Note to New Members ×

Greetings Big Mountain Daily Rub In !

Guest Fred Goober

It is more likely i'll be going there next year just because I want to get carving down before I go somewhere worthwhile.

Don't need to get carving down to enjoy the Big Mountain. Bring your freeride board, there's way more than just groomed there. It's a great hill except for the whiteout conditions you get sometimes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you guys are having one up there. Looked at the pics - I spent the winter there in 94-95. Had over 500 inches if I remember right. They opened in late October on the weekends. A good year. Seeing these pics I looked up the mountain map after recognizing some of the familiars: Toni Matt, Inspiration, The Big Ravine. I saw on the map that it looks like they have a quad into hellroaring basin????? We used to hit this pretty hard at the top and then have the hella traverse out. I know this is not carver country in there but with the pow it should be awesome. Whats the beta??

Jerry

Don't need to get carving down to enjoy the Big Mountain. Bring your freeride board, there's way more than just groomed there. It's a great hill except for the whiteout conditions you get sometimes.

Well my carving board is the only board ive ever been on. I usually ski but if i were to take a trip, to go to a prime place, it would be to carve. Most likely, i would bring my skis along too but they suck so much. They are barely shapped and are ment just for straighlining, for the most part. Hopefully i'll make enough over the summer to invest in some better skis as well. In powder, mine submarine right under it.

Well my carving board is the only board ive ever been on. I usually ski but if i were to take a trip, to go to a prime place, it would be to carve. Most likely, i would bring my skis along too but they suck so much. They are barely shapped and are ment just for straighlining, for the most part. Hopefully i'll make enough over the summer to invest in some better skis as well. In powder, mine submarine right under it.

Big Mountain is an incredible mountain for someone just learning carving. As much as I love Sun Valley for the steeper stuff, there is a huge variety of lower angle terrain that is perfect for dialing it in. There is also steeper and with the snow they have now it should be good for a while.

Just do it.

spokane is a little over three hours if you turn north at st regis. missoula is an hour and a half. FCA is right here. check priceline expedia etc and look at late and early flights on off peak days. you can also amtrack it from the east coast.

the train from chicago stops right at the bottom of the mountain in whitefish. time consuming but relaxed.

amtrak not too bad. huge trip though. Something along the lines of 55 hours. Damn. Would still be cool, but i would probably go crazy.

Also, i didnt realize how far away the airport is from the mountain. You gotta be 25 to rent a car. I'm only 19 :-\ I might be going to jay peak this year's spring break.

Call big mountain central reservations.. they have airport transfer for $45 round trip.. if you stay in town..I don't remember when the first snow bus is..but its FREE.. the cheapest on the Mountain is Hibernation house...FREE breakfast everymorning... if your fogged in they offer a lower lift pass for $29 and you get some great groom from there..some of the best runs are off of Chair 2.

Amtrak is fun,,did it twice.. but it breaks down. and never on time..

We plan on doing it again next year sametime same channel..

Good luck!

Right said Shred

Thanks for the photos Shred - the foggy ones from today is how our 6 days were back in 2002. I agree on best runs being off chair 2. Ed's run was my favorite! Is Wild Bill still on the job?

Gleb - consider paying your tuition on a frequent flier card and in a few years you will probably have earned a round trip!

Thanks for the photos Shred - the foggy ones from today is how our 6 days were back in 2002. I agree on best runs being off chair 2. Ed's run was my favorite! Is Wild Bill still on the job?

Never did clear enough to see Glacier Park until January the year I was there. I didn't care as I was riding pow in the trees until the cows came home. But it was full surface navigation conditions.

FCA is reasonably close 15 minutes say. If it is holding you back give me a call I will pick you up at the airport and drop you in whitefish. from there the ski bus to the mountain is free everyday stops several places in town. stay in town cheap and ride the bus up and down. also several hotels have shuttles from the airport. spokane airport though you are on your own.

According to the big mountain vertical tracker, this past week we logged in over 400,000 vertical feet between the four of us....now for the bad news. Only two of us are responsible for over 300,000 of that. Seven days of great riding!

Thanks goes out to all the locals(Dr. D) we met this week. And to all the non-locals that went out of their way to say hello.

If you didn't join us this year, you'll be one year older when you do!

Guest Fred Goober

Wrong,, I do beleive PK is over stated things a tad!!

Remeber, its not if ya got outside,, Its if you rode anything !! :rolleyes: get it.. can't say that for the rest in the party!! although they tried........1:00am

Klaus - 92,000

Shred 68,000

Chambers 55,000

Paul k , 952

Thats the numbers..

Does not look like the Mayor was running this year so.. no move as of yet for Paul!!! hehe:1luvu: