Note to New Members ×

New tires

kamran

they didnt have the 1.8t GLI when I got mine so I had to settle for the Plat Grey 1.8t GLS. Love the car though handling accecleration and gas mileage all in one package

your car doesn;t perform any better or worse than mine either, so i dont think you had to settle at all. put a rieger body kit on that and drop it with some 30mm springs and you got a sick looking car that beats the hell out of my stocky anyday.:biggthump

It's my understanding that the main advantage of low profile tires is reduced deformation, especially when cornering. These look like they could be made relatively stiff even with a tall profile. That's interesting.

With bigger wheels you not only add weight, you add weight to the outer portion of something that needs to be spun up / spun down when accelerating and braking... adding 2 pounds to the outside of all 4 rims is worse than just adding 8 pounds of lead in your trunk. So running lighter wheels with higher profile "tires" might be a pretty good thing.

Well, maybe.

If I remember right, these same photos made the news about a year ago (maybe it was early '05) but I don't recall reading that they were destined for production. It'll be interesting to see how the pros and cons add up in reality.

Oh, and you can adjust these too - the same way you adjust the damping on a TD2s or the cant on TD1s. Just swap out a harder set for a softer set. :)