Note to New Members ×

Coiler vs Kessler or Virus

groovastic

F2 used to make the best boards around, in my mind, this was pre-'00. Then their main board builder left and their board went down-hill fast. Their new board are OK, but not as good as their old one. While Bruces boards are getting better every year. Plus you don't have a custom option with F2's as you do with others like Tomahawk, Coiler, Donek, etc.

since in this part of Europe or maybe world most boards are shorter than mine (Nideckers, F2s, Oxygens...) I would say that I am a pretty fast carver considering other guys on the mountain.

"And what I can't get from my Coiler is that I can't push it too hard because it was not made for it."

and I do have SL and GS board, but what I was hoping was possible is to get a "fast" wide turns board that could cope with crowded hills as well.

thanks

Your 175 is very small compared to most "world" boards as you say. Just becuase the rest of the guys at your local hill aren't riding good stuff does not mean you should not as well!

What size board is your GS? What size is your SL?

More important is what radius are you looking for.

I have small Sl boards that I can push to the limits and big SG boards that feel as stable as the floor under my feet. At your weight there are a lot of options. The board size really does nothing for how it handles in a crowd that is all rider input. If you have the skills you can work a 210 through the tightest crowds, Sounds like you need to find a good shape and radius then think about what board builder you would like to work with. If you are still riding off the shelf boards look for a length and radius that you will like.

F2 has sick boards

Virus as well

Madds are sick

Kesslers are a bunch of fun but can be a bit tricky to ride.

There are tons of customs that can be made to order.

Prior

Donek

Coiler

So get a 190+ SG board and learn to ride it in crowds that would be "fast and fun"!

Or tell me what the radius is on all the boards you own, what type of snow you ride most of the time(firmness), how many meters of vert your hill has and how many days a year you ride and i'll give you some choices.

Lots of riders are just starting to ride good boards for the first time and are shocked to feel the difference, most pros have had these same boards under our feet for years and know the difference. A good stick is a good stick in any length, for most PGS courses the girls ride 172-180 and the men from 180-190 these are the average race board sizes for medium radius GS turns. Perhaps knowing the average size of current GS boards will aid in your choice.

The madd 180 is one of the best "short' long boards out there at only 182 in length it rides much longer. here is my reveiw perhaps it will help. You can find a photo link at the bottom as well.Madd 180 reveiw

Billy

Your 175 is very small compared to most "world" boards as you say. Just becuase the rest of the guys at your local hill aren't riding good stuff does not mean you should not as well!

Billy

I meant most boards in my part of the world.

And I realy haven't seen many carvers with boards longer than 180. And why do you say that only longer boards are "good stuff"?

I mean, until I got my Coiler, the longest board I rode was some 172 Burton (I didn't like it at all). And Bruce told me that once I try longer board I'd never go back to shorter ones, and that's true. But I've never tried anything longer than Coiler 175 and Goltes 175.

I mean, when I look at Virus' site, there are not many boards longer than 180. And we all know they are a good company.

In fact, all I wanted to ask you is why do you (I mean mostly you guys from America) prefere 200+ boards? Do you have so many "perfectly prepared" pistes where you can ride them?

And please explain me why would some 210 Donek be better than 175 Virus and what is it better for besides holding the edge?

Thanks

P.S. Radius on my Coiler RC 175 is 12.2 m

And sorry for my bad english

This is more about stability at speed, and longer edge engagement will generally give you that, as long as the sidecut is not too deep. I liked Oxygen's idea of longer sidecuts with softer flexes (185 with 15m sidecut) because the board cruises effortlessly, and still turns pretty tight if you lean on the nose. With a 12m sidecut Coiler, you are not going to get a lot of speed without things getting squirrely.

As far as Virus, my Terminator at 165 has more edge hold than some 185's I've used. Virus boards stay under 180 so that you can get them into the gondola. ;)

What are you saving your money for ? retirement :smashfrea

Much that has been posted is right on.. Madds are quick precise go through ice like butter.. on the other hand my Coiler is damp , vibration free , smooth as silk,

The Virus,,well it has Lukas race stock in it, a bit in the too stiff side.. feels like it just wants to be hammered on it and nothing else.. it feels like it only comfortable in packed packed powder, but no ice.. ITs a Phantom 183,, which for some reason they don't make up to that length anymore.. Maybe they do.. but not advertised.. Its not a narrow Cyborg..so it is rideable in various conditions..

In my mind.. the Virus and the Kesslers are WAAAAy over priced...

Same thing can be had for less.. Coiler.. 5 year waiting list! Can't wait for my Infiltrator 161 with a GS sidecut.. should be interesting!

Donek ,, reliable and bullet proof..

Madd,, well its just worth it...! get one!! I AGREE the 182 would be the bomb! but heck get all four and your set..BX168(a carving machine as well), 158, 170, 182

Ps.. any one got pictures and pricing of Tomahawk,, and can you get one into the States?

Always looking to increase the quiver!

Right Said Shred

post-186-141842208902_thumb.jpg

post-186-141842208905_thumb.jpg

Groovastic,

You've asked a question that can polarize the forum. There does seem to be a bias towards very long, very stiff boards with a high side-cut radius number. And yes, there are a lot of perfectly groomed pistes in America where you can let a long board go very fast. One question is: Are these long boards being used on mainly flatter intermediate and beginner pistes? You will have to ask this question to those advocating the long boards.

My favorite all time board is a 180 with an 11m side-cut. That board is stable yet I can turn it easily. I enjoy making complete turns more than pointing a board down the hill so I enjoy smaller side cut radius. I also enjoy steeper runs. I have a shorter board, 158 and an intermediate board, 168 and a longer board, 180. I enjoy them equally and make different size turns depending on which one I am riding. I consider all my boards to be "good stuff."

For everyday riding, I feel a 200+ cm board is too long. Most of the guys that have these boards only take them out when the crowds are small and the conditions are good. Or to make up for small personal anatamy.

For pick the turn shape you feel confortable with, find a board built around that radius, remember flex is most important. With proper technique an average size guy should be able to bend a 180 with a 15 meter radius through the crowds most days.

Then when it's super crowded bring out the SL board, or the board you currently own that is built for less agressive riding.