Note to New Members ×

What resort do you want to go too ?

Guest jeffnstefanie

Guest jeffnstefanie

If you could go anywhere to ride, where would you go ?

I think the place I would like to go is Whistler Blackcomb,

then again my brother lives in Reno so Tahoe might be good.

Originally posted by jeffnstefanie

If you could go anywhere to ride, where would you go ?

I think the place I would like to go is Whistler Blackcomb,

then again my brother lives in Reno so Tahoe might be good.

Whistler/Blackcomb is my favorite. Breckenridge and Copper in Colorado are good too. I go to Lake Tahoe now and it's like going on vacation every weekend (I grew up in New England). I don't think you really can go wrong with most bigger western Coloado, Utah, Oregon, Washington. Those are just the ones I've been to (I've been to Mt.Hood, but only in the summer)

If you ever visit in Reno... check out Squaw and Alpine Meadows. Boreal can be fun, but it's a VERY short mountain (600 ft). Personally I would avoid Northstar (big lines, flat trails - although the backside is nice and steep) and Heavenly (lines, poor snow even on the Nevada side). Kirkwood is long drive away (over an hour) from Reno, but it's my favorite.

Originally posted by jeffnstefanie

Where do you want to go? What place do you dream of visiting ?

where have you always wanted to go but never been able to get too ?

Ah... well, I always wanted to go to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I was there as a kid on a summer vacation with my family. I was rummaging for a souvenir, something unique... more than just a t-shirt that said "Jackson Hole, Wy" on it (although my parents got one for me). And I came upon this silly fleece hat (DIGME) with earflaps on it (not as bad as the jester hats of the time, but not particularly great looking either) For some reason I really wanted it... so I got it and started wearing it all the time despite occasional strange looks from my friends.

I even learned how to snowboard wearing that hat later that year (not sure if it was just because I had it). So that hat kind of marks my introduction to snowboarding. So going back to Jackson Hole, would be like going back to where it all began for me.

Guest Matt D

Not Sure if its a resort, but I would love to go Heli in Valdez, Alaska. I've also heard great things about Italy, and Crans Montana in Switzerland.

I get to scratch out Whistler/Blackcomb from my hit list in March.

Stoaked!

I was at Jackson Hole two years ago. They had unbelievable grooming on the lower mountain. East Coast groomers are good, but not as that good. It was like polished table made especially for carvers. As long as there is no powder falling of the sky this is a great place (actually montain at Teton Village because Jackson Hole itself has rather average although very steep slope that is less popular).

My avatar on this side is made of picture taken in Jackson Hole on one of groomed trails.

My places of choice would be:

1. Whistler/Blackomb,

2. one or more of those at Tahoe area,

3. Sugarloaf - and that will probably happen for ECES

That's for this continent.

For the Old Continent, I would definitely go to one of greatest resorts in Switzerland or Austrian Alps. Maybe France, but not neccesarily.

I don't dream about going to any particular resort. But, I do dream about going heli-boarding.

I want to do the one-week heli-boarding trip with that outfit in Canada (CMH?). Does that count as a resort? Endless powder and first-class accommodations.

About the only minus I've heard is getting stuck with a group that doesn't like steep runs.

For a lift serviced resort, I'd want to go to Zinal, Switzerland. That's where the ExtremeCarving duo have done some of their movies. Wide-open, steep runs, perfect grooming and no trees on the sides of the groomed (just in case you lose an edge).

GdBoyTyler

I'd like to try Beaver Creek for the grooming that several people mentioned after SES 2003.

Definitely some heliboarding in Alaska, although I'd be on softies for that.

Big Sky during a heavy snow year, for the low skier density.

Sun Valley on a weekday, for the groomers.

SES, maybe next year I'll finally make it :)

Places I've been to and want to go back again:

Squaw Valley after a big dump

Kirkwood especially during the spring

I like to combine snowboarding with visiting interesting new countries. The US is certainly interesting, but I've been there before, so...

<ol>

<li><p><a href="http://www.himachal.com/">Heli-boarding in India</a></p><p>I've never been heliboarding, and never been to India, so it seems like combining the two would be great. It's the Himalayas - what could be better than that!</p></li>

<li><p><a href="http://www.goski.com/rira/dizin.htm">Dizin, Iran</a></p><p>The story is that this place gets fresh powder every night and is sunny every day. It's above the treeline, so there's easy-access powder everywhere. And best of all, it's in Iran.</p></li>

<li><p><a href="http://www.goski.com/rind/gulmarg.htm">Gulmarg, India</a></p><p>The best resort in India (Kashmir). It sounds like a lovely place but is unfortunately located in the disputed area of Kashmir, and I think has been closed for a couple of years because of Pakistani-Indian tensions. As Go-ski puts it:

<em>"The only real drawback is the possibility of being kidnapped and executed by Kashmiri separatists."</em></p></li>

<li><p><a href="http://www.goski.com/rjpn/niseko.htm">Niseko, Japan</a></p><p>Resort-powder capital of the world. Uncrowded, and has a fantastic system of night lights that are strong enough for you to venture off into the trees at night.</p></li>

</ol>

I've been to Whistler, Blackcomb, and a couple places at Tahoe, and IMO the groomed steeps at Northstar were cooler than anything at Blackcomb (which IMO is much more fun that Whistler - mostly just because it's generally steeper).

I'd love to get back to Northstar. Some of the pics of seen of the Swiss Alps make me want go there, too.

Have any of you been to Mt. Bachelor in Bend, Oregon? It's the best I've seen so far, and I've been to a lot of the Tahoe Resorts. It's big, with fast lifts and dry snow, and a lot of runs with just the right pitch and width.

If I had more time I'd be up there.

I want to go to Aspen, Snowmass and Buttermilk, because of the carving videos I've seen that were shot there.

Austria. Drove through that town on a motorcycle tour 3 summers ago. It made me <i>jones</i> to snowboard. The whole country is oozing with the juices of ski life. Each little town you go through has at least one chairlift, kind of like how we have baseball diamonds and soccer fields. It's no wonder Austrians kick ass at snow sports.

-Jack

I've been there many times and the main attractor is size - both in amount of terrain and vertical. The big problem though is lack of elevation and the accompanying weather problems. I'd say that more than half the times I have been there, I've ridden or skied in the rain.

My vote goes to the BC backcountry accessible only by hiking or helicopter. I've never done it which is why I want to.