Note to New Members ×

First Board

Guest vaguelyevilguy

Guest vaguelyevilguy

I'm about 135 lb, 5'4", and looking to get my first alpine setup. At this point, I ride softies cranked to pretty high angles on a 156-cm salomon freeride board. I like big, open groomers and powder, making long, laid-out turns or just cruising.

My first concern is comfort, and my second is cost. I'll probably spring for whatever I need to to get great-fitting boots, and try to save money on board and bindings.

My question: How good of a carving board is the Burton Alp? I'm seeing them real cheap on the Chris Klug site, and I want to figure out if they'll last me a few seasons. Are they significantly slower, or worse at holding an edge, than newer all-mountain boards?

I would put my money one somthing better then entry level like the Alp. You should be able to find high end stuff bargains if you look around a bit.

I tried the Alp for a bit a couple of years ago and having been on the Factory and Ultra primes it was a waste of good riding time.

I tried the Alp for a bit a couple of years ago and having been on the Factory and Ultra primes it was a waste of good riding time.

I concur, the Burton Alp sucks. But the one I had was the asym version. Maybe the symmetrical version at Klugriding are a bit better. Plus at $160, you can get a much better board.

For a cheap first board, you should look for an Oxygen Proton.

For bindings, check out the Proflex

Proflex on E-Bay

I bought the exact same bindings from the same seller($49 delivered). The ProFlex are older versions of the F2 bindings.

The ProFlex are easy to set up, flexy and the rear bail stays up when you want it to. The ProFlex comes with a removable cant wedge.

My only complaint was that regular shipping took 40 days! If you want the bindings right away, you might want to opt for air shipment.

Guest vaguelyevilguy

As someone pretty good at carving on a freeride board, would jumping straight to a factory prime or ultra prime be overwhelming? My initial inclination was to try to buy an axis or a 4wd, but looking at the classifieds, ebay, and klugriding, it's looking like the burtons are the most economical sticks out there.

I think the best transition is to buy hardboots and bindings and put them on your freeride board. Set your angles around 47/43. Ride like that until you get used to it. Then move to the skinny board.

Jumping right to an FP with 18cm waist and 55+ angles will be un-nerving. I had a friend who tried that. Took two turns and removed her board and tried to walk down the mountain. Flagged down a toboggan and got a ride down. Oh, the shame.

Guest vaguelyevilguy

I've got weird feet, the kind that rarely find shoes to fit them, leading me to think that it probably makes sense to get some sort of boots with thermo liners. Do prices drop significantly at the end of the season, or is trying to find some used ones now my best bet?

my first board is a burton ultra prime and its pretty good. Of course I can't compare it to any other board because this is the only board ive had but it defintly suits me. I have never had any snowboarding experience before trying it out so you'll be fine as long as you don't give up.

Some of your friends might say "just go down" and that is when you tell them, "why don't you try it out?" make sure you bring some popcorn:lurk:

edit: come to think of it, i actually don't reccommend that at all. Just have fun:biggthump