Note to New Members ×

Question about what board to go with..

B18C1

Hi :D ,

I'm new here so I might as well present myself first, I'm 18 years old, I live in quebec, I have been snowboarding for 5 years now (Hard boots for 3 only years)

My first alpine board, a old Oxygen Kr-56 is dying... So I have been looking around for quite a while and I still can't make up my mind on what board to buy:confused: .

What I'm looking for is a board with a really good edge grip, a medium turn radius (Since I usually am riding that 300 feet hill we call ''Mont saint-bruno") and some versatility ("snow condition wise") Also, I already have my fixations so I cannot go with the burton fix patterns.

So far, I checked out those Prior WCR, the proton SL and of course the Swoard :1luvu: (A little too expensive :( ). I don't know much about alpine snowboard brands, so Im really willing to try any of them.

My budget is approximatly of 750 CAD. Oh and the board I need should be between 158 cm and 168 cm. :p

So that's about it. I would really appreciate some suggestions from anyone about what brand/board I should consider or look up. Thank you very much for your time ! Long life to carving. -Jules

*Sorry for my bad english..

Thank you very much for the fast answer, it's the first time I hear about Madd. From the reviews, it looks pretty good. Too bad that 158 was already sold in that vendor section :( 170 might be a little too big for my weight (140lbs). Although... I'm not sur about Madd's board graphics, they're kind of.. Original :rolleyes: But still, I'll keep an eye on the vendor forum in case a 158 shows up. What about Nidecker, is it comparable ? Thank you for your time. -Jules

Hi :D ,

What I'm looking for is a board with a really good edge grip, a medium turn radius (Since I usually am riding that 300 feet hill we call ''Mont saint-bruno") and some versatility ("snow condition wise") Also, I already have my fixations so I cannot go with the burton fix patterns.

The Madd is probably a lot skinnier than the Oxygen you're currently riding. I'm guessing your Oxygen has a 19.5cm waist. I also thought the Madd was geared for people in the 170 lb range.

I weigh in at 132 lb and ride a Donek FC2 163. Great edge hold, 10m side cut and 19.5 cm waist. The flex on the Donek feels just right for my weight and riding style.

But since your looking for some versatility, you might want to look at an all mountain board. Like the Donek Axis or Prior 4WD. The Axis and 4WD will also have a smaller side cut than the FC2, which you might like better for your small hill.

Guest Mikef5000

I'm in almost the EXACT situation you are. I've been told to look at the Donek Axis boards! They're not real expensive new either. And a few sizes to choose from in your range.

Actually, I'm really interested in those Madds, although a 170 might be a little too big for me (140 lbs 5'8). I'd rather go with a 158, correct me if I'm wrong.Yeah I looked donek up too, the freecarve looked interesting too. I'll be looking for those 2 brands in the vendor section.. If anyone has a 05++ Madd 158 for sale in a good condition, please contact me. Thank you for all your answers. -Jules :D

I would keep my eyes open for a Volkl Renntiger. Either the GS 168 or the SL 163. I own a 168 and I find it is very forgiving, holds ice well and likes to run fast. I was riding it at Sir Sam's (total vert. 330 ft.) after an ice storm and it was the perfect board for that hill and conditions.

Bomber sells new ones and there a lots of used ones that come up in the classifieds. The new boards are at the top end of your price range but you should talk to your local Volkl rep. He might know of a shop selling an older one or maybe he can hook you up with a pro deal.

... but felt it was too soft for me at 195 pounds, so I sold it.

It wasn't a whole heckuva lot stiffer than my wife's Coiler FC165, which was built for a 130 pound beginning carver. If it didn't have the same sidecut radius (the edge lined up alsmot exactly with her Coiler, which is 10.5) I would have kept it for her.

I suspect you'd do well on it, and as others have noted there are two available on the classifieds right now.

I am 210 lbs and even though it may be for a lighter rider, it holds me better than any other boards I have. It is forgiving and meets all of the descriptions provided by other folks on this thread.

The one at $400 is a steal (IMO)and I would get it, but my wife would go nuts. If you knew the story ( at least what I was told)behind the graphics, it wouldnt trouble you so much. I wasnt too thrilled about the graphics, but once I heard the story about it, graphics, didnt matter, the board just rocks, at least for me.

I dont know what JAck's is at as far as cost but word is he keeps great care of his boards, so you would be good to go.

158 is way too stiff for your weight.

I finally decided to go with Jack's board, I just can't wait to try it. Yeah, I do agree, the graphics look kind of different, but as you say, it doesn't really matter as long as the board rides well... :cool: But I would still be interested in hearing that story if you don't mind !! :D Thanks much ! :biggthump -Jules