Note to New Members ×

Coming to New Mexico?

RDY_2_Carve

New Mexico is an excellent place for alpine snowboarding! Our conditions are typically packed powder with clear skies. We do have the occasional powder days as well. Temps are normally in the 20's during peak season but you can ride in your T-Shirt in late season!

New Mexico has some excellent grooming particularly at Ski Santa Fe (the owner is quite anal about his grooming).

The 05/06 NM season IS starting late, but IF you are planning a trip to New Mexico by all means contact me so we can hook up. Email via Bomber is fine or directly at johnpaulwynn@hotmail.com

There is one other carver on BOL that lives in New Mexico but he is a busy guy instructing up at Santa Fe and he's also working Mon-Fri this season. I am a weekend warrior as I work at Kirtland AFB Mon-Fri so weekends are perfect for me. With some notice I can take off weekdays too!

I am at Angel Fire every Sunday unless I go someplace further north (Colorado anyone?).

So far this season I have been to:

Angel Fire, NM (every Sunday since opening)

Ski Cooper, CO

Breckenridge, CO

Red River, NM

Places I already have tickets for and will be going to this season:

Aspen, CO (SES 06)

Powderhorn, CO

A-Basin, CO

Sunlight, CO

Monarch Mountain, CO

Durango, CO

Red River, NM (have one more ticket)

Taos, NM (does this count?)

Ski Apache, NM

Sipapu, NM

I also have one lift ticket to Angel Fire that I will give to any BOL member that is willing to come take some turns with me.

Have a great season!

John Wynn

• 3 weeks later...
Guest madison907

My dad was displaced by Hurricane Katrina and he moved to Las Crusus. I don't know the NM area but I am willing to travel to board. He is a little depressed due to he lost everything and he feels along. So I guess I would be staying with him. Is there any good boarding? How far would I be away for the carving?

Whoa! That's way down south. Sure you don't wanna just head to Mexico and drink some tequila? :)

Your closest ski resort would be Ski Apache in Ruidoso, NM. Their conditions are worse than the resorts north of Albuquerque from what I've seen. Sucks too as I have a lift ticket for there that I've already paid for (in a package).

We just haven't had any snow this year. I think Angel Fire has had around 60" so far this year. It's pretty bad. Last year we had like 250" at almost every resort with most of them having 100" bases. It's just an off year-it happens.

Angel Fire has a Sunday Season pass for $99 that pays for itself in two trips. That's a 6 hour drive from Las Cruces though. I pretty much go every Sunday so if you make the drive to Albuquerque (3 hours) then you can ride with me up to Angel Fire. Or you can add another 1.5 hours to that and hit Durango, CO. Of course there's tons of options further north in CO, but that drive is going to be rough.

Angel Fire is good for carving but Santa Fe is probablly a little better. Plus Angel Fire has fast lifts and terrain parks which Santa Fe doesn't. Also Angel Fire has the best snowmaking in New Mexico which has helped tremendously this year to say the least.

You'll probablly be dissapointed with current NM resorts but if your like me I'd rather be carving than sitting at home-regardless of the conditions! Just email me when you have firm dates and we'll work out some kind of gameplan.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he's on the path to recovery!

Guest madison907

As soon as I get some dates I will get back to you right away. There is always an option to fly into Santa Fe, board, and rent a car and drive to Las Crusis. We should be able to figure something out. Thanks for the input on the resorts, sounds like the snow has been sub-par for NM. Take it easy, Gavin

• 3 weeks later...
Guest madison907

After looking at the conditions at the resorts it looks like they all are pretty bad. After some consideration, I don't think I am going to bring my alpine gear with, unless you have got some large snow days. I looked at Ski Apache and they are reporting 9 runs out of 55 or something like that. Got a nice price on a flight into El Paso. So do you think its worth bringing my stuff with and traveling a bit?

If you have the space bring your stuff. Ski Apache has the worst conditions in NM but it's not a whole lot better everywhere else. I personally would go up to Ski Santa Fe and hook up with Mark J. If you get a hold of him in advance he can probablly get you a pass and if it's a weekday he probablly won't have a class so he can carve with you (and give you great tips too!). He's been doing this for 18 years and is a Level 2 instructor. One of the best carvers I've ever rode with. No offense to anybody at SES of course....

Guest madison907

I will be flying in on the 3rd of March. I am also bringing a mountain bike. How long would it take me to drive from Las Cruses to where you are? Is it worth it? I have never been to New Mexico so I'm somewhat curious to board there. What do you think? Are you still going to Angel Fire on the weekends? Lots of questions, but its sort of a hassel to bring all that stuff and have a "bunk" time. Thanks, Gavin

Bring your stuff Gavin...I'll make sure you have a good time! If you want to lighten the load you can take out my Burton Speed 158 Wide. It has Burton Standard Race Plates so they should fit right up to whatever boots you bring.

