Note to New Members ×

Mammoth next weekend?

garyj

Hey Gary,

I'll be up there, but I'm not too sure about when I'll be on the hill as I will be dealing with my lodging situation up there for a good portion of the weekend. Since there won't be too many runs open, it should be fairly easy to spot another hardbooter. I'll keep any eye out for you when I'm on the slopes.

-Neil

Neil email me you local Mammoth number or your cell phone so we can keep in touch. Trying to get another rider to share the ride with, so far no takers---just a little too early for most people I guess. Conditions are always a consideration. See ya. GC

Aaron, I just talked with Erwin yesterday (Tuesday) and he said that riders were having to walk around the mud to get to the lift. National weather service is calling for weather in the mid 60's for the rest of the week :angryfire I have had no such luck getting a good I idea on the riding conditions from the cams, will have to make some phone calls to know more. If it doesn't work out this weekend, I'll take a raincheck on the ride share. I plan to go up a lot this season and will need to minimize the gas bill. Also would like to make some turns locally.

Gary, I checked the weather forecast and you are correct, highs in the 60s, I agree with you, I will hold off also. Let me know when you are going up though, I will be more than happy to ride/drive with you.

Also, I have a dual mtn pass for Summit and Bear, purchased it with gdboytyler last year so I am good to go to make many day trips locally. I wish I would hav bought the pass for last years season, I could be riding already. :smashfrea

I wish I would hav bought the pass for last years season, I could be riding already. :smashfrea

At summit/bear? already? I've been out of SoCal for some years now, is Big Bear just a giant park now? That's what their website suggests. I always liked summit better anyways.

JayJ, you are almost correct, Bar Mtn. does have 80% of their mtn covered in features, jibs, rails, boxes and whatever else that softies like to bang their boards against, the 20% that is left remains feature free. Runs like Fascination, Geronimo and a few others are good for carving.

Snow Summit on the other hand has shifted most of the features over to Bear Mtn. so other than Westridge, Summit remains free of all the features making this a better place to carve.

We are going to MM Wednesday to spend Thanksgiving with our friends from Footloose…

I guess INSTEAD of any boards, I take my mountain bike, running shoes and gym close... :rolleyes:

I have three days off in a row with no surf and no snow :mad: National weather service is still calling for more high pressure and mid 60's well into next week up there. I'm half tempted to take my bike up just to get out of town, and bring back some gear for the classifieds, but will probably hang tight untill more snow. Lower Rock Creek would be nice to ride next week, temps will be perfect!

Farmer's Almanac in saying that Novemer will slightly dryer than last year with several storms stacking in toward the end of month first of Dec. We'll see?

Gary, not all is lost. Some waves are coming this weekend with offshore winds.

Southern California Surf Forecast

Hey this is Chris with your Southern California surf forecast effective Thursday afternoon.

RECAP: A minor new bump of WNW swell lapped in on Thursday as an old mix of NW and SW swells dropped out. Most areas saw mainly weak knee high waves while top spots hit waist high.

OUTLOOK: A new, longer-period WNW ground swell starts to fill in on Friday then peaks over the weekend. There will also be some new Southern Hemi swell in the water then.

SHORT RANGE

Friday morning starts off slow with mainly the weak old swell mix and a steadily rising high tide which will top out at 6.1' at 9:30AM. There will also be the first signs of a new, long-period WNW(290+300+) ground swell in the water Friday morning. That swell will build in during the day as the tide backs out. By the afternoon well exposed spots will be seeing waist-chest-shoulder high waves from the WNW'er and top breaks will get head high sets.

Along with the rising WNW swell there will also be a new, heavily shadowed SW(205-220) Southern Hemi swell moving in on Friday. That's good for inconsistent waist high waves at the better exposed breaks, while standouts spots through South Orange County and parts of San Diego see shoulder high waves. The inconsistent SW’er will hold through Saturday and into Sunday.

Conditions: For Friday morning look for light to moderate offshore E to NE winds with stronger flow below passes and canyons. Afternoon winds will be lighter but still primarily offshore. That offshore flow continues into the weekend.

LONG RANGE

NPAC: The WNW(290+300+) groundswell filling in on Friday with reach its peak on Saturday. For the better winter breaks you can expect to see more chest-shoulder high surf then. Standout spots in San Diego, Ventura and select other areas get up to head high plus with some better sets. Those waves gradually wind down on Sunday and the trend towards small surf continues through the first part of the upcoming week. Going further out, there's potential for a new round of healthy WNW(290+300) groundswell to move in by the middle of next week then peak on Thanksgiving Thursday. The storm that's expected to generate that swell is just starting to form now and it still has a lot of growing to do, so be sure to stay tuned to the forecasts for the lastest updates.

SPAC: Fun size but inconsistent SW swell fills in Friday and holds through the weekend. Further out, a similar size SSW swell (190-205) is due for the 22nd-23rd (Tuesday-Wednesday of next week) with more knee-waist-chest high surf at good breaks, mainly in Orange County.

So I made a few turns today on the limited amount of runs that were open, and the snow was surprisingly VERY carvable. Even though its quite warm out, the snow stayed nice and packed and held an edge well. However since there were only 2 lifts running, the runs were VERY crowded.

Bring your rock board either way. I stayed on trail and still got a number of scratches. :mad:

The forcast for the Salt Lake Valley is sunny and mid to upper forties through next weekend. High pressure's great!!.....when you have a 6-8 foot base and it gets up into the low thirties for the high. C'mon!! Prolly a bit cooler up in Park City but doesn't look like any snow. They're probably blowing the race hill and the PayDay lift area. I believe there are some spouts at the base of Kin Con area as well. It's so damn late this year. I'm hurting deep inside.

So Tom,

Do you live around here now? I was thinking you were coming later.

Dave

Guest Tim Tuthill

Dave: I'll be up the first week in Jan. to stay. May be up prior to Dec 22nd?? I'll let you know. I saw the pic. Oh well it looks great. Going to have to wait. I don't do early obsticles!!

Tyler: Did you see the pics of Pipe for the last 2 days???

I haven't seen any photos from the swell that just hit the North Shore, but I did check out the webcam and reports for Pipe, 8 ft and epic. Huntington Beach was mostly waist high, with an occasional chest high set over the weekend. But the weather was beautiful, so it was worth it just to get wet and get some excercise.

From Nekdut's report, I'm glad I stayed local to surf the small stuff instead of making the trek to Mammoth for some rock boarding.

Wow, Mammoth looks bad :eek:

It started snowing right now and hopefully this will help to get them some base now... went up to main lodge yesterday, had a drink and had to leave... it was just to frustrating to see the crowd sliding down that hill with almost no snow...

Wow, Mammoth looks bad :eek:

It started snowing right now and hopefully this will help to get them some base now... went up to main lodge yesterday, had a drink and had to leave... it was just to frustrating to see the crowd sliding down that hill with almost no snow...

Ray,

Things should turn around soon. They got a little bit of fresh snow today, and things are looking good for the middle of next week. I'm not too worried. Mammoth does have an average of over 400 inches a year. It'll show up soon.

We just got majorly spoiled last year with 90" in October alone! :1luvu:

How was the traffic going up? Is the town crowded?

Yes we were truley spoiled the last several seasons with early starts and long seasons to follow. Mammoth always seems to pull through. Hope your able to make some turns Ray.

Neil are you settled in yet? Where you living up there? I was talking with Aaron about the WTC. Are any of you guys going to make it this year? It sounds like Aaron is pretty serous about making the trip and so am I.

Neil are you settled in yet? Where you living up there? I was talking with Aaron about the WTC. Are any of you guys going to make it this year? It sounds like Aaron is pretty serous about making the trip and so am I.

Hi Gary,

I have a good amount of work to do on my place so I probably won't be completely settled until at least the end of the year (which really isn't all that long from now, actually). I'm over in Sierra Manors across from the Chart House. You have a place over by Canyon right?