Note to New Members ×

.....need your advise???

markp

I puchased a cool Arbor snowboard for my daughter. It came with a Burton step in binding I'd never seen before. It's silver and blue, has a black plate you step down on in the rear, then this heal mechanism comes up behind the boot with a black plastic piece that sort of flips over onto the top of the heel of the boot. It doesn't look all that consistant. It's a 4 hole binding so must be fairly new. She weighs about 125 and is a good snowboarder but never tried carving.

What do you guys think? Is this a good piece of euipment? Or am I putting my daughter at risk with a piece of junk? :confused:

thats the "bear trap" binding I believe...they are kinda hit and miss on proper engagement, but once they do engage they hold. pretty hard to release actually. I rode them for a while before I knew what intec was...

for a young girl, weight wont be an issue likely, but finding a boot that engages properly, consistently, might. when I had them I talked to Burton and even my Earth boots they said werent quite the right dimensions...they were designed to work with certain boots

so, basically if she can get them to engage consistently, she should be fine.

think you have a miss there Dave...

I have a pair of these bindings...they are not the bear traps (which I always found to be just plain scary to work on (hence the name),,,

I don't know the name or much about them...I have never had a problem putting lighter beginning riders on them, But I also wouldn't be caught dead riding them myself. the engagement is somewhat questionable, and I don't think that theyu would withstand serious riding. Mine is the only pair I've ever seen, so they didn't last long. that ought to tell you something.

can you post a picture?

They came in both adult and kids size and were manufactured between 1997 to 1999 (2000 for kids size). You can check my webpage for pictures and details. The Carrier is a plastic only bindings while the Performance and Race models have a aluminium plate underneath, a little more solid.

As a mom, I'd have to say, since the binding is your precious's connection to an otherwise nice snowboard, I'd go for a new upgrade. If these are 2000 era and they're plastic, I'd say I'd wouldn't risk it....

If she's keen on the stepins, get her some new Burtons.....

If she's keen on some performance, I'd peruse these boards or a buyer's guide