Note to New Members ×

Fakie carve

Neil Gendzwill

Hey B Buggs: If by "the butte" you mean Crested Butte, please forward a report upon your return. I'm curious about CB now that they are under management by the Muellers. Sorry for the off-topic...

Thanks for the tips, Sierra & NateW.

I know "describing" it is rather difficult, and I appreciated your time/effort. (I figured I could count on somebody here for that.) I'll try it out on my more-forgiving Burton Coil, but so far I've been lazy I keep pulling out my Proton in the morning for carving, without going back to the car to switch to Coil to practice these. But, will do so hopefully soon...!

Cheers,

- Hiroshi

• 1 month later...

but i realized something yesterday. and i don't know if this has been discussed in other threads, but i simply do not have the time to read through everything. it was a great big "duh" moment, but i feel compelled to share.

while out attempting to carve switch on a longer board (170 or 173, if you have ridden at my area you understand that these are long) i had found that i had a hard time getting my nose to track during toe-side turns, which is quite frustrating. well duh, fore and aft shifting makes a huge difference and is perhaps absolutely necessary in order to make a board with a relatively huge nose continue to track well. i had previously been so focused on staying centered that i wasn't continuing to pressure the nose of the board through the turn finish.

dang, i almost immmediately hooked up and sent myself into the trees. hooking up is a good feeling going both ways!

sorry to bore you all, but i felt like the biggest dope for not realizing this earlier. and that bit of aft movement makes it happen better than anything else i've played with. hmm, now to work on slalom turns....

happy riding!

i had previously been so focused on staying centered that i wasn't continuing to pressure the nose of the board through the turn finish.

Now you have a clear understanding why pressuring the nose is so important in your normal stance. Squeeze the turn with you knees, don't use your upper body to apply the pressure. It's kinda like a graceful dance under the pressure of 3g's.

Glad this thread got bumped... otherwise i would have overlooked it. Fakie carving isn't just cool and showoff-y, but extremely helpful in the narrow runs at my home mountain. thanks to everyone who gave tips & advice.

wow eddie, where was that question within my post?

the instructor/i love snowboarding and want to help people figure out how to ride better, in me just wanted to share an observation. watch people ride, and you may notice that many folks are not as dynamic of riders when they ride switch as they are when they ride in their normal direction, regardless of the gear that they are on.

i never questionned how to make a toe-side turn, so why are you directing that advice towards me? some advice i should take myself is to exercise caution in giving unsolicited advice.

wow eddie, where was that question within my post?

the instructor/i love snowboarding and want to help people figure out how to ride better, in me just wanted to share an observation. watch people ride, and you may notice that many folks are not as dynamic of riders when they ride switch as they are when they ride in their normal direction, regardless of the gear that they are on.

i never questionned how to make a toe-side turn, so why are you directing that advice towards me? some advice i should take myself is to exercise caution in giving unsolicited advice.

Whatever... It sounds like I have belittled you and your snowboarding skills from that response, oh well. Keep feeling angry. I would have said sorry about that but since you want to try hard to make me look like an idiot so your internet image is not tainted, that's fine by me.

Wait, hold on. I think I'll just give that cheap shot back to you.

the instructor/i love snowboarding and want to help people figure out how to ride better, in me just wanted...

I couldn't figure out what you were trying to say there until I realize the / should be a , in that line.

You're an instructor? You're just figuring that out with switch riding?

dude, you did belittle my knowledge and my riding abilities, while having absolutely no knowledge as to what my background is as a rider. all i did was share an observation that had been previously unmentionned. it can be a very exaggerated movement which apparently is so obvious that i have no right to even be out riding a snowboard. and you then opted to advise me as to how to carve a freakin toe-side turn?

hmmm, maybe you can offer me some insight as to how i should set up my bindings too. they're supposed to be duck, right?

what internet image? dude, most of the guys here already think i'm an idiot and an ornery witch. so what is there to preserve?

i am really just a skier who has been on rental gear a few times with those cool step in bindings and i like to spout off any dumb thing i want because all snowboarders are primal knuckledraggers. nothing but a bunch of lazy pot-smoking, booze swilling womanizing thugs who have no right to be on the same slopes as us.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

wow

Alpinegirl, you just put the smack down!

From my point of view you both seem a little touchy today.

BTW, you seem pretty sharp to me.

anyway, there are far more fun topics to have a flame war about, perhaps we can get cmc and cf to be unbanned and have a thread for those two to have it out and maybe have maciek in there just to mix things up.

the funniest thing about meeting new people is that sometimes it is difficult to associate their riding with the initial impression that they leave.

You said it right but you don't know me too.

what internet image? dude, most of the guys here already think i'm an idiot and an ornery witch. so what is there to preserve?

I don't know but maybe there is a reason they think of you like that.

So I made a mistake, you still went ballistic. I know you are an instructor in western NY but your first response was so filled with anger I thought it would be fun to toy with you and see what happened.

Both bob and tex spend too much time on the internet and need some entertainment and gleb's feelings might get hurt if the flames continue.

BTW- Toe-side switch is the same movement as non-switch, just reversed. :1luvu:

I thought it would be fun to toy with you and see what happened.

BTW- Toe-side switch is the same movement as non-switch, just reversed. :1luvu:

first quote response: hey, me too! ;)

second one: yeah, i do know that quite well. my point was really just to exaggerate the aft.

now the fun switch riding task is slalom turns. rumor has it that you use the same exact movements that you do while riding "non-switch," and not a reversal of them. i have a new goal!

now to go test the waterproofing of a jacket in our awesome weather.