• Serge Vitelli
    • Jose Fernandez
    • Chris Karol
    • Andy Coghlan
    • Mark Heingartner
    • Mike Olsen
    • PSR ;-)
    • Other (who?)

In November, 1986 I was skiing(hate to admit it) at Vail and I saw a snowboarder carving nice round complete turns. He was there for the Nastar pacesetter trials. I remember this registered with me because he was making a cleaner carved turn on his board than I could make on skis. That was my first time seeing a snowboarder carve. I'm sure that is late in snowboard history. During the 80s I lived at an area that did not allow boarding so I wasn't exposed to the early days of the sport.

here's why, from what I have read he was the first to shape boards that had a usable sidecut to carve a decent turn the problem is that you can carve on just about anything just not well and I am sure someone here is going to say something like I used to carve on my snurfer in '73 or a pair 230 cm straight skis with leather boots in '58 or something.

but for the modern concept carving the folks at Gnu early if not the first.

ohh man I have a feeling this thread is gonna be like the swoard vs. everything else thread

I think Dmitri Milovich was the first to put metal edges on a 'snowboard' in the early '70s. It was a prototype before he had started production of Wintersticks. Winterstick.org might be able to confirm this.

I remember an ad for Gnu snowboards in the first or second issue of International Snowboarder featuring a pic of Olson carving with those pink tongued Elfgen bindings.

Mark

Guest Tim Tuthill

Ask Frank!! He was on it before all of us. He and Terry English were with Tom Sims from the git go. I remember Terry telling me it was Serge Vitelli the French man that went so low, and thuse the Vitelli turn. My 2 cents worth anyway???

I don't know, and I doubt this is documented. But I wonder who was the first person to carve a snowboard consistently and teach the technique to others. What do you think? Or, who do you think was the first to popularize carving?

I often wonder that myself. All I know is, the first time I saw an amazing low g turn was during the days of Peter Bauer. I have an old burton video, I think dated back in 88 or 89, not sure. I do remember seeing other carvers doing the g turn during the early days at Stratton, but nothing like Peter.

That video shows the euro boyz ripping it up. My jaw dropped. :eek: At first I was anti-euro/hardboots. Not sure why :confused: , I guess I was just a kid that didn't understand back then. Ever since I saw that video, that is all I ever wanted to do. So, I have Peter and Burton to thank for. :eplus2:

I POINT TO JAKE BURTON FOR THE 95 Amp and the Torque 3 strap bindings that really made it possible and conceivable to cross over from skiing to snowboarding..i see so many carvers get started on the old coffee brown amps and 3 strap Torques........Jake still admits thats his favorite setup....of course hes off in marshmallow fat stuff anyu time he wants the copter to fly him to his private stash and charge it to the company....R and D. yayhoo! :biggthump

The first person to carve would be some cave man somewhere. Some where throught out history some one had to slid sideways down a hill on a peice of wood. Since the defination of a carve is when the tip and tail pass through the same point in the snow, technically going straight is carving. You carve getting on and off the lift, beginners must carve in order to do their first turns. Every edge change has a moment of a carve no matter how spastic or ugly it is.

For these reasons I suggest that the cave man was the first to carve.

Depends if we talk about beeing able to carve on a snowboard or carving a turn like we know it.

Hold and edge> Dimitrije Milovich, who was way ahead of the rest of the pack ( seeing pics from 1981 in the snowboard journal with jake doing a jump on a board that is like 7 years outdated by Milo's designs is always funny...Milo thought there would be no use for edges and riding the groomed so he removed the edges in around 1976...His movie April's footage from 1977 season is really the thing everyone should watch to see with eyes how ahead he was ( 1977 Jake was building snurfer like boards with ropes, while Milo was jumping cornice and surfing the snow on his swallowtail )

Carve a turn: I'd say without hesitation Serge Dupraz, who invented the Hot One sixty in 1985, and then Serge Vitelli used the board then the Hot Revolution that won so many races in 1987.. Serge told me he went with the Hot team to the US leg of the world tour in 1987 ( ? to be verified) and that the Hot team clearly swept everyone around with their carve, by such a huge margin that the US judges decided that something was not clear etc etc.. Finally they didn't win the races on green carpet..( legends have to be verified if someone has still mags from the time they are welcome)..Jean and Peter came the next seasons with the Safari's and later the PJ. At that time Jean was the world champ for 2-3 seasons..

Meanwhile the US created Freestyle and the pipes :)

N.

some info from Serge Dupraz site:

http://06.dupraz-ch.com/index.php?topgroupid=3&groupid=45

he is going to display soon loads of pics from the fluo years :)

I have to second that vote for Tom Sims. Tom Sims was one of the guys that helped get the Mt Baker Legendary Banked Slalom going. He even set the course. The turns were set at where he turned. Maybe a little bit of a carving turn too. I'd recommend the snowboard dvd Platinum to any and all fans of the Mt Baker Banked Slalom. It's really interesting to see where this sport has gone. And it's always great to see Mt Baker!