Note to New Members ×

should i use my file guide?

snow|3oarder

I got a donek FC II this season and the factory bevels have not been touched. I also bought a file guide for a 2 deg side bevel and a decent file. Should I just go ahead and file away the factory bevel to get the 2 deg side bevel? If so, how would i know when i have filed enough? Should I go to a shop and have them tune it for me? :confused:

If your new at this I would advise letting a good shop set your desired bevels and then you can just maintain it with some diamond stones and your bevel guide. It's not that tough but you can do some damage pretty fast with a file. Ask the shop tech to let you watch him doing it.

Then practice on someone elses gear :)

lol....wiser words were never spoken

Rock boards are fantastic for tuning practice too. Working on a board that's had the snot beat out of it is tricker than a working on a new board - when you can do a nice edge job on your rock board, you're ready to work on your prime gear.

Way more important than the side bevel would be the base bevel. This is one of the factors of how the board turns. Donek boards come from the factory 0/0 and running it flat could be a tricky ride. Try to find a local ski shop that tunes for a race team. Start with a 1 degree base bevel and ride it a couple times, then maybe go to a 2. You will notice a difference. The only problem with it could be if you get too much base bevel and don't like it, you have to start over flat (0) with a base grind (too much grinding will shorten the boards life). A good shop will show you how to keep your edges deburred and running smoothly without tunning the life out of your board.

Personal preference is the largest factor in a good tune.

For info and supplies on tunning, a great web site is racewax.com

The guys at startingate were cool about tuning before...im sure they would let me watch. Unfortunately they are located in VT, and I dont know when im going back. Anyone know of a good shop in NJ? Otherwise im probably gonna send my board in the mail for a tune if it comes to that.

I take mine to small empire in Ledgewood..they do a good job for cheap...not PTC good but nice.....24$ for a basic....if you what edge bevels they send the board out to somebody else and the price doubles.