Note to New Members ×

catek bindings bending

mrjamie

I am looking at your picture and was wondering if you can bend them back using hand force. Do they stay put for a while or do they just spring back to this new position. Have you checked the weld on the bail where it joins under the toe block?

That is all I have to say.

It looks like when you ride, you are torqueing your boot over to a more canted position or a different angle. In other words, your body's balance system wants to be in a different foot stance position than the binding is currently set in. Over the year, this torqueing has bent the bale.

When you ride, be aware of what that foot is doing. Is it torqueing against the binding on toe side or heel side? Are you doing it at initiation? Maybe adjusting to more cant or a different angle will put your foot into it's "natural position."

MrJamie, just call Catek directly and they'll send you another bail. Did you catch it when you were skating with the back foot out, or is that just from riding?

its actually the rear foot...

really looks like youre fighting against the bail...bale..whatever...maybe a stance change.

Im sure Jeff will send you a new one.

I am looking at your picture and was wondering if you can bend them back using hand force. Do they stay put for a while or do they just spring back to this new position. Have you checked the weld on the bail where it joins under the toe block?

That is all I have to say.

Yea, I have actually bent them back several times before getting back onto

lifts. Whether or not this is a good thing to do... :smashfrea

The weld looks like it has been under tremendous pressure, which is only normal I suppose, but does look a bit more worked than the front-foot weld.

It looks like when you ride, you are torqueing your boot over to a more canted position or a different angle. In other words, your body's balance system wants to be in a different foot stance position than the binding is currently set in. Over the year, this torqueing has bent the bale.

When you ride, be aware of what that foot is doing. Is it torqueing against the binding on toe side or heel side? Are you doing it at initiation? Maybe adjusting to more cant or a different angle will put your foot into it's "natural position."

Thanks, I'll try to pay more attention to what my feet are doing next time I head out. As for my angles, they're a little steep -- 57º and 54º -- but that's the lowest I can set them without boot overhang. Darn 31cm feet. ;)

Did you catch it when you were skating with the back foot out, or is that just from riding?

Just from riding, of this I am sure :)

----

Thanks everybody for the comments -- I've sent Catek a mail.

Thanks again,

Jamie

Yeah, that's what I meant. The toe bail of the back binding dragging and catching on something. Guess what I think and what I say are not quite the same. What a surprise.

heh. that could be though...actually a good point.

those binding angles arent that steep at all! your board must be pretty wide.

maybe theyre not steep enough? maybe youre tweaking your rear foot when riding. or maybe you need more cant, less cant, more/less left somewhere...

I did some thinking, and realized this probably happens when I go to initiate heelside turn -- I twist my knees a little to the heelside, and it is probably at that point that the foot twists as well.

I took a lesson last weekend and it was mentioned to me that twisting your knees a little to get the board on edge is a good thing to do.

Is this incorrect, or do I need to play with lift/cant/angles (I use neither lift nor cant at the moment) until the binding stops bending into weird shapes? Or should I work the binding into a pretzel and be happy with that?

cheers,

Jamie

I had the happen to me last year and bent it back once. It certainly wasnt as severe as your case, but it happened. I have since change from a 0 degree to a 3 degree and most recently a 6 degree on the front. This seems to allow my legs to act more naturally when it comes to the tucking of the rear knee to drive the turn.

It is good to hear the they are being replaced. In bending them back so many times, plus consider the little flexes of the binding during riding, the metal would fatigue and eventually snap in the right conditions and repetitions. Better to be safe than sorry.

Later

Greg

I was riding the other day, on a real hard toe side carve and I either lost it first or my rear boot ejected, not sure which came first the chicken or the egg. Anyway I was sliding on my stomach with only my front foot in the binding and really digging in to try and stop, you know those trees come up real fast. When I stopped and got up I was only a 100 feet from the lift so I just hiked down there.

When I got to the bottom I noticed I had trashed both of my bails on my front foot and slightly bent the bails on my rear foot. When I pulled everything apart to check the bindings, I noticed I had also twisted both power plates.

I have contacted Jeff, he said he would replace the parts but he is in Salt Lake.

Kind of scarry knowing that we can generate that much force on the bindings.

Only once, have I ever come out of alpine bindings, and it was with a set of Burton Race Plates.

Kind of a crappy day on the backside at Northstar. Raining lightly at the bottom. The snow was fast if you were riding in someone elses tracks, but to venture onto new snow and the brakes were ON. The board would slow down like you had glue on the bottom.

So one run, flying along almost to the lift, and I ventured out to the edge of the run on some nice smooth snow. I got slammed face/head first into the snow, almost full body flat (which was probably better than taking the hit on just my face or shoulder). I think I flipped/rolled forward ending on my back, with my board behind me peacefully flat on the snow. The board must have suctioned down into the snow and stopped dead, as I ejected from both bindings. Which also was probably a good thing ,as a one foot ejection could have ripped my knees apart.