Note to New Members ×

Divide and Conquer

cliffh

The Carving Community is getting really cumbersome on the new site. All the polls (stop that by the way, that's about enough!) come out on top and any real threads get buried on the second page. Most other forums are divided into subject areas with Polls having their own Subject. How about dividing up the forum by subject - General Crap, Tech Talk, Resort Areas, Regional, etc., etc. Then maybe have an area with the most active 10 or so subjects so you don't have to search for active threads. I would keep the number of subjects to a minimum.

Just my 2 cents.

Cliff

The fact that you missed <a href="http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44">this thread</a> kinda proves your point.

But I don't think things should be split. If the polls would not go to the top whenever there is a new vote then most of the problem would go away.

One other problem for me is that the icons that are meant to indicate whether a thread has new messages are not reliable - some threads are shown as having no new messages even when there are new messages. I don't understand...

What I'd really like is if the URL for a thread would change whenever a new message was added to it. That would make the link to the thread change from "visited" to "unvisited", which integrates nicely with the browser interface, and is how the old forum worked.

I too like the idea of catagorizing threads. As you said, it does tend to keep discussions more on-topic, and makes it MUCH easier to wade through all the information. I think too much stuff will be lost/missed with the current format.

Here is a link to a forum that divides things into categories. Though I will have to admit, this site took it too far. As a result, I haven't been too active there. (I was also there from the beginning, so mebby the novelty is wearing off... or I know everything there is to know! :D ) They have regional forums, techincal forums, and everything else imaginable.

OK, took the time to research more of my options on this new forum package. I have changed the settings so that when someone votes in a poll it does NOT put that threadat the top. This should even the threads out more.

I agree, the poll-orgy going on right now is a bit out of hand. However, with the new setting and the "newness" factor wearing off, I think this will calm down a bit. We'll keep an eye on it and see.

Splitting up the forum is not something I am looking to do soon. Once this Poll-O-Rama calms down we should be fine. Split forums only starts to work with REALLY large numbers and we are only at 200+ members right now. When the day comes we may look into it but we are fine right now.

Tommy D: so your a performance Subaru fan? Right on, I myself am in the middle of a Subi project. E-mail me and I'll give you the details. Whats your ride?

jeez. now i feel bad. I was just playing with the new poll toy ... had i known people were so annoyed i wouldn't have put one on there.

relax folks, the poll craze will go away... it's just many of us like playing with new toys!! i even tried playing with the private msg toy but that's disabled. ;)

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Here's a <b>tip</b> though, when you finish reading a thread, instead of hitting your browser's back button, go to the top of the thread and click the Carving Community link. This seems to be reliably refreshing the thread status icons for me, and shuffling threads with new messages up to the top.

-Jack

I like my tabbed browsing with Mozilla, so Reload does the job for me.

Derf

I like the menu of www.freecarve.com/default.asp The subjects of the site covers all the stuff we want to talk about. The only disadvantage is that you don't have an actual oversight of the youngest thread. But there is a statement of Johan Cruijff (the best soccerplayer in the world) which make sense: every advantage has its own disadvantage. So you can't please everyone.

Cheers, Hans.

Originally posted by Baka Dasai:

One other problem for me is that the icons that are meant to indicate whether a thread has new messages are not reliable - some threads are shown as having no new messages even when there are new messages.

I've narrowed down this problem - it happens when two different PCs (2 IP addresses) are used with the same login.

Things work fine if only one PC is used.