Note to New Members ×

How many of you are dating/married to a skiier/boarder?

Guest astan100

Does your significant Other Ski or Snowboard  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Does your significant Other Ski or Snowboard

• No, they dont' ski or snowboard...and I cry a lot
    • Yes, but they are not as into as me and don't go as often
    • Yes, they come with me most of the time, but just to humor me
    • Yes, they are just as hardcore as me

Guest astan100

Hey Guys,

I saw some comments about significant others who don't ski/ride and it made wonder how you deal with it.

Pretty much, the girl I've been dating for 5-6 months doesn't ski/snowboard and refuses to even try for a multitude of sort of ridiculous reasons. The most important one, which is legit, is that she has bad hips and yada yada, they'll hurt. She also doens't like speed...which is probably hindering her.

In any case, I was wondering what the rest of you guys do/did to get your significant other started or how you deal with her not going.

I'm kind of bummed because I forsee a lot of vacations with my friends that I can't take her on or she won't come to. I'm NOT going to give up my hobby for her...I'll tell you that much.

In any case, any thoughts are welcome.

-Allen

My wife was skiing long before I met her. She thought snowboarding looked fun, but never tried it until we were dating. She asked me - I am in the "I don't force (or suggest) my sports on a date" school of thought. So since she asked, I could not refuse. I put her on a Burton Air 4.1 with Rossi boots and Burton bindings which I paid for (while still dating). She rode that for a couple of years and then wanted to try my smallest FR board (still way too big for her but she insisted). I let her try and she did well. Then I got the idea that she would have more power over the board in hardboots (plus she would be more like me). She rides hardboots on my old FR board to this day.

I will be getting a pair of short skis to teach my daughter on this year, so I have encouraged her to get on them and try skiing again. Ever since she converted, she really has not been interested in skiing.

She is definitely not as core as I am and I don't want her to be. I enjoy my time on the mt. without her, and I enjoy my time on the mt. with her.:biggthump

"She who must be obeyed" is a hard core skier from Quebec and I'm the crazy hardbooter from Florida. I have to give the wife credit. She tried snowboarding a total of four different outings including two sets of lessons (not by me - no way, no how). She came in noon on the fourth trip, turned in her board and asked for her skis back. Crazy two-planker and neanderthal boarder couple - who would've thunk it...

You missed a categroy in the survey. Those whose significant other does NOT snowboard, and they are happy with that. I echo jdgang's comments - it's nice to have that thing that is truly yours (unlike the house, the cars, the furniture, the KIDS!).

My girlfriend has been snowboarding way longer than I have and is damn good at it. She got me into it and now I'm hooked. She may regret it now considering I'm more into it than she is but it's nice having a girl that can rip it up and essentially hold her own with the majority of dudes on the slopes. What sucks is that she tried carving once when I bought her some equipment but she didn't care for it too much. She's gonna stick with her softies and maybe, just maybe, bust out the carving gear once a season if that.

Four years ago I married a woman whom I had met through our ski club. She used to telemark in Colorado but playing soccer into her forties took its toll on her knees. She did a little downhill skiing when we first got together and even took two snowboard lessons. The first was fine, the second was a sheer ice day and that cured her of ever trying it again. Today at 53, she's certified by A.S.I.A. to teach cross country and is content to do that. When we go to Europe she's happy to be a tourist and do a little cross country skiing.

She has no objection to my devoting a lot of time to board racing and ski racing and enjoys time at our VT condo while I'm on the slopes. At least one weekend a month she stays in CT to unwind and that works well for both of us.

This January we're taking the skinny skis to Jackson, WY and will spend a long-promised week in Yellowstone. And yes, I have managed to schedule at least a day at Jackson Hole.

In the summer I play golf and ride my bike and unicycle. She enjoys biking so we usually do rides on Monday nights. Have there been compromises? Sure. I gave up tennis and only race one night instead of two but I can certainly live with that.

Everyone needs to find a balance that works well for both parties.

