Note to New Members ×

New tires

kamran

Hope they work out.

For those folks that love new technology.

Radical NewTire design by Michelin

Those 'flex' tires again...

No air! And much less petroleum in their manufacture. Check these out...

Thought you might like to see the next generation of tires. They had a pair at the Philadelphia Car show.

Attached are pictures of the new Michelin tires. These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon.

The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these tires.

This is what great R&D will do and j ust think of the impact on existing technology:

· no more air valves

· no more air compressors at gas stations

· no more repair kits

* Sorry for being off topic, but there's still no snow in tahoe :freak3:

fog5t4.jpg

fog5yb.jpg

I wonder how they would mount up to existing rims, or if special rims will be needed.

It probably won't be too difficult to manufacture those tires with a protective membrane to prevent debris/snow/ice/water from getting inside. (and it's probably how they will arrive to mass-market.)

Where's the number dispenser? I'll take a set or two! I got "screwed" the other day, and actually had to use my donut. :)

I wonder how they would mount up to existing rims, or if special rims will be needed.

look like stock rims to me. the black part is part of the tire I assume...an adapter of sorts, otherwise everyone would have to buy new rims all around.

they look ugly as hell imo, but if theyre less wasteful, more durable, more environmentally friendly, and most of all stable and reliable, cool!

Who cares about convenience from not having to check inflation pressures? The real benefit comes from the fact that they now have independent control of tire stiffness on two axes. Stiff sidewalls improve performance but decrease ride quality. With these new Michelins, you can get the benefits of a stiff sidewall but without the tradeoff in ride quality.

Guest Randy S.
look like stock rims to me. the black part is part of the tire I assume...an adapter of sorts, otherwise everyone would have to buy new rims all around.

they look ugly as hell imo, but if theyre less wasteful, more durable, more environmentally friendly, and most of all stable and reliable, cool!

Not stock rims at all. Its called a Twheel. For Tire/Wheel combo. Special rims (notice how small they are) mated to the tire assembly. I would imagine they'll be skirted/protected in some way, but I've only seen photos like those.

This is last year's news. Are they closer to production now?

Guest Randy S.
they look interesting but i have 18 BBS rims with 40 series tires. i wonder if they will make a low profile version of it.

The thing is like 1/2" thick? How much lower profile are you looking for? Maybe I'm confused.

The thing is like 1/2" thick? How much lower profile are you looking for? Maybe I'm confused.

let me clairify, my tires now are only about two or three inches thick.

100_0374.jpg

rubber bands if you will. this "tire" is actually about six inches thick mounted on what looks like a 15 or 14 inch rim. so, since the ribing is needed to make the tire springy, i wonder if they will have a version which can fit larger rims like in the picture, with less material between the band around rim and the outter band which contacts the ground.

i say this becuase i like the way large rims look, but hate how easy it is for low profile tires to get damaged.

these would solve the problem.

:lol: Should improve the drama in police chases?? :eplus2:

The legal world will likely have their way with it after the first child gets there hand stuck in it.

Should be handy for adding color lights to them for Christmas time? :eplus2:

PS, I bet your wives can still catch them on fire after high centering or getting stuck. :flamethro

Just curious - does anyone know why performance street tires are getting lower and lower in profile, but race tires are nowhere near the same? Look at an F1 car, it's a pretty small radius rim and a lot of sidewall. Now they're selling Corvettes with 30 or 35 series tires. What gives with the different approach to performance?

Just curious - does anyone know why performance street tires are getting lower and lower in profile, but race tires are nowhere near the same? Look at an F1 car, it's a pretty small radius rim and a lot of sidewall. Now they're selling Corvettes with 30 or 35 series tires. What gives with the different approach to performance?

low profile tires do not perform better, in fact they have their share of problems: eg. flats, more likley to blow out when hit hard, and requires large rim which inceases weight. (larger tire more air, air weighs less than aluminum.) that being said, the reason these "sports cars" all come with little tires is because large wheels with little tires looks damn good.

in fact a friend of mine has the same car i do except i have 18 wheels and he is a good 3/10 of a second fast than me just because he has 16s.

let me clairify, my tires now are only about two or three inches thick.

100_0374.jpg

rubber bands if you will. this "tire" is actually about six inches thick mounted on what looks like a 15 or 14 inch rim. so, since the ribing is needed to make the tire springy, i wonder if they will have a version which can fit larger rims like in the picture, with less material between the band around rim and the outter band which contacts the ground.

i say this becuase i like the way large rims look, but hate how easy it is for low profile tires to get damaged.

these would solve the problem.

Nice Plat Gray GLI

F1 high-profile tires are a convention of the rules, not of performance. I'm not sure when (Might be as soon as '06, but probably '07) but the wheel size limits are changing, and we'll be seeing lower-profile tires and larger wheel diameters on F1 cars. IIRC, wheel size limitations was intended to limit brake rotor diameter. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there must be a certain amount of "meat" on the sidewalls to help withstand high-downforce applications. (IE: F1)

If you look at GT or Touring cars, they all have low-profile tires. There are plenty of race cars out there running low-profile tires in 16" and 17" diameters. The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup is very popular in 17" applications, and is a fantastic track tire.

One of the benefits to a low profile tire is a smaller slip-angle and greater responsiveness.

The pictures above of the Audi shod with the prototypes ... It looks like the tires are retro-fitted to two-piece Fikse wheels ... but without the second, outer piece.

If you look at GT or Touring cars, they all have low-profile tires. There are plenty of race cars out there running low-profile tires in 16" and 17" diameters. The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup is very popular in 17" applications, and is a fantastic track tire.

One of the benefits to a low profile tire is a smaller slip-angle and greater responsiveness.

QUOTE]

Every tire is different, which is pretty much what is said above. It really depends on application. This prototype tire referenced above will never go anywhere in the performance market, and is likely just a reaction to the suv air pressure fiasco from a few years ago.

Sports cars need adjustability for any sort of track or autocross use. I autocrossed an '03 GTI 20th AE last year, and adjusting air pressure was the only way to get the affect of expensive adjustable shocks. This new tire would obviously not allow that.

This thing will likely see some limited production in a revised form (to fix the mud/snow/ice/etc dilemma) and be used on minivans and SUV's. I know my Rabbit racecar and 350Z are sticking with air.

Cheers to new stuff though! It does look pretty mean... I think spike strips could be replaced with a stick through the spokes!!! :eplus2:

thanks!! shes my baby.

I've got a lovely "Blue Lagoon" GLI in my driveway...

I took off the front skirt for the winter and also added steel wheels and winter tires...the car now looks like a BEAST!

Great car though. The turbo is awesome and it's a fact, the summer tires/wheels look awesome!!

-Gord

I took off the front skirt for the winter and also added steel wheels and winter tires...the car now looks like a BEAST!

Great car though. The turbo is awesome and it's a fact, the summer tires/wheels look awesome!!

-Gord

Doesn't the GLI have a VR6 (or maybe it's the old model which does...)?

Doesn't the GLI have a VR6 (or maybe it's the old model which does...)?

Yes, normally the MKIV GLi has a VR6. but the GLi Gtanner and I have is the last of the MKIV, a special edition which came with a 1.8T and a bunch of other goddies like recaro seats and a body kit.

-Gord

If I end up moving to the mountains I'm going to need to trade in for a torreg or something cause i molded my bumpers to the valence and they aren't coming off, i'm not going to torrture my car with mountain driving.