Note to New Members ×

The next step… (beginner help)

Corey

You really need to find someone to ride with that is a few steps ahead of you in technique. You will be amased what you can get out of chasing someone for a day.

As far as the heelside thing goes they will come in small batches. As they come be aware of where your Front hand and back knee are when you do lock one in.

Its not as complicated as all this cross under over stuff. You will know when you do it.

One of the biggest mistakes I see are people that do "the wave" with that back hand. sticking it out to the side but never geting it in front of your trailing hip. I used to crack on one of my Room mates at the ski house for the wave. I would say what the hell is that hand doing out there.

Remember that back hand has to get all the way over to your front knee. Even try to put your back elbow on your front knee. You wont want to ride like that, its an excersize to show alignment. Its all about aligning all your weight over the heelside edge. When you get that back arm over the fron knee you start to align the top of your body over the edge. then bring that back knee and bang you have the Power. You can try taking your back arm and bringing it to your front knee while you sit and read this. See what you feel and look down at your hip to see how you align things.

And remember Your body follows your head so LOOK where you want to end up, Dont look down the hill if you are trying to go across.

www.evilsports.com

Originally posted by Coldrider

Is there some debate among instructors, freeriders, and racers as to what is good technique?

No, they are all in complete and total agreement. Snowboarding technique is a solved problem - the only thing left to discuss is the graphics on our topsheets, and whether fluoro will make a comeback.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Coldrider

Not the photo. That looks good to me. I was asking about the video link. That also looks good to me.

Is there some debate among instructors, freeriders, and racers as to what is good technique?

Oh, in that video. Well, beyond a certain ability level there is no right and wrong, just what works for you and makes you happy (or makes you the fastest if you're racing). Clearly the guy in the video is an expert carver, as evidenced by his other videos. My problem with that video is that a newbie trying to emulate that <i>style</i> will most likely learn some bad habits, like rotating unnecessarily at the waist, and waving their hands around. Rotating at the waist also tends to lead to bending at the waist. Also, they intend newbies to learn from that video. I elaborated on this in a previous post in this thread.

-Jack

• 3 weeks later...

I'm digging this thread up to say a huge 'thank you!' to all the people that contributed.

I had a wonderful day on the hill today digging some trenches thanks to the great advice given. Especially effective was trying to put my rear shoulder on my front knee on heelside carves. Wow, did that ever do the trick for me! :D Now my heelside is stronger than my toeside. I dragged a hip on the heelside a few times, not quite able to get that low on a toeside yet...

Plus, I ditched the crappy Burton boots and got some Raichle SB123's from the Bomber classifieds. Thanks Terrence! It was like a whole different sport, one without foot/leg pain!

All in all, one of the best days I've had on a snowboard for a long time! Bomber Online and it's contributors rock!