I met my boyfriend at a ski/board shop a few years ago. he's a snowboarder-i'd say good intermediate, and a great skier-far better than i'll ever be. These were all definate pluses. The big thing that won me over was his lack of the typical male ego-no offense but most guys can't deal with a girl, especially their girlfriend, being better at a sport than them. I have some days where i go out without him-he totally understands,his riding interests are not all the same as mine, some days when he busts out the skiis-easier for him to keep up, and some days where we both board and just relax and take it easy. And, occasionally, he'll find me while i'm working and jump into one of my lessons. Gotta love a guy who wants to progress.

I've dated non-skiers/boarders i nthe past and it just doesn't work out. They usually end up getting mad because I spend too much time on the mountain. Now, whenever that situation arises, he just joins me on the snow.

My wife loves to snowboard. But the thing that bothers me is how she gets upset if I skip work to ride. Even on a big powder day, she hassles me for calling in sick. That could make or break a relationship to some of us.

Not cool to hassle for powder. If she doesn't like your current addiction maybe you could try H or coke or meth?

Now those are destructive addictions. I reccommend powder counseling ASAP.

My gal of 3 1/2 yrs is really active but cold is getting to be a real problem. Dawn suffers from Fibromyalgia and cold agravates it. She has always enjoyed being sports active (long track speed skating on ice) roller hockey with her children, snowboarding from way back, skiing, bike riding etc... Bless her heart:1luvu:

We do go skiing and boarding quite a bit. Our skill levels and strength/endurance differ quite a bit, so we do split up and go separate ways from time to time. But when we are together on the slopes it is really great to be around her.

I'm looking forward and wondering how much longer her body can hold up, when it will be time to trade her in on a pair of 25 yr olds....:eplus2:

NO... in all honesty, I'm seriously considering how much time we spend in these athletics so that she's not tempted to over-do it. I'm hoping for a long and comfortable life for us!! :biggthump

I had been skiing for close to twenty years when I met my hubby (a certified ski and snowboard instructor) and told him I was a pretty good skier. We went skiing together for the first time after dating for about two months. He put me through the paces and finally said "yes, you are a pretty good skier". Well, duh, I had told him so. I refused, however, to get on a board. "Why start falling down again and being stuck on the green runs?" I thought. Well, two seasons later I got a very "thoughtful" gift: a non-returnable hardboot set-up which robbed me of any good reason not to at least try it. The result - well, what can I say :D

Being compatible in this regard is certainly a huge plus in our book; we spent our honeymoon at Snowbird and retirement planning is done almost exclusively by comparing nearby resorts. Right now, SLC is in the lead.

Same here Phil. I got shorties for my wife to ski on while our daughter was learning. She never used em, Nina happily skied in Mom's track, while I skied behind with the tether for speed control.

I did find that attaching the tether at boot level was far better than the hip & certainly the chest harnesses. Doesn't pull the CM back, & helps start foot steering. All I did was loop a long tie-down strap at each boot. Worked great around the back foot on her snowboard too!

No greater reward than seeing your kid love it!

Have fun

My wife Bonnie got me into boarding too. I was a terminal-intermediate skier but she got me to try boarding and I never looked back. I got into carving on my own, and while she still does ride softies most of the time, she does have her very own hardboot setup and is actually progressing much faster than I did. The fact that we attended a SnowPeformance camp to get her started out helped a ton.

When I met my wife she had been a skier for about 20yrs already. I'd been snowboarding for 1yr and only on softys. After I switched to hard boots she saw how much fun I had and tried boarding in softys to start and now has a hard boot setup too. She's not quite at my speed yet but with practice I'm sure she'll be able to keep up. My daughter is 4 now so we need to get her going too.

Any thoughts on where to start? Skis to start or find a tiny board and boots and let her rip? Do any mountains even offer kids boarding at 4yrs old? Do they even make boards for that age group?:confused:

Anyway If I were still single and a boarder I wouldn't settle for someone not into snow sports or at least they'd have to be a very understanding person that knew I had an addiction.

I think many skiers if you can get them to take a lesson soon learn how much fun boarding is.

I'd definitely get the kids skiing first-most resorts offer lessons to really little kids way before they offer snowboarding lessons....

I got my kids into skiing first...reasons 1. get used to sliding on snow 2. have no qualms about the lift

My daughter opted to ski--reason there, she's quite the "stepdaddy's" girl

My son is raring to start riding-definitely a "mama's boy" :eplus2: