Note to New Members ×

US Passports to Canada

dbrsb

Interesting article in the Detroit newspaper.

Travelers to Canada will need a new PASS in '08

----------------------------------------

Commuters between the United States and Canada will have the option of using

a new passport card the size of a driver's license and costing about $50

under a new plan. Source: The Detroit News (1/18)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060118/METRO/601180358/1003

Why? just get a real one to go anywhere..

am I missing something.. I did see it was intended for people work or have to travel a lot between the two..

Its for Mexico too.. supposed to be quicker..

Now look for the people who conterfiet driver licenses..cause its supposed to resemble the same.

Too much Bill O'Reilly! NOT never too much!!

Shred

****ing douchebags at homeland security and their push for RF chips in ID cards, licenses and passports

this opens up one more way people to have their privacy invaded by third parties very easily, identity theft is going to get allot easier soon if these people get their way

****ing douchebags at homeland security and their push for RF chips in ID cards, licenses and passports

this opens up one more way people to have their privacy invaded by third parties very easily, identity theft is going to get allot easier soon if these people get their way

I doubt it. I think its gonna get harder. I much am opposed to the idea, though.

have the same info that is on your ID or passport including your social security #

with this info you can do all sorts of fun stuff to peoples credit

the problem being is that with the RF chip all you need to do to read it is get within a meter or so of someone

even if its encrypted it makes little difference because it will be broken

if it were some other technology that required physical contact with the ID that would be better but thats not the case at all, the last I heard about it was that they were going to use RF chips

as a side note I really don't like the idea of having a radio tag like I am some endangered species, the idea of someone checking my ID without actually letting them I feel is a invasion of my privacy even if the government does it.

That article is very misleading. It makes it look like the Canadian government has something to do with this. In fact, it's the US government backing down on an earlier plan to require passports for Canadians to gain entry to the US. Now they have this new plan to use this glorified drivers license thing. The Canadian government is trying to figure out what to do, typically the US and Canada have had very similar rules about border crossings for its citizens. If the US goes ahead with this, we probably will have to introduce our own version of the card.

What is the hangup about Americans getting passports? I might be generalising here, but you're all bitching and moaning like it's some horrendous invasion of your rights.

The days of security free travel, like the days of cheap gas, are gone, people. Apart from the fact that renewing a passport every five years is a money grab, if you're leaving the US, just get one! Honestly, it's real easy, the world is not going to end, and it makes your life at border crossings and airports SOOO much easier. And it sounds a damn sight more useful than some silly card that won't get you over any border outside North America - for when you decide to take that trip to Portillo ...

I can actually see a lot of uses for a PASS card thing ... like when the crossing is closed, being able to swipe the card in the middle of the night to get through, or being able to cross the border (for all those frequent commuters) in much the same way as you'd cross a toll bridge. A lot of it makes good sense.

I've never seen ANY passport that has your Social Security information on it ... and I've seen a few passports from a number of countries ... I'm also pretty sure that even the best identity thieves would have a hell of a time replicating your fingerprints and eyes!

... just someone who has travelled quite a bit within North America and abroad. Not being a North American national I have to carry a passport everywhere I go. I never have any issues when I travel, apart from the officious bastids in the US, but they're onto everyone and not just me. My other half has a new Canadian passport he's used twice to get in and out of the US - no fuss, drama, or BS, step right up.

Biometrics? Hell, the US Govt already has mine about 6 times over. Your drivers licence has your name AND address - your passport doesn't. Which one gives the identity thief the better headstart?? And which would you rather take to a foreign country??

Actually, my last employment profile test categorised me as "big-corporate unemployable". There goes that fat government job ... :)

What is the hangup about Americans getting passports? I might be generalising here, but you're all bitching and moaning like it's some horrendous invasion of your rights.

I can actually see a lot of uses for a PASS card thing ... like when the crossing is closed, being able to swipe the card in the middle of the night to get through, or being able to cross the border (for all those frequent commuters) in much the same way as you'd cross a toll bridge. A lot of it makes good sense.

Sounds funny. Swipe-and-go: all convenience, guess to whom. Contradicts the purpose of invention.

It is not important what you carry - it is important who you are or what your intentions are. Everything ain't on any card. Steal or make counterfeit (if one can do that) and "you are"... well, that's a sense of identity theft.

You are who you are. You have credentials from authorized entity. You know what you know.

Break one and that is wrong person, but you have to match all of them. Using one for convenience means breaking security rules. If they plan on using any cards with RFID without actually matching information from it with person crossing the borader (eyes, fingerprints e.t.c.) then that is foolish and costly idea by some political lobbysts. Nothing else.

BTW all Americans should be within the same rules as foreigners no convenience passes or exeptions. Otherwise you are not talking about security as exception breaks security strength. There are places in this world that even American "security things" can be made counterfeit. It is probably more easy to come up with breaking scheme than with genuine security scheme. And artifacts like passes are simply artifacts that one putting enough money can get them counterfeit.

People, some places in this world want to put enough money to build new nuclear weapons these days so, what are we talking about?!