Note to New Members ×

Suggested Sizes

Guest Salomon Orangge

Guest Salomon Orangge

You're all going to have to help me out a bit since I've not hopped on my carver in about 6 seasons.

I'm wanting to get back in the saddle. I used to ride a Rossignol VAS every day... aggressively. But situations with friends and instructing at a local ski resort took over, and eventually I shelved my carving board and picked up a Salomon DT52WW. The Salomon is a beautiful board, and I have come to know that I can carve that thing meaner than alot of others around, and being a Freestyle TT (twin tip), it is very forgiving for steeps, bumps, glades, etc.

Anyway... I ended up going to Stratton last year and decided to bring the old carving board along. Broke out my old Burton MGXs, strapped in, and went tearing off. It was like riding a bike. I didnt forget anything, and was back up to speed by the end of my second run.

So here's the problem. The board is short. Really short. The Rossignol I had been tearing around on is a 156, and while it's quick to turn because of its short size, it doesnt have the edge hold that i'm really wanting to really tear out the euros and carve deep and hard. I can get down on the 156, but it really doesnt feel as stable as i'd like.

Information about myself:

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 160lbs.

Exp: 17 years riding Freecarve and Freeride with relatively short boards.

I'm feeling that I should go bigger. I was looking at a really beautiful 167 Volkl Renn Tiger on Ebay that ultimately I lost out on in bids at the last minute (damn the last second snipers!). Wanted to see what you all thought about a 167, or even a 173 if I could find one available. I'm not worried about speed... I live for it... I'm more worried about my ability to crank the board over to really get the carvability out of the board were I to get one.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Salomon Orangge

Dont necessarily like short... just what i'm used to riding thusfar. Really what I want is some suggestions on is what potentially I could get away with for my size and weight, like the 170 you mentioned. Like I said... i'm looking to really crank on this board, but dont want to buy something that wont perform for its size.

Guest Randy S.

Get a Donek Freecarve 171. I have to say its probably the best all-around board I've ever ridden. Maybe find a used one (but don't bid against me on eBay or I'll snipe you :AR15firin ). :D

The freecarve is flexy enough to be forgiving and work on the ice you'll sometimes encounter on the ice coast. Plus it can handle speed with no problems.

The Volkl you were looking at is also a great board. I have one that I use for slalom races, but have also carved it hard and fast. And mine's only a 163 - for a short board it is surprisingly stable. The Donek is the board I always go back to though.

Randy

Guest Salomon Orangge

/snip

Get a Donek Freecarve 171. I have to say its probably the best all-around board I've ever ridden. Maybe find a used one (but don't bid against me on eBay or I'll snipe you :AR15firin ). :D

/snip

Randy

Lol. I actually saw one on ebay last night that I was seriously considering bidding on, but it has I believe 4 or 5 days left on it. You prolly know the one i'm talking about... the lizard freecarve 171. :eplus2:

I'm actually familiar with Donek. When my father and I were instructing, my father got a good deal on a 152 Donek FS. Ugliest thing you've ever seen. Big red plaid board, but aside from that, the thing rode sweet for what it was. Only drawback besides the terrible graphic was the overly soft topsheet. Thing chipped like crazy at the slightest poke.

the 170 is one hell of a board for your weight

if you ride where it can get icey the madd will truely shine

the 158 is a crazy board as well if you wanna whip some crazy small turns.

A smallish prior WCR or a donek FC are what I would recomend if I had never ridden a madd though.

Guest Randy S.
Lol. I actually saw one on ebay last night that I was seriously considering bidding on, but it has I believe 4 or 5 days left on it. You prolly know the one i'm talking about... the lizard freecarve 171. :eplus2:

I'm actually familiar with Donek. When my father and I were instructing, my father got a good deal on a 152 Donek FS. Ugliest thing you've ever seen. Big red plaid board, but aside from that, the thing rode sweet for what it was. Only drawback besides the terrible graphic was the overly soft topsheet. Thing chipped like crazy at the slightest poke.

The lizard one was the one I was thinking of. I thought it might make a good replacement for mine.

Donek had that problem with topsheets a long time ago. Long since fixed and their boards are top quality all the way around now. IMO better quality control and customer service than MADD, but I've never owned a Madd, so I can't speak from experience.

Donek had that problem with topsheets a long time ago. Long since fixed and their boards are top quality all the way around now. IMO better quality control and customer service than MADD, but I've never owned a Madd, so I can't speak from experience.

My first Madd was a defect last year (CF wing delam), Shaggy went out of his way to get me a quick replacement, I had no problems with their level of customer service. But yeah, I felt quality control was somewhat lacking... something I've never had problems with at Donek. (I have gotten a blem board from Donek, but I was notified before the board was shipped, and offered the chance to receive it, inspect it, and either return it for a replacement or accept it at a discount... which worked quite well for me!)

huge vote for prior. damp and stable. not the snappiest most aggressive board out there, but solid ride

they have used/demo boards on their site

http://www.priorsnowboards.com/used_boards_list.php?BSTY_ID=10

unfortunately there arent any deals right now. last year there were.

the length...well...Ive seen dudes your size ride REALLY big boards, but it always looked like they were making up for something. I see no point.

max 180 ish. a 180 with a 13m sidecut...plenty agile

Guest Salomon Orangge

Yeah... I have that one bookmarked actually. Couldnt believe the price including nice bindings. I've no doubt it will skyrocket in price toward the end however.

Yeah... I have that one bookmarked actually. Couldnt believe the price including nice bindings. I've no doubt it will skyrocket in price toward the end however.

you never know, man. most people dont know alpine gear, and the ones that go to ebay from bomber are penny pinchers, so it might not jump that much!

seems like youd probably have a ton of fun on that board!

Guest Salomon Orangge
you never know, man. most people dont know alpine gear, and the ones that go to ebay from bomber are penny pinchers, so it might not jump that much!

seems like youd probably have a ton of fun on that board!

We'll see. I actually have people mailing me out the ying yang on boards for sale right now, so i'm kind of flooded with choices. Have to admit that it was a good idea for me to start posting here with questions and needs. Seems like you all are on the ball and willing to help.

Just have to decide what exactly I want now out of all the information that has been sent to me, and then decide on bindings.

personally i like the renntiger (i jumped to a 173 from a 157 burton alp). it definitely likes having room, but it can be cranked into tight slalomy turns (fun fun fun). it's more stable than the madd 170 (with the f2 flex or whatever) at speed, but does not boast as much of a grip on ice (is pretty good in that area as well). a RT would be a good way to go if you manage to find a good deal on one. i have found the madd to have more playability than the RT though. it's my main board this season and i am pumped (spent the weekend on it in bumps, i love it). definitely more manageable over a broad spectrum of riding conditions than the RT (which i still love).

i haven't run a side by side comparison of torsional flex (which is important to me) yet, but yeah. don't fear a 170 at your size. if the area you ride at is at all crazy busy, then that will be a peachy length.

happy boarding!!

Salomon Orange: I have a thoroughly decambered Volkl 163 if you are interested in trying it out sometime at Stratton or Okemo. A friend of mine has an identical board that still has lots of pop/camber in it, and I'm sure I can convince him to let you try that too.

Let me know if you want to try it out sometime.