Note to New Members ×

Setting up TD2 on F2 SL 166

Guest ob13

Hi

I am struggling to properly setup my TD2s (Intec 3 degrees back disk)

After a few trials I decided to go for 50cm (19,65inches) stance width. However I am unsure about centering them properly (setback) as there are no points indicating the center of the board or effective edges.

The F2 site says the edge are 1470mm so I guessed the center of them on the board.

I then also noted the center of the board itself.

It looks like the center of the edges are 0,5cm front of the center of the board. Does that sound normal?

Then when I mount the center disk of the TD2 for 50cm stance I have to use the 4 holes the most further appart on the disk.

I then end up with a center point between the 2 bindings that sits 1,5 cm (about half an inch) backward from the center of the edges or 1cm backward from the center of the board.

Does that sound correct? I remember reading that setbacks are usually more like an inch or more?

I also remember reading people mentionning that they are centered on the board but does that mean centered on the edges or the board lenght?

If I wanted to center the bindings on the edges, it means I would need to move them frontward half an inch, past the center of the board itself... and that sounds strange to me!

:confused:

Thanks!

every board is different and I suggest riding it in a few different posistions, for me I usually end up mounting the bindings up front after trail and error, it makes the board feel a little more responsive most of the time

just go out, ride and bring your 5 mil allen wrench, you will have it figured out by the end of the day.

Wow, that rhymed.....anyways, I think getting the heel/toe overhang right is the first step too. After you've determined that than I would concern myself with your stance width and being centered over the running length of the board. I'm no expert, but I find that my different boards (i.e. my Silberpfiel vs. my Burner) require different stances based on the boards ride characteristics and are not always dictated by being centered over the running length of the board itself. Experiment as bobdea said and don't be afraid to waste a day fooling with different set-ups, one day spent dialing in your set-up could mean a whole season of fun and comfort at little or no cost. Let us know how that SL works, I've been eyeballing one to go with my Silberpfiel but I don't know anyone that's ridden one to get feedback,

Good luck,

Paul

Thanks for the good advices there.

My question relates more to being centered over the running lenght of the board. I read that more and more riders are centered whereas most articles recomend to apply some setback .(http://www.alpinecarving.com/binding_setup.html for eg.)

In my case, right now, I have an inch of setback but I will start testing this in a couple of weeks and I will let you know how the SL goes too!

If you are centered on the inserts, probably you are riding the setback the manufacturer had in mind when he designed the board. I think that is what you are doing by using the outermost set of inserts. You can go forward from there if you feel the need to experiment, but get too far forward and the nose will want to auger in on you, so please be careful as you get closer to the center of the effective edge. Most people will ride about one inch of setback, more on longer boards, certainly a lot more on a split tail of any size. With a flat front binding and 3 degrees on the back you may want to consider starting out a bit further back than the manufacturer suggests, as your stance puts more weight on the front of the board than someone that is flat front and back, or toe and heel lift.The best advice is to try it, then change it and see how it feels.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, that rhymed.....anyways, I think getting the heel/toe overhang right is the first step too. After you've determined that than I would concern myself with your stance width and being centered over the running length of the board. I'm no expert, but I find that my different boards (i.e. my Silberpfiel vs. my Burner) require different stances based on the boards ride characteristics and are not always dictated by being centered over the running length of the board itself. Experiment as bobdea said and don't be afraid to waste a day fooling with different set-ups, one day spent dialing in your set-up could mean a whole season of fun and comfort at little or no cost. Let us know how that SL works, I've been eyeballing one to go with my Silberpfiel but I don't know anyone that's ridden one to get feedback,

Good luck,

Paul

I had the chance to go riding for a couple of days the SL 166 with the following settings: TD2 medium ring, 62/58 degrees, 50cm stance and the default 1 inch setback. First of all, I loved the board, great fun to ride. It really carves hard. Its really easy to turn it as it is a fairly short board and you can then carve it even on steep sections and you can also go down fresh snow or moguls without looking bad at all. It is also stiff so it fits my weight and size (6' and 195lbs). I think if you are lighter you will need to turn to a smaller SL but it might then be a bit small on icy conditions and also a bit too short of a radius.

Regarding my settings, it was near perfect! I will just reduce the angles next week when I go back riding to gain more power on the toe side.

Finally, the TD2 (intec) are really great, I used to have basic bindings and they use to bend or flex too much for my weight and style. With the TD2 I feel like conducting the board where I want.

The overall stiffness obviously leads to more muscles pain on the back leg but that was maybe because it was my first runs of the year :)