I think it's about 3 hours from Las Cruces to Albuquerque. I-25 all the way @75mph. I'll take care of you from there! If you need to do some tuning or waxing I can accomidate that as well.

I don't ride Bikes but I understand New Mexico has some of the best places in the U.S. for it. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed!

I'm heading to Durango this Sunday but next Sunday we'll be heading to Angel Fire. I have a lift ticket for you to help with some of the costs. Send me a PM so we can exchange numbers via email.

Cheers,

John

Guest madison907

Alright, I will bring my stuff. My email is gavinreynolds907@yahoo.com. I will bring two cell phones just in case one of them doesn't work, plus I will have your number.

I am looking forward to doing some turns with you, I hope I can keep up. Also you can show me some pointers.

I am a little tired this morning, we just got a large dumping of fresh powder, so I was out plowing driveways last night. Really the only thing good about getting snow here is the snow shoeing, the ski hill here likes to groom that stuff right away. Lets shoot for that Sunday, the 5th to go to Angel. I am way stoked, this will be the bomb, fricking boarding one day and them mountain biking my ass off. Later, Gavin

Ski Apache is also nice place for carving if there is snow, for me, nordic person, it has most "mexcan" atmosphere too :1luvu:

But my personal ranking fo NM resorts were:

1.SantaFe, best slopes, nice great town with plenty of options and cheap hotels.

Muerte is great slope :D

2.SkiApache, several nice runs but some of them are quite dangerous if you fall with high speed cause you might slide to woods :eek:

3.AngelFire not so steep ones several quite good ones, but more carvers than other resorts.

Ski Apache is also nice place for carving if there is snow, for me, nordic person, it has most "mexcan" atmosphere too :1luvu:

But my personal ranking fo NM resorts were:

1.SantaFe, best slopes, nice great town with plenty of options and cheap hotels.

Muerte is great slope :D

2.SkiApache, several nice runs but some of them are quite dangerous if you fall with high speed cause you might slide to woods :eek:

3.AngelFire not so steep ones several quite good ones, but more carvers than other resorts.

Muerte is da bomb! Gavin I can also talk to Mark J. and we could perhaps hit up Santa Fe instead. It's alot closer but it's a matter of IF he can get us free passes. It's really upto you though. I think Santa Fe is better for carving despite their having very dismal conditions this season (worse than Angel Fire).

I'll email you my cell phone number and we can work out details. You can crash out here or at my best friends house if you want to drive in early. I'll talk to my best friend about it as he's in full bachelor mode right now and he's got plenty of space. My house is always kinda hectic with the wife and my 18 month old.

Talk to you soon!

JPW

• 11 months later...

My favorite areas are Angel Fire and Pajarito.

Angel Fire because there are more carvers there then any where else and the attitude and community are very supportive.

Pajarito because the the mountain is steep and challenging. Only problem is they are all natural snow so they've had a few seasons where they haven't been able to open. But when the snow is deep, the mountain rocks. Its my first hill and and will always be a place I go back to, especially when I need to get my ridding back in shape. Its like the grasshopper returning to the Sefu.

RDY_2_Carve, I think I met you on the Angel Fire lift last weekend. I'm still embarrased you caught me on my free ride board with soft boots, but hey, you were a day late. I was hard booting it all day the day before till they kicked me off the mountain. Hope to see you up at the USASA Races Januarry 27th at AF. But if not, we'll have to catch up and make some carves.

Yep that was me!

No worries I get caught in my softies from time to time myself. That was a semi-powder day from what I recall. Plus you spent the day before racing all day, no?

Anyways I met another guy from Trinidad CO (I think) last weekend. He was on a RT173GS/TD2/SB Series boots. We did a couple runs together. He's at Angel Fire pretty regularly from what he said.

I can't believe I'm finally meeting carvers in NM! Very stoked!

We are on the Sunday pass so we're there almost every Sunday. This weekend I won't be there since I have a Super Bowl party to attend, but next weekened I'll be back at Angel Fire.

I plan on doing a 1/2 day at Sandia this Sunday before the game. I'll email you to see if your interested...

Once again, a day late. You met up with Jim. He's a cool guy and was racing the day before as well. I was trying to convince him to try the boarder cross races at the end of Febuary. Hope he comes over for that.

But hey, just to get you hungry for crashing gates, I make take you up on hitting Sandia Sunday morning.

I'll send you email, but I was debating hitting Pajarito Saturday. You may want to bring both soft and hard for that mountain. The grooms are steep, but the powder is deeper. If not this weekend, we should make plans for the near future.

I wonder if we could hook you up with a six pack at Angel Fire. One year I got both a six pack (6 for $99) and a Sunday for $99. That was 6 full weekends for less then $200. Keep an eye out at the end of the season, they offer current pass holders (sunda only incl.) next season including summer for $199. I missed out on that last year, but bought in the year before (yes, the one with the crappy season).