Note to New Members ×

Thoughts on the Nidecker Custom GS 170

queequeg

I am really thinking of just throwing caution to the wind and buying all new equipment, and have been thinking hard about buying either:

Nidecker Custom GS 170

Or

Volkl RT 173

They both have relatively similar SCR with the Nidecker being a tiny bit shorter than the Volkl has about 3" more effective edge. The Volkl seems to have a reputation for being very stable at high speeds, and Volkl is a name that I recognize as quality. I have never ridden a Nidecker but they seem to have been around for as long as I can remember. The Nidecker seems to have a short, low-profile nose which Is not unlike the nose on my Kildy.

Quality of build is important here, because I rarely buy a new board, it has to last.

I will almost definitely be outfitting these with a pair of TD 2s and am thinking about getting a pair of Head Stratus Pros to put my feet in.

One other question - convenience factor aside, what is the advantage or disadvantage of the Step in VS standard bail bindings. Will the step-in be as tight a fit as a standard bail bindings? Is it just personal prefs? If all things are equal, step-ins seem like a cool convenience ... I hate doing up my bindings at the top.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

I've been riding a Nidecker for a looooong time and I realy love it! I have never seen a board that's made to last so long and remain top quality after all these years!

I've never tried a Voelkl but I guess they're top quality, too.

So I can't help you make a decision, but if you go with a Nidecker, you won't go wrong.

And step-ins are even stiffer than standard bindings!

I've been leaning towards the Nidecker, though I don't know why. I think it's cuz I like the noze?

how stiff is this board? I weigh 175 and ride relatively fast.

I've been riding a Nidecker for a looooong time and I realy love it! I have never seen a board that's made to last so long and remain top quality after all these years!

I've never tried a Voelkl but I guess they're top quality, too.

So I can't help you make a decision, but if you go with a Nidecker, you won't go wrong.

And step-ins are even stiffer than standard bindings!

with so many fascinating boards out there, its hard to pick one. but you have to realize that both nidecker and volkl are solid companies, and odds are the instant you get one under your feet, either one, you will dig it and have fun.

freedom of choice is often a hindrance!