Note to New Members ×

I just found religion....

Scorpio

and it was on a Tomahawk

I finally tried out the the GS 185 (Thanks Justin) this weekend at Heavenly. Conditions were great esp on the nevada side. This was my first GS stick so I was pretty nervous. The longest board I've ever ridden was a 167 axis so I decided to take the leap of faith and go LARGE! Thankfully, the racer whom I bought it from weighed (around 155lbs) the same as me so it turned out to be less stiff than what I was expecting. In fact, I felt that my axis was more stiff than this board.

To be honest, I didn't think it was that difficult to maneuver this board through traffic or narrow trails. All you guys got me nervous with your stories of riding longboards in traffic and being a relatively green rider with only a few seasons under his belt, I thought I had a world of hurt coming to me. I was cruising on the tight busy trails just as well as I was on my SL board. I was actually a lot more stable at speed and the board was tracking pretty straight unlike the SL.

The board was a rocket. On the groom it felt great. Unfortunately, I just need to work on my technique. I kept of losing edge hold but that was probably because I wasn't powering my edges correctly. The only time the length became difficult was on mogul/chopped up runs. I tried my best to avoid them. Hard time whipping the board around from heelside to toeside. I kept on sitting on the tail esp during the steep which made it difficult to transition to toe edge. I gotta get used to keeping my weight shifted forward but on the steeper pitches, instict keeps me leaning back.

Its my first weekend out and I gotta just keep on practicing. Otherwise, this is an awesome board. I know there's a Virus, madd, coiler (and a few others) following on here but if you get your hands on one of these, give it a go. I'll spearhead the T-hawk following here that's for sure.

Now I'm really itchin to tryout a coiler or other comprable for a good comparison. Until then, I'm letting the 'hawk' loose whenever possible.

Hey, thats great that you enjoy the Tomahawks. I am still fearing the step up from my 17X GS board to a full 184/5 cm GS board.

During the last weeks Dieter Krassnig and some others have sold off their 185 and 184cm Tomahawks on ebay Austria (10 races in use, waxed like 30 times, normally went for around 200-300€) I just feel unsecure buying a board from a worldcup pro who weighs 20 kg more than me (65 vs 85kg) as DK1 switched to Virus.

Harald Walder is selling of his 184 Rossignols that were produced like 2-3 years ago before he switched to Tomahawk. He still races on Tomahawk because he says Kessler only provides him with ****ty quality. For Austrians the only way to score good Kessler boards seems to buy them from Swiss racers.