Note to New Members ×

Burton FP vs. Alp

kirtap

I am currently riding a Burton Alp 5.7. This is my first board, and when I bought it, people suggested that I use the Alp to learn the basics since it was cheap since I wasnt sure I was going to like it. They said that when I was ready to move up on the skill levels, I should look for a new board since the Alp could only take me so far. In the classifieds I saw a Burton Factory Prime 5.7 for sale around $100 and was just wondering if anyone thinks that would be worth it? Is there a big difference in the performance between the two? I basically like just carving around the hill although i would like to get into racing, its just hard with my current schedule.

thanks

thanks

How can you choose the lenght of a board without telling (at least) which is your weight?

:-O

157 could be even too long! :-D

Mainly, the FP has nothing to share with alp.

But keep in mind that FP are old board, so it could be really soft, now (depending on its usage and year of construction).

I have ridden both...started on a alp56 and then went to a fp57....IMHO the two where totally different rides. the alp was more forgiving in terms of stance location...the fp you have to be riding on the sweet spot to get it to work but once you do the fp is a much more fun ride...I also second bobdea maybe you should look for a longer boards...I ride a fairly small crowded mountain but now I am up to a fp167 and its just fine except for the really crowded days

I've owned both FP's and Alps. Alp is a softer wider board with a bit more tip and tail rise, so less effective edge. The Alp also has a deeper sidecut radius, which is an advantage on the crowded, short hills you speak of. If I remember correctly, my old 163 Alp had a sidecut in the neighborhood of 9 to 10m, my 167 FP in the neighborhood of 12-13m. FP is better for speed and GS turns, Alp more forgiving for variable snow.

im a bout 5' 8" and pushing 150 pounds if that helps you guys. i think a longer board would be fun, ive just heard that it would be hard on smaller hills. maybe ive heard wrong...

For your weight, a FP 157 would be fine (but also a 160-162 one).

If you are looking for longer board but you need to have short radius, you can choose a freecarve one (F2 Silberfpeil or similar).

Otherwise, the GS board make you turn wider (and it seems it's not what you want/can do).

Regards

I went from an alp164 to a FP167 then quickly to a donek 185. The alp and fp are completely different boards. Especially back when I made the switch (the FP was and 18.0 cm waist board at the time). I personally felt at the time, that the only NOTABLE difference though was the required binding angles on the narrower board. (yes it was more stable, yes you could push the nose harder, yes it required a little more finesse)

What kind of turns do you enjoy making? I personally think you will find that the fp157 makes tight slalom style turns, whereas when you get up into the 160 range they switch over to more GS style turns. I think either board would work for your weight, just make sure you pick the one that matches the "style" turns you are looking to make. If it were me, I would look for something just a hair longer than the fp157.

here is a link to one of the FP 5.7 i have found. as for my turns, since my hill (notice there was no use of the word "mountian"... :nono: ha) i have to keep it somewhat down hill and not pull back up the hill or else i would lose most of my speed and not be able to make it back up by the end. i tend to do bigger carves towards the bottom when i know its almost over. i attached my best attempt at drawing what my carves tend to look like. maybe anyone from minnesota who has ever been to hyland can help me out here. i also looked for a longer board in the 160's but wasnt able to find any under $150 which is about my price range. hopefully that narrows it down a bit.

Burton FP 5.7

carve diagram.bmp

I currently own and ride both an alp and fp. The fp is by far a more fun carving board, much faster and able to make bigger gs type turns. I would advise looking for a longer fp-check maybe klugriding.com. I'm 115lbs and i ride a fp5.7, so it may be a bit too small on you. you should be good to go up a bit in size and still be able to weave through the people slalom on your hill.

an email has been sent about the 164 although he did post it in november. hopefully he still has it...anyone happen to know who he is or bought anything from him before? i see he has tried to sell things before but none of the threads say sold or have any closings in them so im curious.

• 5 weeks later...

hey kirtap, heres my situat im 170 5'7 I started on a 180s fp at afton now i ride at welch once a week. ive had the board since 1999. i absolutly think this board is one of the greatest boards high speed total control, always turning heads.

like one of your commentators before mentioned slalom or GS what do you enjoy?

My next board will be a slalom board for bit of transition since ive been rideing this gs board for so long.

hope this helps.

I only weigh 6/7 pounds more than you and have no problem flexing the FP164. It's a very versatile board, short enough to throw around when you need to, but the 11.8 ish sidecut allows a lot more down time in the turns. That really allows you to refine your technique as things happen slower (relatively).

If you want to try one (at buckhill ), drop me an email (thru forum )

Are you on the local hardbooter's email list ?

BobD

Tem: it really depends on the day and what hill I'm on, but I guess all I've really ridden is a small slalom board and I'm looking for something bigger. I just bought the FP 167 and it should be here sometime this week.

BobD: thanks for the offer but like I just said, mine should be here soon. I'm not on the email list though, how would I get on that? I usually ride at Hyland since its the closest and depending on my work schedule (I work sat and/or sun from 8-2) I go out on on weekend mornings and maybe once during the week. If your ever going there, let me know.

Pat