Note to New Members ×

O'Sin 4807 Vs Burton Speed.

bumpyride

Tried both boards today in about 3 ft. of medium heavy Cascade Powder.

Burton Fish. It's a 150 and a bit undersized for a 150 pounder. Had to mount the bindings to the extreme inside of front and rear. Board floated well, but it was slow. No danger of burying the tip and it turned well. Much better suited to steeper stuff. I don't think I'd recommend it for low pitch glade skiing. Definitely was better on the groomers and on the big soft pillowed bumps. Need to try to 156. Back leg did get tired even though wasn't conscious of standing on it.

O'Sin 168. Where the Fish was slow the O'Sin just wanted to rocket out. It's a different world. It's a different sport. It's a different turn. Kind of like a slalom water ski turn. Really pretty cool. Unlike any other snowboard I've been on. Running though the saplings that I'd normally avoid, it was just smooth, and any big patch of soft stuff that was standing up was no problem. The prow just rose and floated. Could roll close to the trees with no fear of augering into the wells. Just tilt the board and it would bank right out. Turns in the powder as sharp as one could even want to think about. Floating and boating, like driving a Coup de Ville off the road and into a flooded pasture, with the cows just going HUH?.

Now the problem. When hitting the tracked up areas, it was like cross-hatching 10 sets of Railroad Tracks, and no smoother than hitting it with a 1964 Schwinn Continental. It really bounces you around. When on anything hard you just held on till it hit something to bank off of. Once the slopes got pretty well played out it wasn't much fun.

As long as I could shoot for any patch of powder it worked out. Immediately it switched back to fun. The amazing thing about it was even after hitting a big dip, as in ditch, the nose would flex and just rise up. Stuff I'd normally submarine in just didn't. Even the very low slope stuff that you would usually have to take off the board and hike was still floating. I swear that sometimes I was going up hill.

So if I had a powder day, not so deep and pretty steep, and having to use groomers to get back to the lift, it might be a tuff call. If I had at least a foot and low to medium to high angled slope, and didn't have to contend with long groomers or heavier tracked up snow, no question O'Sin hands down. Trouble is that there isn't that many days that it can happen. So a guy has to make a call, between two very different very good boards.

I do have to say that the O'Sin was the coolest feeing I've ever had on a board outside of corn snow and big bumps, which might come close to tying.

I used my o-sin in chopped up pow and push piles by the end of the day. It was fine for free riding and back footing. When I go on that board I have to go back to my old style of riding aka Damian Sanders type stuff.

I never seem to get to use it being here in the nord east. Going to have it shipped out to Crested Butte and cross my fingers for the week of Feb 6-12

yup...I know. only mods can do that

once you read your post its obvious...it was just funny cuz I came in here thinkin "odd!"

have you ridden a tanker? many claim they float like the best swallows, and rail almost like alpine boards, busting through anything in their path

Hey Bumpy. I got a chance to ride that 168 O'Sin I got from you at MHM on a good pow day. It rocked, and I found it just as manuverable in trees as my 156 Fish. They didn't groom, and it did feel a little ansy on the chop on the main runs. I found that riding towards the back helped a lot for that. When I was riding the lifts, that local TV jingle kept going thru my head: "The boat show, the boat show, the big Seattle boat show" :lol: I've got a 156 Fish you are welcome to borrow anytime, be no problem dropping it at the sound shop, you could keep it for a few weeks. Going up to Crystal tomorrow for some carving.

Guest thomas_m

Bumpyride was that you I ran into while taking a breather at Hyak on Sat?

I was on the red Dupraz. I'd second your review but just change 4807 to Dupraz. The lower angle stuff up top was great on the Dupraz. The chopped up stuff on the steeper pitches at the bottom would have been better on something easier to swing. The snow was so damn heavy my thighs were taking a beating and it was starting to get hard horsing the bigger board through the deep tracks. I did hike over to Dino for one run and that worked much better except for my ill advised attempt to air one of the steep rollers at the bottom.

One thing - the specs for the Fish 150 are 90-120lbs, I think. That's what my 100lb wife rides. You should try the 156 or 160. I just got a LibTech Snow Mullet 160 to ride at Snoggy, recommended by some of the harcore Alpy riders, very similar template to the Fish but without the radical setback.

Thomas

Geez,

What was I thinking. I should have been a little more socialable. Didn't think to see if it was somebody on Bomber.

I know the feeling. My legs were getting toatsted about 12:30. Let's see I got on the lift at 9:45, and that was the same time as you. Rode the whole time by myself, and was wasted, or maybe just tired of getting pounded on the bottom. When it was working, it sure was fun. I did start out on the Fish, and changed to the O'Sin after 3 or 4 runs.

Next powder day, ring me up, and I'll try and break away.

Guest thomas_m

Sounds good.

In general, I'm at West every Wed night. I'll be at Hyak most Saturdays, especially if there was new snow during the week. Unless it was a Friday night dump, cause then it's the Alpental free-for-all... Crystal and Baker on weekends when it's good.

If there's pow (our version of pow anyway), I'll be on softies and the Dupraz/Mullet. Otherwise, I'm on plates and my Happy Monkey.

You might want to check out the local site too:

Snowboard Seattle

Best,

T.