Note to New Members ×

Coiler vs Kessler or Virus

groovastic

If you don't race, well that would eliminate the Kessler's. Bruce makes some very good boards for "crazy carving", but you'll have to put in an order and wait. I've never ridden a virus, the ones I've seen have been way too narrow for what I prefer, so I've had no interest.

Be more specific with what you want to do with the boards and your weight and realistic riding ability.

If you don't race, well that would eliminate the Kessler's.

Why?

I know some guys using their Kesslers for free carving. This should not be a ptoblem at all, as these boards are custom made as well as the others mentioned. I had some email-exchange with hansjürg (kessler), and he's sure, that he would be able to build the perfecr weapon for a crazy carver. I have to add, that I do not own a Kessler, which is to be honest causen mainly by the price ;)

skywalker

Skywalker, in my opinoin, the Kesslers strengths are purpose built PGS boards, they are by far the weapon of choice is a PGS race course. But they don't do the same type of turn that most freecarvers enjoy. Also they are very fragile, it's only Nov. and I've SEEN two snap and know a three others that have snapped this season alone. I've broken many boards and have seen many boards break, but I've never encountered boards that completely snap like the Kesslers. Not a worthwhile investment for a freecarver, for a PGS racers that a different story.

I'm just a crazy carver :cool:

I don't undertand this statement really in order to comment better...

What exactly makes you a "crazy carver"?

Do you like to lay it out like carzy, like crazy edge to edge transitions,

or crazy wide, narrow turns, or crazy fast turns?

I think this could help to get you better feedback to your question.

Ray

O.k., Phil.

I understood.

skywalker

Skywalker, in my opinoin, the Kesslers strengths are purpose built PGS boards, they are by far the weapon of choice is a PGS race course. But they don't do the same type of turn that most freecarvers enjoy. Also they are very fragile, it's only Nov. and I've SEEN two snap and know a three others that have snapped this season alone. I've broken many boards and have seen many boards break, but I've never encountered boards that completely snap like the Kesslers. Not a worthwhile investment for a freecarver, for a PGS racers that a different story.

Well, my main board is Coiler RaceCarve 175, customly modified. I'm 5'10'' high and weigh 168 lbs.

My style would be more like agressive carving wtih quick edge to edge transitions and mostly fast and wide turns. And what I can't get from my Coiler is that I can't push it too hard because it was not made for it.

But on the other hand, I would like to have a board that would be capable of making narrow turns as well as wide turns. And that's why I look at Virus with interest. As I got, they have multiple radii, and that would probably allow me to do both, wide and narrow turns. And besides that they are rather small and that would allow me to make quick edge to edge transitions, right?

Well, my main board is Coiler RaceCarve 175, customly modified. I'm 5'10'' high and weigh 168 lbs.

My style would be more like agressive carving wtih quick edge to edge transitions and mostly fast and wide turns. And what I can't get from my Coiler is that I can't push it too hard because it was not made for it.

But on the other hand, I would like to have a board that would be capable of making narrow turns as well as wide turns. And that's why I look at Virus with interest. As I got, they have multiple radii, and that would probably allow me to do both, wide and narrow turns. And besides that they are rather small and that would allow me to make quick edge to edge transitions, right?

What's this? What's the problem with this board that you can't push it too hard? Some explanation about this because Coilers are one of the best boards money can buy. I just got my RaceCarve 180 II but haven't tried it.

So some experiences would be appreciated.

Greets, Hans.

My style would be more like agressive carving wtih quick edge to edge transitions and mostly fast and wide turns. But on the other hand, I would like to have a board that would be capable of making narrow turns as well as wide turns. And that's why I look at Virus with interest. As I got, they have multiple radii, and that would probably allow me to do both, wide and narrow turns. And besides that they are rather small and that would allow me to make quick edge to edge transitions, right?

Yes, right!

Quick edge to edge, narrow and wide turns, plus very stable at hight speeds is what you can expect from Virus for sure!

I would look at a 175cm/17.1 Gladiator or Tanatalus, good combination of all the above. Select the materials you think meet your criteria... Best thing, contact Virus directly and tell them what you are looking for.

Ray

how fast can you really be going on a 175?

Great question, can someone answer this?

I would really like to know too

sounds like you need several boards and not just 1 board that does it all, because it is just is not out there.

Sure thing, if the budget allows, I would always recommend to own several as well...

Yes, right!

Quick edge to edge, narrow and wide turns, plus very stable at hight speeds is what you can expect from Virus for sure!

I would look at a 175cm/17.1 Gladiator or Tanatalus, good combination of all the above. Select the materials you think meet your criteria... Best thing, contact Virus directly and tell them what you are looking for.

Ray,

The more you guys talk about these Virus boards, the more I feel I need to try one. They really sound like one of the best freecarving boards by far. I hope I can try one of the demos you have at SES (if i make it this year). Or, maybe you can make it out to SNES? I'll contact via email regarding that :D

reminds me of what a Madd feels like, I want to get on a virus in the worst way but they have always been described much like as how I would describe a madd

a coiler compared to just about anything is not fair, a coiler is a damp quiet ride that makes the chatters a thing of the past and does what you want it to all the time.

the only reason I don't have a virus is the price, a full custom coiler is the price of other folks stock boards but just different, damp and easy to ride.

for $800 you could have a new madd and if you buy one soon a pair of bindings for the same price with it for $300 less than a virus.

What's this? What's the problem with this board that you can't push it too hard? Some explanation about this because Coilers are one of the best boards money can buy. I just got my RaceCarve 180 II but haven't tried it.

So some experiences would be appreciated.

Greets, Hans.

The thing is that I told Bruce to adjust the board's stiffnes for nonagressive riding. so pobably stiffnes and some other elements aren't made for agressive carving that I seem to prefere to just "cruising" in last two seasons.

I mean, it's not Buce's fault, it's mine!

plus how fast can you really be going on a 175?

sounds like you need several boards and not just 1 board that does it all, because it is just is not out there.

SL fast turn

GS fun turns

SG turns that make your 175 feel like a toy.

since in this part of Europe or maybe world most boards are shorter than mine (Nideckers, F2s, Oxygens...) I would say that I am a pretty fast carver considering other guys on the mountain.

and I do have SL and GS board, but what I was hoping was possible is to get a "fast" wide turns board that could cope with crowded hills as well

thanks