Note to New Members ×

First day on a Tanker200

Guest thomas_m

Guest thomas_m

Sort of OT but I know there's a few Tanker addicts here. Here's my mini review from my first experience with the Tanker. Awesome board but not for me and the places I ride.

This is a 200cm longboard, meaning that it has a normal snowboard shape, just really long... It's not a pintail, swallowtail or other powder specific shape. Specs from the maker are here: http://www.rad-air.com/

In general, it's 200cm long with a 157.5cm effective edge and an 11M sidecut. It's seems stiff for such a long board. Mine is a few years old but had never been ridden before today. I got a very good deal on it as NOS from an acquaintance down in Portland. The top is really beautiful, they painted the glass in white, then put a clear topsheet over it. It gives it cool depth like you can see into the board.

I rode it for the first time today in the knee-high powder at SnoqWest. The first run was a lot of work 'cause I was trying to ride it like my normal boards. I quickly found out that you can't ride this thing slow. There's just too much board for snow to collect and act like an anchor. It also likes to be ridden flat, not off your back leg like you'd normally ride in pow.

2nd run I just pointed it at the top and built up some speed. What a change! It was like flying - the board had so much float, just tilt the edge a little bit and you go into a big radius sweeper without loosing much speed at all. Flick back the other way and you are throwing a roostertail of pow on the finish of your roundhouse cutback...

Third run, I just pointed it the whole way. The board is rock solid, just flew over the increasing ruts created by people doing their best imitations of snowplows. Fourth and fifth, more high speed sweepers, this damn hill is so short a run takes about 30sec, but it was a fun 30sec. On the one groomed section the long edge held like a mofo. I bet it'd be very easy to rail some carves on this thing.

All in all, it's a helluva board. However, it seems more suited to big powder bowls above the treeline than to what we have at the places I ride in Washington State. I'm sure a good rider could whip all 200cm of this thing through the trees and steeps but I'm not a very good rider...

So - I give it two thumbs up but will still be putting it up on eBay this weekend to pay for a more agile pintail.

T.

Hi Thomas! I'm glad you got to finally ride your Tanker! Your review is very accurate. Much better snow this year, huh? I've rode my older one twice this year so far. And it always stands up as my favorite board to ride when the snow is soft and deeper. I hope you don't sell it too soon because the more it gets ridden the more you'll love it. And actually, its not that much longer than a 175. But that little bit of size sure helps when you need it. I rode Mt. Hood Ski Bowl today. They received 21'' in 24 hrs. It was the gun to have. Thanks again for the review. Hope to ride with you again soon.

Ed

Thomas, glad to hear that you had a chance to ride one and your review is pretty close to spot on for most riders who have ridden the 2m Tanker. I sent you an e-mail. Hopefully I will get a chance to go and ride with more of you this season. Already have had six days at baker on my 05-06 tanker 2m and 2 days in whistler/blackcomb. I am away for work at the moment but will be hitting the mountains again in a couple weeks so will look for more of you out there. Pray for snow!

cheers.

Hey Thomas,

I've looked at allboardsports.com, dupraz-ch.com, blue-tomato, and I can't find any retail pricing. What did the Dupraz cost you (if you don't mind me asking)? Did you get the D1 or the D2? Is the tail turned up shovel-like? Finally, why is it referred to as a 'pintail' when it is clearly a roundtail?

Thanks,

Mark