Note to New Members ×

slope vigilante

dano

Anyone else do this? Someone aggrevates you on the hill in some way, directly or indirectly, so you slow down, let them get ahead, carefully size them up, plot a course and slice by close so they get pasted by your super high volume rooster tail, preferably in the face with no googles in slushy conditions...oooops sooory....

Bwaaaahahahahahahahaahha!

Next time leave the Yankees cap at home!

Thats awesome. I try to do it to my buddies only, but I might keep it in my repertoire of tricks.

Last year I got snowed bigtime. I just finished poping out of my bindings for the third time. This time both opened up (they were borrowed from a friend as I broke mine in the morning) and I did a superman on the hill and slid on my ass to a stop. I was totally bummed because that meant my day was over before 11:00 and it was the last day I would be riding for the season.

The one of my friend's wife comes by and was pushing about 3 yards of snow in front of her and dumped it all down my back while I was sitting on the run.

That just put the icing on the cake, I gave her the nastiest look ever. She told me later that it was the first time she snowed someone and she felt really really bad especially after I told her my sob story.

I'm all about burying my friends under a good wave of snow while they are parked, and I've taken my fair share.

There are times where it just isn't fun: One day I was sitting on the trailside recovering, and a friend sprays me. If it wasn't 0 degrees out, it would have been funny, but that day, it HURT! :angryfire

When some unknown snowslider aggravates me, I let it go. I've never been accosted or assaulted, so I can't say how I'd react. But given the choice of chasing someone down for a slight, or carving turns, I'd rather go carve more turns. But don't slam into me and run off; That's just not cool.

Stay safe this season! :1luvu:

done it to friends, but thats it. probably not a good idea really...

last year had a few altercations though...one of which a Bachelor employee turned into Timinor, from above him...a "crossing" trail they were both on, with me behind, and she heelsides right into him and immediately starts cussing at him!

I couldnt believe it.

lets put it this way- if you wear a dayglow orange full body hunting suit complete with welding mask for gogles (i hope it was no more than a number 3 lense) to the hill, i think that you are pretty much asking for it, but like everything, there are limits which one must adhere to, ezpecially if you dont intend on appearing in the scope of a high power hunting rifle from the parking lot... :AR15firin

I actually ran into an old guy on the hill a couple seasons ago. My fault as I came up on him too fast. I didn't knock him down, thankfully. Then I saw him at the bottom of the run and rushed over to apologise to him but ran over his skis! I was expecting to get the gears but he just smiled and waved it off. I try to adopt the same attitude now on the slopes.

It's bad enough getting there on the highways, do we really need slope rage?

I try to be as gracious as possible -- we all have to share the hill. Mind you, the way some skiers try to rush by you is annoying (especially since I am a pretty high level skier myself) especially when you know they have this "attitude" about snowboarders sharing "their" runs. :angryfire OK, I'm starting to get worked up now! what happened to the gracious guy a couple sentences ago? :smashfrea

Skategoat -- ya got the right attitude! :biggthump

the dayglow hunter orange is good. personally i enjoy the dude in full on arctic cat snowmachine attire complete with the huge snowmachine helmet. bobblehead on skiis

A friend and I had been doing some winter hunting in the Badlands of western South Dakota. I told my buddy that I'd meet him at Terry Peak (in the Black Hills around Lead/Deadwood) for some skiing. When we met up he was wearing his COMPLETELY WHITE winter camo hunting suit. In a slight haze he was completely invisible on the slopes. Under typical conditions he was difficult to see unless you were fairly near and looking for him. More than once I had the illusion of runaway loose skis! I convinced him to reverse the camo to show the "woodland" pattern.

when we were out for early ups. About five inches of fresh on top of carveable cord. It was awesome you could lay a full eurocarve and actuall go under the snow it was light enough you wouldn't boot out. For some reason I had out my Burner 188 and being the nice guy I let him go first for the freshie. About half way down the run when I had figured out super carvy this snow was I started charging a little harder and kind of snuck up on him and either had to pass or come to abrupt stop. I passed going about mach lickity split and ended up just pasting this poor guy. Like snow coned up on his goggles coming to a little point. And he had paid $250 for a morning of fun. I felt bad but he said it was one of the most impressive things that he had seen on a board and if he hadn't slowed down to watch me he wouldn't have got it.

But no I don't chase people down and spray them on purpose.

Jerry

Anyone else do this? Someone aggrevates you on the hill in some way, directly or indirectly, so you slow down, let them get ahead, carefully size them up, plot a course and slice by close so they get pasted by your super high volume rooster tail, preferably in the face with no googles in slushy conditions...oooops sooory....

Bwaaaahahahahahahahaahha!

Next time leave the Yankees cap at home!

Dano, ever hook somebody from behind with your board at high speed taking thier legs out and almost sliding into the woods together in a tangled pig pile mess ? Next time, just pass me. Oh, that's right, you'll never get past me. Come ride with us on Sunday at the River. Demo day !

Bwaaaahahahahahahahaahha! :lol:

Hey! I was going MUCH faster than you, albeit sliding on my back in the dead cockroach position. ( on good old Eastern Boiler Plate )

Damn Secret Service!

Actually it was you who "showed" me the carving rooster tail trick.

Unintentionally of course.

Lighten up, geeks...

just dont remember it ever being mentioned. I thought you were a professional photog, actually...

I do a lot of photography, been published in Snowboarder and Snowboard Life as well as NY Times Sunday Magazine and several other publications. Was full time five years (only photography), river guide in the summer for 14 years (now only very part time) and I have a custom framing shop and gallery in downtown Ketchum and two daughters under five. I'll guess I will sleep when I am dead 'cause I sure don't get much now.

Best,

Jerry

Other than me screaming at her, Jerry gave my wife her first hardboot lesson. So it's his fault i now have to fight with her when we get to the mountain nice and early over who gets to poach the fresh cord and who gets to ride with our kids. Jerry (toeside arm holding a loaf of bread/ line up your toes, knee, hip and shoulder w/ the nose of your board) it was a good start, she rips now after 8 years on an alpine board. :1luvu:

Other than me screaming at her, Jerry gave my wife her first hardboot lesson. So it's his fault i now have to fight with her when we get to the mountain nice and early over who gets to poach the fresh cord and who gets to ride with our kids. Jerry (toeside arm holding a loaf of bread/ line up your toes, knee, hip and shoulder w/ the nose of your board) it was a good start, she rips now after 8 years on an alpine board. :1luvu:

Thanks for the kind words Johnny. As long as it works I guess that is the important thing. Nice to hear she is ripping. Anything to stop the over rotating that is so problematic sometimes.

Best,

Jerry

Hey! I was going MUCH faster than you, albeit sliding on my back in the dead cockroach position. ( on good old Eastern Boiler Plate )

Damn Secret Service!

Actually it was you who "showed" me the carving rooster tail trick.

Unintentionally of course.

Lighten up, geeks...

Geeks ? Are you talkin' to ME ? Dude, we miss ya in the posse. You know I crave to "frost" gapers standing in the wrong spot on the trail. FULL ON hockey skate stop cloud of pow.Bwaaaahahahahahahahaahha! Check out the sick air on this one.Lobotomy Bob was ripping at SR yesterday.We needed you and your kernels. :biggthump

post-123-14184220892_thumb.jpg