Note to New Members ×

New Board suggestions

mikestrain

I am so psyched I found this site! I am a one-time skier and switched over to boarding about 8 years ago living in Sun Valley ID. I have had to take the last two years off due to injury and traveling but am healthy and ready to have a great winter. Problem is, my gear is ancient! I have the Nordica SBH hardboots that are still in good shape, it is my boards that are relics. My all time favorite all-mountain board is the Burton M6. I have a couple of these since they were demos in the shop I worked in. I am looking for something similar but newer. I am 6'3" and about 215 and the M6 I have is a 163 which is boarderline too small. I also have a Rossi race board that is super stiff, and a Burton Big Air 183 I think, only good for bottomless powder.

So, any suggestions would be great, I would like to purchase something asap for the upcoming holidays. I do have a couple sets of plate bindings but would prefer a whole setup as I think my plate bindings may have cracks on the under side of them.

suggestions? Want a all-around board - stable on the groomers, quick in the bumps, be able to take anywhere.

thanks much, I live in Denver and can meet you anywhere if you are looking to sell what I need.

Mike

Check out the Donek Axis 172cm/177 or the Prior 4WD 174cm/179. Both are excellent go-anywhere do-anything all mountain carvers and hold a mean edge, but are wide and versatile enough to go off piste.

As far as bindings, you may be able to score an inexpensive, but bomb proof binding by watching the classifieds for any used Bomber TD1s or Catek Olympics. Both are basically indestructable and can usually be had for less than $150. Read about the pros/cons/differences between the two here.

Or if you can, splurge and get the TD2's here by visiting the store at this site, or the OS2 at http://catek.com/

Both are $289.

I am so psyched I found this site! I am a one-time skier and switched over to boarding about 8 years ago living in Sun Valley ID. I have had to take the last two years off due to injury and traveling but am healthy and ready to have a great winter. Problem is, my gear is ancient! I have the Nordica SBH hardboots that are still in good shape, it is my boards that are relics. My all time favorite all-mountain board is the Burton M6. I have a couple of these since they were demos in the shop I worked in. I am looking for something similar but newer. I am 6'3" and about 215 and the M6 I have is a 163 which is boarderline too small. I also have a Rossi race board that is super stiff, and a Burton Big Air 183 I think, only good for bottomless powder.

So, any suggestions would be great, I would like to purchase something asap for the upcoming holidays. I do have a couple sets of plate bindings but would prefer a whole setup as I think my plate bindings may have cracks on the under side of them.

suggestions? Want a all-around board - stable on the groomers, quick in the bumps, be able to take anywhere.

thanks much, I live in Denver and can meet you anywhere if you are looking to sell what I need.

Mike

Mike. . . . ill be short and sweet.

If money is no object. . . Donek, Prior or coiler all have boards that will meet your needs and then some. Most of them also sell the bindings to go with them. Based on the fact that you live in Denver, I would reccomend (my favorite of those three) donek bar none over the rest. simple reason, they are in your back yard. You can go talk to them, see some boards being made, and order what you want directly from someone in your nieghborhood. I am TOOO jealous of the luxury you have there. If you need help picking a particular board to fit your needs. . . I can offer some opinions with some further details of how you like to ride, what angles you think you want to ride and your foot size. Sean has the ability to build you ANYTHING you want. . . but probably already has a stock board to fit your needs.

As for bindings. At your weight. . . I would go with either the Cateks or the Bombers. The "local" sentiment stated above would say buy some bombers, they are only an hour or two away from you. The end user in me makes me want to say . . . damn I love my cateks. Both are awesome bindings and will serve you well.

best of luck!!!

-Todd

Board - I would go with something in the 170 range. My favorite is the 171 Donek Freecarve I, but a close second is the 170 Nidecker GS. One I'd like to try is the F2 Silberpfeil. All three coincidently enough are available through Bomber! These are all great general Freecarve boards - not race specific boards which can be a handful. If you do a lot off piste riding then the Donek Axis/Prior 4WD would be a more appropriate choice.

Bindings - you’re a big boy - get big boy bindings. Bomber or Catek. Personally I prefer the simplicity of the Bombers but you can't go wrong either way. At your size stay far away from Burton Raceplates. F2 plates are another popular option.

Boots - I know debates have raged about snowboard boots vs ski boots but I think if you have the money a good snowboard specific boot that is fit properly is the most important component. There are basically two choices Deelux (Raichle) or Head. I'm very happy with my Deelux Suzukas

good luck

Glad you found your way to the fold. I don't know about the custom boards but the Burton Frontier is a ripping carver (for freeride type) and a 170 is good size. I have one of the 185s which I absolutely love. It is a little big for the Olympic trees but in the bowls it is just smashing.

Haven't talked in a while. So be in touch my man.

Jerry

I'm surprised Jack hasn't chimed in yet, but I'm sure he'll be along shortly.... :D I second the F2 Silberpfiel suggestion, I own a 2003 model and love it, I'm even considering picking up a new one. I also agree with nekdut & ~tb that if price is no object than go for the customs available in your own backyard. I'm hoping one day to be able to afford/justify the custom board for myself. As far as bindings, I'm 6'3" 195 and have been riding F2 Intecs the last 3 seasons with no problems. I'll be on my first pair of TD's this season and might even try some OS2's if the board I want comes through. Boots like every other piece of equipment are subjective, it depends on what you want. I moved from AF700's the last 2 seasons to Lemans' this year to get a little more flex and comfort, we'll see how it works out. You've found a great source for information and input here on Bomber, glad to have another member of our great sport,

Have fun,

Paul

... seriously consider a Donek Axis. I'm 195 pounds, and find the 172 to a great all-around carver/freerider. With your extra 20 pounds, you might look at the 177. It should be wide enough so you can run angles in the 50's for whatever boot size you wear, the width gives it a little more powder flotation than a straight-up alpine board but it's still excellent an carving up the groomed.

The other ones to look at are the Prior 4x4 and Coiler All-Mtn. Coiler has a long wait list and isn't even accepting orders right now. I have no personal experience with the Priors - but given your Colorado location, why not just go Donek? (Not just to support the local guy - remember, they were developed in similar conditions to what you will be riding!)

As for bindings, at your size I recommend Cateks or Bombers. I've ridden both as well as some others, and Bomber and Catek are, to this recreational freecarver/freerider anyway, miles ahead of the others I've tried. I currently have my whole quiver outfitted with Bomber TD2 - I wanted to "standardize" so that I could move parts around the most easily - but for all I know, I might be just as happy with the new Cateks. (I still suspect the suspended design on the Bombers does more for me than the increased cant/lift flexibility with Cateks though....)

Boots - I've been riding variants of the Raichle SB series for years, and generally liked them although I seemd to crask quite a few shells (and I've not heard of anyone else with this problem - which made me suspect my weight and the fact that I rode them in Powder mode was to blame???

Anyways, I've got one day on my new Deeluze Suzukas and so far, so good...

Definitely time to upgrade. You will be very pleased to find that the gear has improved a great deal since the M6 and Big Air.

I don't recall a 183cm, but if you are interested in trading new for old , take a look at some of the current big pow boards I have available. Might have an alpine or two for you also.

Send photos of what you have to trade and I will narrow it down and send photos back of what might work for you.

You carve, you carve , you carve!!

Wecome and enjoy!!! Bryan