Note to New Members ×

Volkl or Nidecker?

Guest alxdim

Think I'll stick to hardboots afterall nobody convinced me that you can carve with softs.

Now considering buying the VOLKL Renntiger in 173 (178 would be a dream, but here in Quebec we don't have the slopes they are to narrow, each time I would initiate a turn at one end of the slope, I would have to end my curve in the trees at the other end...) or The Nidecker Custom GS in 170 (for the same reasons as above the 183 would be a dream).

Anyone as ridden both, anysuggestions?

Alx

Guest dragon fly jones

And it is a toss up. However a little more detail on you size weight riding style - what is the goal? Sick euro carves? The us method, the cash turns? Lay on some detail my friend and we may be able to steer you to a stock or custom that will make your heart skip beat. Pray Tell!

Guest dragon fly jones

Welcome to the forum.

I would look for something in between, I have a 163 with a 11 meter side cut and a 168 with 11 meter side cut, I race and that explains the difference hills courses etc etc and being just a tad off personally. but I digress, there are not a plethora of boards that can match what you do, we are the almost the same size am an inch taller and ten pounds less and I have had to go out and get boards made and hunt up stuff that is odd for me to ride.

Really if you have the chance to ride them in your situation do it and go with the one(s) that work - that is a vanilla response but I would not feel right endorsing one over the other as they each have their positive and negative sides I would free carve the volkl even buy it but that is now as a coach and non - competitive rider (not that i really ever was but I had copious amounts of fun and got to me Phil, Fin, Thedo, Arch and a whole host of people from around the world) ride'em all and then lay down your hard earn cash, euros, dracmah's, loonies and toonie, kuphats or lira on what works for you.

No experience with the Volkl but have a few days on the Nidecker 170. Fun board - they're easy to ride, yet perform well! It's a tight turner (11.2 scr) but will hold at decent speed. The board is 18.8 at the waist, so it's something to consider if you have bigger feet and have an issue with riding higher angles. The one I rode actually belongs to my dad and he's about 5'11" and in the 190-200 lb range - he LOVES it! (He's actually putting some customized touches on the top sheet - maybe he'll let me post some pics when it's done :biggthump ).

The next size board up in the series(177) has a 19.5 waist and a 13.5 scr. Though you say you have narrow trails, I've ridden this deck in narrowish/medium trails and had no problem cranking it around. Don't be afraid of even going mid/upper 170s.