Note to New Members ×

loon vs waterville?

Guest ethanpt

I was at WV on Sunday. Considering all of the rain we've had, I was pleasantly surprised--the conditions were better than expected. Overall, the coverage was fair and some trails were soft and well groomed. Trails on the Northside were hardpack and slightly scratchy. Most exposed areas and some ice patches were marked with bamboo sticks. Eventhough it was a holiday weekend, lift lines weren't too bad and the trails weren't overly crowded even with 36/52 trails open. Temperatures have dropped from the balmy March-like Sun/Mon, so I would expect conditions to morph into the good ol' fashion New England crust/hardpack/loose-granular for the rest of the week. Sharpen up those edges!! Your best bet is to be on the mountain when the lifts open at 8am. Most of the good snow will be scratched off and conditions will deteriorate by late morning.

Loon was good despite the rain, cover was better than the week before (they must have pushed snow around before the xmas rain). If you've got a pass, I'd choose Loon before WV. If you've got to pay I wouldn't spend 60 bucks this week, I'd sit and find out who's going to play the Pats next week...

Enzo,

We were there last Friday. Short lines were the best part, no one was there. It must have been a travel day for all the vacationers. I heard a rumor about more snow, but haven't checked TWC yet. Let's pray...

We will also be there possibly Friday Jan 2, but definitely Sat & Sun 1/3-4. We meet up at the Bunyan Room, if you're around.

-Jason