Note to New Members ×

Should I learn how to ski after all these years?

Frank Morales

I was a skier for years and years. Followed all the racing stuff. Love alpine carving.

The grandfathers of hard turns (to me) are some of these guys. Mind you there are SO many others. As surfing progressed, body angulation did also. Part through equipment, part through performance, part through these people putting in a bunch of days in creating whatever you want to call it. Bottom turns, lip slashing, carving, cutbacks. There are so many good surfers now but this cross cut of guys says it to me.

Cabell

Caroll

Richards

Ken D

ps: All due respect to the photographers.

post-538-141842208874_thumb.jpg

post-538-141842208876_thumb.jpg

post-538-141842208878_thumb.jpg

I skied twice in 1993-4 then when i got my licence and car 3 years ago, i went all out. I skied any chance I could. I skiied Tuckerman's Ravine and I am also able to do any terrain on the East Coast (Thats not really saying much). My only problem is that, yes I can go down any East coast mountain, but I have the worst form ever. Now I'm transfering over to plates and I can't wait. I'm going for my first time this Sunday. I also ski on snoblades (100 cm skies) and those are a blast! I'm just worried about finding time for it all.

Whatever you choose to do, just make sure you rent gear first before you throw hundreds of dollars into something you might not like. Since no mountains that I'm aware of in my area rent carving boards and boots, I just jumped right in. I know I'll love it because of the money I spent.

Not so fond for the ski jumper in question!

Fondest for me is Franz Klammer's gold medal run on the Hahnenkamm in 1976. Total nutso, there-is-no-tomorrow banzai run.

Most gruesome memory: on the same course in the late 80's when Brian Stemmle caught his ski tip on a safety fence then proceeded to straddle it and ride the top of the fence at 75mph. Nearly ripped him in half. The fact that he came back to compete again amazes me.

Is it me or is World Cup ski racing just not as thrilling as it used to be? Did they tame the courses?