Note to New Members ×

Sportube series 2 or series 3?

Guest astan100

Guest astan100

Hey guys,

Apparently there is a snowboarding Sporttube now.

http://www.sportube.com/pages/snowboards.html

The problem is it only goes to 183 cm.

I like the fact you can stick boots in there though...I doubt they'll fit in the Series 2 double ski one.

The double ski goes to 200 something. I'm like 6 feet tall, 175 or so...you think I'll ever need something bigger than a 183 board assumin I don't get into super hardcore racing and am bound to the northeast which has narrower trails?

The biggest problem with series 3 is that it'll be fully extended with your 183cm board in it. Once you've seen how the airlines treat your sportube, you'll know why that isn't a good idea. Imagine the tube with 30 or 40 lbs of gear in it being dropped accross another tube or hard bag. If it can be broken, they'll break it! Also, when traveling, keep your boots close to you. You can usually find another board but not another pair of boots.

The biggest problem with series 3 is that it'll be fully extended with your 183cm board in it. Once you've seen how the airlines treat your sportube, you'll know why that isn't a good idea. Imagine the tube with 30 or 40 lbs of gear in it being dropped accross another tube or hard bag. If it can be broken, they'll break it! Also, when traveling, keep your boots close to you. You can usually find another board but not another pair of boots.

You'll probably be a ble to fit a 177 at best in the Series 3 if you pad your boards tip/tail/edge in the SportTube which is exactly what I plan to do when I fly to SES. I have the Series 2 and if I take the bindings off, I can fit 3 alpine decks w/ enough cardboard padding for tip/tail/edge.

I have the 2 pair ski sportube and It holds up to 207 cm length board. Its wide enough for my Coiler am 21.5 waist but probably would go much wider than 23 cm. I can fit two boards with bindings no problem. Wont fit boots though. Kind of scratched my boards a little but I am sure I can wrap them to protect.

Guest Randy S.

I don't like to pack my boots. Last time I traveled by air for riding, I mounted my bindings to my boots and carried the whole assembly on board. That way I knew that if I arrived w/out luggage I could still ride. Same goes for my knee braces. I know I can always buy new clothes, rent most gear, etc., but boots and knee braces are too personal.

Love mine (#3). Traveled to Whistler with it twice and to SES already...

4 boards and 3 pairs of boots, plus bindings and other stuff packed in duffle bags… 92 lbs! total weight. :eek:

Sure, had to pay overweight… Other problem was, TSA opened the tube and had minor issues putting it back together.

Will use the tube again Tuesday flying to Aspen…

I think it’s a great way to pack lot’s of equipment pretty securely