Note to New Members ×

Mistral's - to buy or not to buy....

Guest The Waterboy

Guest The Waterboy

Have been trying to buy a decent board on BOL in time for my arrival in Fernie Canada on 28th December.

Had a Volkl RT 168 lined up with a guy in New Hampshire. Sent the money to him, but when he went to mail it to Fernie, Fed-Ex office told him it would cost $125 for them to ship it (he'd originally estimated $25 shipping) and he couldn't find the UPS office to see if they offered a better rate.

I made some calls and found a shop in Calgary (where I'll be landing en route to Fernie) which has some Mistrals in stock (approximately 6 years old).

Anyone know if the Mistrals are any good?

Cheers,

Alastair.

Have been trying to buy a decent board on BOL in time for my arrival in Fernie Canada on 28th December.

Had a Volkl RT 168 lined up with a guy in New Hampshire. Sent the money to him, but when he went to mail it to Fernie, Fed-Ex office told him it would cost $125 for them to ship it (he'd originally estimated $25 shipping) and he couldn't find the UPS office to see if they offered a better rate.

I made some calls and found a shop in Calgary (where I'll be landing en route to Fernie) which has some Mistrals in stock (approximately 6 years old).

Anyone know if the Mistrals are any good?

Cheers,

Alastair.

While they are not cheap, Prior boards are made in BC and readily available in the Calgary/Banff area (which is where I'm assuming you'll be flying into). I'll bet Chris Prior could have a board ready for you in your hotel in Fernie. You might even want to check to see if he'll send you a demo. I noticed his demo schedule puts him in the interior of BC although not quite in Fernie just a few days ahead of you.

www.priorsnowboards.com

I had a 167 and still have my 173 with the F.I.R.E. dampening system. great board. quiet under foot, good hold and response. I would say get it if the price was right. my decks were 300 bills 6 years ago.

+1 Had the same boards and still use the 173 as my rock/early season board.

Damp, maybe 14-15m sidecut, cap construction.

Jim

The "Sonic" came in a 167 and a 174. Waist was about 19 and SCR was 13 and 14 (I think). I think the came in Yellow one year and Black in another. They used "F.I.R.E" dampening, but I can't remember what FIRE stood for.

If the price is right, it would be a good board. Just be careful they aren't older Mistrals which were nearly all asyms.

Guest The Waterboy

Checked out HardBooter board reviews, BOL Board Reviews and BOL Archived Board Reviews, but came up with nada for Mistral's.

Was watching the GS footage from the '98 Olympics last night to get myself fired up for my trip, and if memory serves me correctly, the French girls were riding Mistrals. One of them would have won by a mile, but crashed out on the final gate, while another went on to win the gold. Hmmm....

Not really looking for a race-board; more of a free-carver.

The plan right now is to get something for the trip, order a Coiler in early January and hopefully pick it up in time for the '07 SES!

Had been checking out the Prior and Donek sites over the last few weeks as they rated pretty highly in the reviews.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys:

- Bob: will give USPS a call to check the rates and if they're reasonable I'll contact the New Hampshire guy to give him the option of sending the board after all.

- skategoat: will look into a demo on Prior as well as any other demo-days that may be happening, but the aim right now is to buy one, dial it in, ride it hard and have plenty of feedback for Bruce when I order the Coiler.

- Helmut: tell me about this F.I.R.E. dampening system? Currently I'm riding TD2's with the soft elastomers - would this be soft enough?

they are still around as part of boards and more (for windsurfing anyway).

For some reason, they moved all the focus to F2 and Fanatic in windsurfing, so now Mistral only does freeride stuff and their top racer guy Micah Buzianis went to one of the other b&m companies.

So...Mistral I think they were pretty much finishde once their piece of obsolete plastic longboard was chucked out of the olympics for windsurfing... not sure if the brand has any kudos to do other sports anymore....

Even though they are in the some parent company, the other 32 B&m brands do seem to compete against eachother; e.g. both have their own formula boards (which is the premier windsurfing race series now) and the designs are wildly different.

I haven't seen snowboard gear from them for a while, but like in windsurfing, they don't make it themselves, they just design it and get someone else to make it AFAIK....

Guest toddflyingdog

Never rode the yellow board but can remember getting beaten by them!

The late 90's Mistrals kicked ass. Had their Randy Walter's Pro model all-mountain board and was very sad when I had worn it out. And then in 97? they were no longer dealing snowboard product in the US. :AR15firin

Maybe 95% of the high end boards are now made in thailand in a huge factory that produces for everyone... i think factory is own by Cobra, a german company that use to produce speed and tandem windsurf boards in early 90's.

N.

Hey Nils...

Actually, it is a Thai company (majority owned by Thais 51% as required by law) and yep, they make most of the boards. I think only a few small players in USA, garage custom operations and AHD possibly Bic have any capacity other than cobra. Mistral make their boards there for sure.

Actually, I suspect that the German guys provide much of the technology and do all the work; all the windsurfing company people here seem to complain nonstop about 'zee germans' at Cobra so that probably means they are the ones running things at the moment....

They also make

- snoboarding bindings for soft boot

- kite boards

- a few car parts

So if anyone wants to set up a soft binding company, then I will talk to the cobra guys for you, since they are about 30 minutes from here :-)

• 15 years later...
  • 1 year later...