but almost new just before christmas, and I still have it in my quiver (To be honest, I never sold any of my boards, which I rode for some time).

skywalker

Can you post some pics i want to see this awsome thing!

1986 Avalanche Reflex 150. I stiil have the receipt for it but unfort not the board. At this time the only other model I could have gotten was the Burton Elite 150 as Sims were too expensive but I saw Damian Sanders in an ad doing his thing and went with the Avalanche. After that I went with the Terry Kidwell 165, gorgeous board but couldn't hold an edge, and my 1st Alpine board was the Burton Safari Comp I.

My first board was a Flite Rocket 150 with the Skegs removed and Jeff Grell Highback bindings...my first alpine board was a Flite 170 UFO and a 172 Weapon Asym I am sad to say that I gave up the UFO for a 162 Asym that I sill have :confused: the UFO was a much better board :confused: (it looked and rode like a modern AM/Axis/4WD)

After renting for 10+ years, finally got a 165 Atomic Exeter in 2004. Good freeride board. I'm certainly glad not to be renting anymore. Of course, right after I got it I found this site and subsequently learned all about alpine. At least now I know kind of board to get next!

On my website, I have a pic of those bindings from a 1991 Nitro catalog.

oh I remember quite clearly what they looked like. remember the tongues always came off, too.

I kinda wish I had kept everything, but Ive moved probably 15 times since then...makes it hard