Note to New Members ×

New Carver on the Block

Guest Speedy

Guest Speedy

Am out in Salem, Oregon, a couple hours away from Mt. Hood. Few years ago a good friend of mine got me into snowboarding and ever since, been in love with it. Just last week I was out at Banff Norquay and Lake Louise and just fell in love with carving. This same friend of mine referred me to this site and I've been browsing it the past few days. Now I REALLY want to get into carving.

I'm still having a bit of trouble understanding the hardboot setup. What exactly is a tongue anyway? Whats a good hardboot setup recommended for a starter like me? Which brand u recommend? I'm about a Mondo 28, and I weigh 150 lbs. I'm on kind of a tight budget for starters,. Am also on the lookout for a starter board, somewhere around 168 and a short sidecut radius. I see a few good possible selections from eBay and in Bomber classifieds. I'm willing to drop up to 200 for a starter board.

Are any of you competitors in this sport? I'm a very, very competitive person and would like to be open to the idea of competing.. that is if I'm confident that I can out race you. Okay okay there goes my ego.

Are there any print publications strictly on thye subject of carving? I looked at a few snowboard magazines and they're all about freestyle.. please, that ain't me.. I lost my gymnastic ability years ago when my equillibrium center got out of whack.

I've already read the Welcome Center and other articles (Well written, Jack! Got me droolin').. yet these articles can only tell me so much because its as if it's comin' from.. hmm, a quasi-human source.

Anyways, glad to be a newbie to this community... Anything helps as I'm open to ideas and suggestions and criticisms and pointers and freebies and lessons and whatever the hell else can be thrown my way.

Aloha and see ya 'round.

--Ben

damn.. 9 inches in Salem, most ever!

Tongues are those things at the front of the boot, the buckles go over them and to a large extent (in many boots) they control the rate of flex forward and aft. So softer tongues allow more flex, stiffer tongues less, all other things being equal. Not all boots have interchangeable tongues, so this is a consideration when shopping.

The best boot? The one that fits your foot comfortably. There's lots of choices, probably Raichle and UPS are the most popular.

There's lots of boards out there in your price range, I'm sure you'll get a few responses to your post. I'd go for a mid 160-s board for learning, with an 11 or 12 sidecut. Too deep a sidecut means you will be transitioning very quickly, too quickly to learn body position and so on. My thoughts anyway.

Speedy,

There is a good group of people in pdx/hood river that ride hardboots. If I were you, i would buy some rachlie sb series boots from ebay or on the classified adds here on BOL. I have had excellent luck buying off BOL. I have a Sims premium 167 with burton raceplates that I would sell or loan if you come up to Mt Hood. Also look at at Klug riding as they have had excellent prices on older burton stuff. What size are you (weight/Ht).... I have used to use skiboots on my boards, and if you already have a set, it is a good cheap way to start (it works fine no matter what anyone else says).

Jim

two Burton Alps for sale at low prices. They are great entry level carving boards and Burton bindings are readily available. Of course you should then establish a savings account for your Donek or Coiler which you'll need once you're fully hooked! Good luck.:D

Guest Speedy

Thank you guys for your generous replies and welcoming arms. I am patiently scouring the ads for the right board for the right price (I'm a picky shopper). Meanwhile I'll continue doing the norm drills with my 154 M3. I've noticed several different boards on eBay but didn't quite bite for any of them.. I like to be educated. Hopefully I'll get some runs in at Mt. Hood Meadows on Sunday.

In due time I'll get my own board and hopefully will meet up with LeeW at Vail once he gets his flabby ass up there.. shud be next week at the worst. YITBOS!

Thanks again guys!

Ben